• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, Delta pilots don't hire. Delta does. We at Delta support the fact that management can be choosy with respect to who gets hired and who doesn't. One merely has to look at the last round of hiring to find the desirable/skilled pilots and the airlines from which they came, and one could also look at the airlines whose pilot ranks didn't fare so well in the skilled/desirable criteria.

Ok, so devil's advocate here. If you wish to be "choosy" shouldn't you shut down the non-interview based flow at Mesaba then?

Ok, so devil's advocate here. If you wish to be "choosy" shouldn't you shut down the non-interview based flow at Mesaba then?

It's not up to me. It's up to Delta. I think that they have done a great job given our last round of hiring, both in the people that they did hire, and as importantly the people they did NOT.

Funny how all the people who claim not to have interest in Delta spend so much time talking about us.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

ACL, any word from the PTC show last night?

And the reason family matters some is because DAL and NWA intentionally ignore them when it comes to offering interviews in the first place.

As for time within the family, I'd say the VAST majority of -900 Captains at XJ have 10+ years.

DAL does not ignore it's "family" members. A huge portion of the 700 pilots hired in this last round were from DCI carriers.

You're in a different culture now.

As far as time in the family.... well when you get up well past 10 years, you know where I'm going with the likely quality of the applicant. :)

Some good stuff at the meeting. Most was just the same ole same ole.

Looks like there might be a contradiction on the MD-90's. Route says they are growth where flt ops says they are replacements.
I believe the route guys since they drive the company.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I see bigger issues here with the DALPA. I think the first priority is to recall all the NWA furloughs. We still have three great NWA furloughs that were suppose to be recalled last spring and then in the fall of 08. My understanding of the situation is that nobody is giving them any answers to when they will join DA.

There will probably never be a staple. 70%+ of the pilots over here want you to interview.
That is why a bi-lateral flow is the best that you can hope for under the current thinking.

That's the same reason it wouldn't have happened back in 2000....even if there had been a pre-nup....

DAL does not ignore it's "family" members. A huge portion of the 700 pilots hired in this last round were from DCI carriers.

As far as time in the family.... well when you get up well past 10 years, you know where I'm going with the likely quality of the applicant. :)

Ok, maybe DAL stopped doing that. But during the last hiring binge, NWA didn't even interview any XJ pilots. A few came back who had previously been hired but never trained.

Think what you want, but you really have no clue about the time and qualification of many of us. There are hundreds of highly qualified pilots with clean records who never got a chance. More than a few had interviews scheduled in the weeks following 9/11, but obviously never got to show up. A lot of good people stuck around, and lots left for CO, WN, Am West, NetJets, etc.

Your assertion about 10+yrs = losers is just not correct.

Yep, no luck involved at all, they just hire the best, even after the government hiring decree.

Ok, maybe DAL stopped doing that. But during the last hiring binge, NWA didn't even interview any XJ pilots. A few came back who had previously been hired but never trained.

Think what you want, but you really have no clue about the time and qualification of many of us. There are hundreds of highly qualified pilots with clean records who never got a chance. More than a few had interviews scheduled in the weeks following 9/11, but obviously never got to show up. A lot of good people stuck around, and lots left for CO, WN, Am West, NetJets, etc.

Your assertion about 10+yrs = losers is just not correct.

Thats because XJ has a flow through program. If we hired guys ouside the flow then you'd have guys leapfrogging ohers who were at the top of XJ wanting to flow.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I see bigger issues here with the DALPA. I think the first priority is to recall all the NWA furloughs. We still have three great NWA furloughs that were suppose to be recalled last spring and then in the fall of 08. My understanding of the situation is that nobody is giving them any answers to when they will join DA.
Good question. How long have they been bypassing? More importantly how long CAN they bypass?

I'm surrounded on the new seniority list by guys who figured their NWA job was not worth returning to. Guess they might like to come back now that they can take my job (or their job back).

Not complaining, just wonder about my station in life when my job is (literally speaking) below people who did not even want the gig, or had something better to do.

Sounds like another displacement bid is in the works to staff the MD88/90. How about we just recall guys into the 88? Of course they probably are holding out to cherry pick ER and 330 spots (that's what I'd do, don't blame them, just saying)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back