• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Complete Incompetence!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I had been on board with my kids, I would have given them 15 minutes warning, then blown a slide.....

Then do what? Trudge a 1/2 mile to a mile in freezing rain and snowstorm with your kids across Ice covered active taxi-ways with moving aircraft and ground equipment? Factor in the wind, you may have a good case of frostbite before you reach the terminal.

I realize that they were on the plane entirely way to long, but you can not let people jsut get out of the plane in the middle of the airport and go it on foot. The very least you need a bus, It is still much safer on the plane then pulling a stunt like that.

Freightdogs and jumpseaters, all monday-morning quarterbacking this one to death. I really enjoyed the tough guys talking about "blowing the slide himself, and giving the captain the finger on the way out".

You guys crack me up, see ya in the funny papers.

Hey FDF
Maybe he is a DC8 guy? In that case I hope the rope is attached! DOH!

To all the bigshots who would have blown a slide to evacuate passengers from a uncomfortable but safe environment, go get some help and while your at it, read the definitions of maturity and judgement and what being PIC means. You would have a hard time explaining to the FAA, the media(which seems to be a great source of accurate info according to you), or to a judge at your incompetence trial, why this was the better route than keeping people safely aboard. I was in the lineup, stuck for more than six hours after landing. Our choices were, as I saw them:
1. keep our cool, keep our passengers safe, lobby for a gate or someway to deplane safely. Keep customers informed that we were doing everything, short of evac, to get them off.
2. get irrational, threaten to do something stupid, do something stupid, regret it later when someone is was injured.
We chose the former.

We were fortunate in that we had a light load. Our lavs remained serviceable right up until we deplaned (they were full though) and we had made arrangements to have them serviced if needed. We had water, soda and juices, and beer:beer: , and of course blue chips and biscotti. Our APU was on the entire time and the cabin remained comfortable, and more importantly, safe.

No one, particularly those of us that were out there will defend what happened. But to anyone who would have blown a slide, you really need to stop and consider the ramifications of your actions before you fire off an ill conceived decision like that. This was not a V1 cut that needed instant action. Dealing with bad press because of management decisions is one thing. Trying to defend a stupid decision that results in injuries, made in haste because you're pissed off at a situation is much more difficult. We all know the statistics of passenger injury during evacs. Injuries would have happened. I could go on and on, but there are those who "get it" and those who never will. Your passenger SAFETY comes first, comfort second. You are the PIC of that aircraft, not the planet, and you have to do what is best for your passengers, even when they want to act like children and evac a safe airplane.

To anyone who brings up the lame "you lack a union so you were afraid for your job" argument my response is this: IT NEVER ENTERED MY MIND.

My company has a HUGE, well deserved black eye and is taking the criticism straight on, not deflecting it to other entities. I have not and will not respond to the criticism being heaped on JB. We deserve it. My rant is directed at the monday morning quarterbacks who were not there, attacking the professionals who were there. If you are "afraid" to jump to work on us because "we lack the balls to make the tough decisions" fine. Have fun walking to work, because I can't think of a single airline off the top of my head that hasn't had an accident, incident, "hostage event", cargo fire, etc. Hopefully your airline goes everywhere you need to go, because the rest of us in the industry are incompetent, according to your high school mentality definition of judgement.

To all the bigshots who would have blown a slide to evacuate passengers from a uncomfortable but safe environment, go get some help and while your at it, read the definitions of maturity and judgement and what being PIC means. You would have a hard time explaining to the FAA, the media(which seems to be a great source of accurate info according to you), or to a judge at your incompetence trial, why this was the better route than keeping people safely aboard. I was in the lineup, stuck for more than six hours after landing. Our choices were, as I saw them:
1. keep our cool, keep our passengers safe, lobby for a gate or someway to deplane safely. Keep customers informed that we were doing everything, short of evac, to get them off.
2. get irrational, threaten to do something stupid, do something stupid, regret it later when someone is was injured.
We chose the former.

We were fortunate in that we had a light load. Our lavs remained serviceable right up until we deplaned (they were full though) and we had made arrangements to have them serviced if needed. We had water, soda and juices, and beer:beer: , and of course blue chips and biscotti. Our APU was on the entire time and the cabin remained comfortable, and more importantly, safe.

No one, particularly those of us that were out there will defend what happened. But to anyone who would have blown a slide, you really need to stop and consider the ramifications of your actions before you fire off an ill conceived decision like that. This was not a V1 cut that needed instant action. Dealing with bad press because of management decisions is one thing. Trying to defend a stupid decision that results in injuries, made in haste because you're pissed off at a situation is much more difficult. We all know the statistics of passenger injury during evacs. Injuries would have happened. I could go on and on, but there are those who "get it" and those who never will. Your passenger SAFETY comes first, comfort second. You are the PIC of that aircraft, not the planet, and you have to do what is best for your passengers, even when they want to act like children and evac a safe airplane.

To anyone who brings up the lame "you lack a union so you were afraid for your job" argument my response is this: IT NEVER ENTERED MY MIND.

My company has a HUGE, well deserved black eye and is taking the criticism straight on, not deflecting it to other entities. I have not and will not respond to the criticism being heaped on JB. We deserve it. My rant is directed at the monday morning quarterbacks who were not there, attacking the professionals who were there. If you are "afraid" to jump to work on us because "we lack the balls to make the tough decisions" fine. Have fun walking to work, because I can't think of a single airline off the top of my head that hasn't had an accident, incident, "hostage event", cargo fire, etc. Hopefully your airline goes everywhere you need to go, because the rest of us in the industry are incompetent, according to your high school mentality definition of judgement.

right from the horses's mouth!

Hey guys/gals....havent we beat this up enough?

More arm chair quaterbacking or heroic slide deployments with finger up in the air gestures now only serves push your agenda and vent personal frustrations, and doesnt really contribute any good to anyone on here.

Isnt 8 pages of the same BS enough?

that, or he didn't get hired at jb and is seeking revenge.

I can't stop laughing at this. In fact there have been a couple in this thread that have said something to this affect. Right now BBB is not only worrying about those JetBlue failures commanding the hostage flights the other day, but also how he is going to spend the quarter million he'll make this year working 13 days a month. Then when his worrying is over, he'll think about the stock plan, the cheap health benefits, the 401K, the A plan, the B Plan, the 380, the 55 other jets on firm order, the staggering profits of a 100 year old company, etc, etc.

Hopefully, after his anxiety and thoughts of self-pity subside, he won't be forced to drink his life away because he is so miffed that he is not flying at JetBlue. Big Beer Belly, I am sorry that you didn't make it at JetBlue......please remember, your life is worth something, you are worth something........don't cry over spilled milk. It will turn out ok.

Just in on the local news in New York it was reported that there was cannibalizm at the the 8th hour of being "frozen" to the ground. Apparently, a man was found in the Lav. eating the remains of another human with those "Blue" chips that they serve. He was quoted as saying..." I just want a corn beef sandwhich...why cant I get a corn beef sandwhich".

Word spread quickly amongst the passengers who quickly became outraged because he had "hoarded" all the blue chips. He was subsequently subdued and eat'en....more news to follow.

Latest resources

Back