• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compare your pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all of the info. guys. hopefully this will give me, and others, a better look at how pay works, and what one may can expect for specific airlines. There is obviously a lot more that goes into it than just guarantee multiplied by hourly rate; which is all airlinepilotcentral.com gives.

A few questions for you all.

One of you said you made $28K as a first year FO at ExpressJet. Another mentioned making $53K as a second year FO at SkyWest. This seem high compared to what most say about regional pay; not that $28K is good, but far better than $19K, which is reported as typical first year pay.

Are the above normal as far as expected first year vs second year pay, etc?

Also, I've asked this before in another thread, but to verify. For those of you who say you are a 4th year CA, or 6th year CA, etc., does this mean you have been a captain for 4 years, or 6 years, or that you just make 4th year CA pay, or 6th year CA pay, and have only been a captain for a few years or so. In others words -- time in seat, or time with company?

They always throw out those numbers of 15K or 19K. I think most are better then this. I think people get those by considering being on reserve the whole 1st year, and getting zero per diem. At colgan some guys are upgrading before the 1st year is even up. No 2 people seem to ever make the same thing after the year up though. No 2 people really ever get the exact same thing. Everyone makes there situation work for them.

Payrates are based on time with company. So we're all talking about our years with with the comany as opposed to time in seat.

BRA said:
They always throw out those numbers of 15K or 19K. I think most are better then this. I think people get those by considering being on reserve the whole 1st year, and getting zero per diem. At colgan some guys are upgrading before the 1st year is even up. No 2 people seem to ever make the same thing after the year up though. No 2 people really ever get the exact same thing. Everyone makes there situation work for them.

Most first year FOs I've talked to seem to make more than 19K, most more like 25K, not that 25K is a good salary, but better than 19K, as I said. Seems most 2nd year FOs make closer to 40K, with a couple I've seen say they make 50K or close to it.

Just curious because so many throw out the 19K salaries for first year, etc.

ClearRight said:
Payrates are based on time with company. So we're all talking about our years with with the comany as opposed to time in seat.
Stupid question alert:

I've been a ramper at SKYW since Feb 2004. I've been told that if/when I am hired on flying, that I will keep my date of hire. I know my travel benefits will keep this date, but will my original date be used for my pay or will my new (pilot) seniority date be used?

Last edited:
ClearRight said:
ah- I'll revise my answer to say time as pilot with a company.

...so your newhire pilot date will dictate your pay.
What I figured. Woulda been schweet though!!!

Great Lakes

1st year FO pay 15.33/hr
after one year 12,500 plus about 1500 in perdiem
TOTAL=14000

Toward the end of the year I was getting better schedules and bringing home 1,300 per month.

2nd year capt 27/hr

Livin the dream

eight8kcabpilot said:
Great Lakes

1st year FO pay 15.33/hr
after one year 12,500 plus about 1500 in perdiem
TOTAL=14000

Toward the end of the year I was getting better schedules and bringing home 1,300 per month.

2nd year capt 27/hr

Livin the dream

Why do you do that to your self? What do you think is going to be bigger and better in the long run?

OCP said:
Why do you do that to your self? What do you think is going to be bigger and better in the long run?

Anything would be wouldn't it? Any RJ regioanl would. When I sat left seat at colgan I don't believe I ever flew with an FO that wasn't better off financially then me. I may have been making more per hour at colgan, but they all had one or more of the following: no college loans, working wife with a good job, well off parents, 2nd business, money in the bank from their previous career. I was never in a position where I felt bad and needed to offer to pay for lunch or coffee or anything like that. I never heard any stories about how they didn't know how they would make their rent or car payment either. In fact i believe more then a handful didn't even need there check twice a month either, really.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back