Compass agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

When Comair, ASA, Pinnacle and who ever decide that they are going to put ALL of their seats up for grabs for flow downs, no questions asked, then they get a seat at the table.

Until then, they have no where near the stake invested that the CPZ guys have.

To get the great reward, you need to man up at the poker table. If not, then STFU, and put in an app like everyone else.

Nu

Well said. Of course, I tried to say something similar on the regional board last night and more or less had my ass handed to me by the problem children. If playing nice doesn't work, then I'm pretty much at the point of being willing to "ask once then take by force if necessary" when it comes to recapturing outsourced flying.

The problem is not about having the fortitude to fight to recapture scope. The problem is that our leadership has no interest in fighting this fight.

Last edited:
Compass Pilots do not want DOH only a staple. Even if DOH happened it wsould still be essentially a staple. Most crewmembers were hired after NWA and DAL stopped hiring. We were all aware of how the flow through works and what we want is fair representation. We are part of an MEC that is supposed to look out for OUR best intrests. We pay Dues to the DALPA MEC. All of the other regionals do not. This is the crux what is wrong and needs to be addressed. I guess I will have to run for the DTW LEC rep and see how that shakes out. If I cannot vote or even run then it is proof of an illeagal setup and the choice become to add us to the seniority list or spin us off. Obviously most of us would rather not be spun off. If we spun off then the NWA concession that created Compass becomes permanent and management wins again. Bottom Line Staple Compass and the MEC is fullfilling it obligation to do what is best for its members.

Heyas,

Mesaba and Pinnacle had their chance in '02. Their membership allowed the 5 or 6 squeaky wheels to torpedo the whole thing.

They were -><- close to the golden ring. But NWA wasn't going to sign off on a deal like this for free. Was there a price to be paid? You bet...and about %80 of it was going to be paid by the mainline NWA guys.

The XJ and 9E guys were going to have to pony up the %20 balance at the table, but had the most upside potential. But the lifers wouldn't budge with the attitude "why should we pay ANYTHING...we don't want to flow". They were trying to press a bad hand, with the junior pilot's chips.

Guess what, now their junior Airlink (now DCI) guys are paying the price in so many ways, it's hard to count. Not only is there no flow, but the job security and whipsaw prevention that came with an all inclusive deal is gone, and all you hear about in the regional section is guys b!tching about who is stealing who's flying.

It would have been a great deal for all involved, but as is typical, you get a few individuals that tanked the whole deal because, gosh, they MIGHT have to temporarily give up something for the greater good.

So I don't want to hear it. You guys had your chance, and your leadership blew it. So when the NWA guys were forced in BQ to put something together, we made sure we had our end all setup that couldn't be sunk by a few guys who didn't want to play ball.

The NWA guys paid (that's right, with OUR concessions) to structure CPZ the way they did for a reason. IF a deal happens, and that's IF, you can bet we get paid back first. And if we decide that means bringing on the CPZ guys first, well, then, tough turkey.

Nu

You speeketh the truth brother.

One of the fly's in the ointment is the other wholly owned DCI's saying "me too". I heard this argument at a LEC meeting the other day - lots of discussion over experience, and that CPZ is not unique and should not have special status in consideration of any eventual integration. Very well - we all know there are very qualified pilots at the other DCI's, and there will be an uproar from the other ALPA reprsented DCI's, especially in light of the FFD initiative in ALPA right now.

One thing lost in this arguement, regardless of experience, who's been around longer, etc, is that the creation of CPZ was bought and paid for by the NWA pilots as furlough protection during the BK bargaining.

That in itself, regardless of any other piont makes them uniquie - a carrier formed from it's inception to be a safe haven in the event of mainline furloughs. As NU said, until they pony up an unrestricted biateral flow, AND pass a NWA (DAL) interview like the CPZ pilots did, it's off the table.

This effort is not to exclude anyone. The question will have to be dealt with eventually. Even considering the CPZ question is killing a heard of sacred cows, and CPZ is relatively low hanging fruit.

Mention and of the other DCI'sd in the equation at this point, and it will be DOA.

See that is our (DALPA's) goal. They want to have bilateral flows with five DCI carriers. The alpa carriers. They think they can get this.
Well, if they do this then what. We flow there, they flow here. The MEC per my understanding will see no need to bring that flying back. In essence the DAL pilots will own all of those seats either way. It just make a bigger push to outsource more flying to DCI which will be the B scale of DAL airlines.
In a perfect world we would need all airplanes over 69 seats to be on the mainline side of the list. If not, we will have just screwed ourselves with scope again.

Blah blah blah.......I'm looking at the reduction numbers and I'm not buying what they are selling. As far as using 9-11 as a comparison many are saying this recent turn down is worse than 9-11.

Now you are comparing the whole country's downturn to 9-11. That's not what they or I said. What they gave was the 9-11 effect on Delta. Also, what Delta reduction numbers are you talking about? I not saying that numbers can't be manipulated or I am taking it to the bank but they put up the performance and reduction numbers on the screen when they were speaking. This was a response to our condition and possibilities of furloughs. Nothing more. It wasn't a balance sheet report. Things are not the same at all airlines right now. Some other small lcc's with furloughed pilots might not be in the same position.

See that is our (DALPA's) goal. They want to have bilateral flows with five DCI carriers. The alpa carriers. They think they can get this.
Well, if they do this then what. We flow there, they flow here. The MEC per my understanding will see no need to bring that flying back.

Bi -lateral flows with the other DCI's - good.

Bi-lateral flows as an excuse not to pursue bringing the flying back, or worse yet allow further outsourcing - unacceptable.

Last edited:
Exactly. If that is the ave that the union takes, it needs to be done very carefully, as it could lead to further scope erosion.

All this Compass stuff going on, i assume it would be a straight staple. I am a Delta North guy, and there is NO F**king way a compass pilot will be senior to any Delta (N or S) pilot.
No kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back