• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass Airlines Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
compass called me yesterday asking if i could take a oct 8th class as opposed to the 26th. Anyone know if i have to leave pdt while doing the home study at compass? (i think she said the 8th but that is a monday and most classes have been on fridays)

Exceptions can always be made.

any you guys know if you have the ability to drop trips? I would like to fly as much as possible on my side job. Thanks

any you guys know if you have the ability to drop trips? I would like to fly as much as possible on my side job. Thanks

I would hesitate to do much of that. Any "flying for compensation" flying goes towards your 121 limit, and if you timed out due to another job, I'm guessing they'd get really, really cranky.

Nu

talked to the chief pilot already as long as it doesn't disrupt my duty, rest, or the regs. All i have to do is report it.

talked to the chief pilot already as long as it doesn't disrupt my duty, rest, or the regs. All i have to do is report it.

Heyas,

You can do whatever you want, but if Compass has an 85 hour average, there's not much flying you're going to be doing on the side before you run into some kind of limit.

It's not usually the 100hr/mo limit, but the 30/7 limit that will bite you. If you're flying a trip that's worth, say, 26 hours, and they want to extend or junior man you to fly a round trip somewhere (a VERY common
occurrence), and you can't accept the assignment because you're "timed out" because of another job, you are going to be doing a carpet dance at the very least.

Now if you're just CFI'ing or towing gliders out at the gliderport where you're only logging 1-2 hours a month during a 4 day strech of time off, then it probably won't be any big deal. But if you're going to me "flying as much as possible", then IMHO, you're going to be in for a rude surprise. They're NOT going let you drop trips because of other employment.

Nu

Last edited:
im talking about 5-10 hours max a month. Typed in a jet i could pick up some very nice day trips.

im talking about 5-10 hours max a month. Typed in a jet i could pick up some very nice day trips.

I don't doubt it. But like I said, it's not the amount of time, but where it falls. Most people bump into 30/7 problems at least a couple of times per year, and that's with the flying already on their line, nothing extra.

If the nice day trips add 5 hours to a block of time in the wrong spot, you will time out.

Also, every operator I've ever flown at reserves the "right of your exclusive service". Meaning that while your line may only be showing a trip worth 24-26 hours, they could reschedule you for more, or infact, call you on a day off. Or if your trip gets a lot of block time due to delays or weather and you get rescheduled ("legal to start, legal to finish" no longer applies), you could wind up timing out.

Plus, what happens if you get delayed at "your other job"? Call in sick? What happens if you have an "incident" while doing it?

All I am saying is that if you have to refuse a trip because of time you logged at another job, they're going to be pretty torqued. If you're on probation when it happens, it'd be pretty ugly.

From the sound it, it seems like Compass is only a place for you to mark the days, and if it goes away, no big loss. If that's the case, then no problem.

Nu

what is the upgrade time projected to be. i was looking for a quick left job since my last pic was in a 1900. i have an interview. don't want to bother if it more than 6 months.

Latest resources

Back