• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting under attack because of crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I spent yrs commuting cross country. Red-eyes to work.

Best one was commuting (jumpseating) in on the red-eye (LAX-IAD), on an American Airlines DC10. After we get to IAD at 5am, I have to fly the 630am flight to JFK.....Guess who is on my flight...??..The AA DC10 crew. They had a scheduled deadhead on UEX.

It was a little awkward at the time.

(and this new format sucks !!!!! )

Lol!!!!!

i think the answer, and i won't be holding my breath on this one, is to use the netjets model: Crewmember lives where he wants to and the company deadheads him to the point that his trip starts. The benefit to the company is that they can start trips wherever they want to, not just in a hub.

Make all carriers comply so that no carrier has a cost advantage over another. Commute time would be part of duty time. A side benefit would be that the company wouldn't want to pay for many commutes, so they would start building efficient trips. Instead of 4 commutes a month we would likely see 2. There would probably be a 7 on, 7 off type program. People that reside in domicile could make themselves available for extra flying.

For a carrier such as crumbair, trips wouldn't necessarily start in cvg or jfnk. Trips could start in bos or pvd or bna or lga or any where the company desires.

The airlines will moan and groan that this costs too much, but crews are already flying around the country quite a bit on other company's airplane to get to work. They could work out a cooperative mechanism where they would trade seats (positive space) on each other's aircraft. It needn't cost the airlines anything.

The problem that i can foresee is that given a choice of living in williston, nd or orlando, most pilots would choose the warm place. There could be some bottlenecks.

So there's your solution. We can always dream...

It is not the companies responsibility to ensure you are rested when you come off days off. The FAA should increase rest during a trip and between trips.

A business has the right to be profitable. When you interview for a job knowing you will be paid x and you know you will be based in x, you have a personal responsibility to the company, passengers, and profession to be ready to do the job you asked for.

The company has a responsibility to train the pilots to safe standards and that should be beyond the required FAA standards, but as always it comes down to money.

The Captain supposedly lied about his exam history, and also logged onto the company computer at 3am in the crew room.

I think we should all take heed to the fact that regardless of pay, we all have a responsibility to factor in the impact we my have on countless families and the profession if we fail to get proper rest prior to starting a trip. During a trip I will now not hesitate to call in fatigued.

There is a whole slew of factors related to why this accident happened, but pilots need to step up and look in the mirror with regard to controllable rest.

Medeco
I have been displaced to three different bases, in 5 years. Also since the new design of this board is crap, I put the first part of your tale in bold

I think you will see carriers intentionally build trips that are not commutable to force pilots to get a hotel room the night before.

I think you will see carriers intentionally build trips that are not commutable to force pilots to get a hotel room the night before.

I disagree, unless the FAA somehow mandates it. Most airlines simply could not function without commuters. There are not enough pilots that want to or can afford to live in base. Like it or not, the airlines need commuters.

I anticipate there will be an NPRM regarding commuting. Tonight, I'm in a hotel room at my own cost due to an early departure. Sure, I could have gotten up at 3 am, commuted and then flown a transcon.

But, its neither smart or safe.

If you CHOOSE to commute, you have to sometimes suck up a hotel room OR get a crash pad. But, its your CHOICE. You still have the responsibility to show up rested and ready to work.

When you interview for a job knowing you will be paid x and you know you will be based in x,

I agree that you know that you will be paid x, however you may wish to based in x, but you could get y or z or a,b or c depending on how many bases there are. When I was at the regional I was based in 6 different crew bases over 5+ years. I'm sure the wife and kids would have enjoyed moving that often.

Latest resources

Back