• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting under attack because of crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whether you drive a car, ride a motorcycle, walk or fly, commuting to work will just be considered part of the duty day and airlines will just have to give pilots positive space and pay us for it.

HAHAHAHHAHHAA ROTFLMFAO. Sorry that is not going to happen. Keep thinking positive though.

HAHAHAHHAHHAA ROTFLMFAO. Sorry that is not going to happen. Keep thinking positive though.

In the long run, I can see the positive spaced tickets. The company can use this against the pilots if they'd like.
Let's say you have a 9am departure tomorrow. They book you for the noon flight today....but there is a 3pm and a 5pm as well.
Well, they can book you for the noon flight, saying you're getting more than adequate rest and the 2 later flights aren't acceptable. If you chose to change flights, then you might be in the CPs office.

But they will never pay you for it. They will say the positive spaced ticket is compensation in itself.

NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE. The dollar runs the show in this business and just as everything else in our industry this will be forgotten and pushed to the wayside. I hope to be wrong. I'm a 4 hr commuter. I would love to eat my words.

That was most likely a lack of experience. She simply had not been scared out of her pants previously by similar circumstances. Great First Officers are quite often formed by some idiot in the left seat trying to kill them. It's a shame some folks find themselves flying as Captain in the right seat, without the pay, but that is the world we live in.

Man how true, I've seen it from both seats myself.

NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE. The dollar runs the show in this business and just as everything else in our industry this will be forgotten and pushed to the wayside. I hope to be wrong. I'm a 4 hr commuter. I would love to eat my words.
I think the same way.
But the way the government loves to take over these days, I wouldn't be suprised.

Commuting pilots who fly for commuter airlines cannot afford the luxury of jumpseating to work. Put safety first, ahead of the ideology that flying to work is a luxury. It is neither glamorous nor safe for a young pilot flying 6-8 legs over a 14-16 hour duty day to be jeapordizing public safety.
Tough decisions have to be made...make them for yourself or they'll have to be made for you.

Commuting pilots who fly for commuter airlines cannot afford the luxury of jumpseating to work. Put safety first, ahead of the ideology that flying to work is a luxury. It is neither glamorous nor safe for a young pilot flying 6-8 legs over a 14-16 hour duty day to be jeapordizing public safety.
Tough decisions have to be made...make them for yourself or they'll have to be made for you.
Yeah, because only mainline pilots are man enough to commute.
Boy, I can't wait until I get hired at a major. I've always waited for my nuts to drop!

You are so wrong. They can easily draft a regulation requiring, say, 8 hours of "continuous rest" in the preceding 10 - 12 hours prior to the beginning of a "cycle of flights."

With those two terms defined, BOOM! That would limit commuting. It would be easy to do.

Don't they have to redefine rest? Rest is simply free from obligation to the company, isn't it? You can do what you want with your rest.

They cant tell you what to do on your off time..Do pilots with young kids get a nice quiet night of sleep. With a new born you might get maybe 5 or 6 hours of sleep, alot less than some long commuter flights. I guess the FAA will require pilots to stop having kids, so they can get sleep..they only way to get better rested pilots is to have shorter duty days//

Just worth reading twice!

We need to take personal responsibility. It's time we owned it!

We blame management, FAA, unions, Majors, regionals, LCCs, CAs, FOs, FAs, pax wanting to save money, PFT, low TT, training, my CFI, your CFI, turboprop and jets.......

How about we, pilots, Americans, people, begin to accept responsibilty. Take control of what we can do and stop expecting others to do it for us.

The FAA can't regulate stupidity, nor can any SOP. You can't write in common sense, someone will always find a way to f' it up! So do what you can to improve your training, skill level, profession. Don't give the FAA another excuse to write one more regulation, Sh!t! there are already enough of them!

eP.
Again a ray of reality in a sea of blame

Latest resources

Back