Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coming up on 94 hours of Standby for the Month.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know what? Why Don't we make it mandatory to sit at the fbo after 10hrs of rest? If its so great to just stuff ur face, surf the net and watch tv, then on ur next 12 hour overnight ask them to bring u back out to the fbo early, so that you can cover the backup to the back up to the backup.
GO A TEAMERS!!! GO!!!

There was a point last month when we had 4 xls and 2 ultras crew sitting in TUS? (another 3 were sitting in SDL and PHX)FOR WHAT? WTF! Guess we had to cover everything west of the Mississippi from TUS.

Yes the have tv, snacks, and internet. But I rather be in shorts and a tshirt, have my own choice of programming to watch, a semi real gym, a shower, privacy, go for a run, go for a swim, order and eat a real meal that doesn't have a plastic see through top on it, and the ability to take a nap in a real bed.

My Point is, yes we need some crews to standby, but there has to be a limit and some kind of accountability if the company is abusing crews with crew rot.

Nice spin, KMAN! I never said I wanted to spend my rest time at the FBO. What I said, and you seem to have a hard time comprehending through that bitter I-hate-life attitude, is that if they send me to the FBO WHEN I'M ON DUTY, most of the FBO's in this country are a fairly nice place to hang around.

Sounds like you were really hoping this job at NJA would turn out to be one big long paid vacation, right? Now you're angry when it turns out that it's not. Wahhh!! They won't let me do what I want when I'm on duty! Wahhh!!! Heck, in your list of stuff you'd like to do during your hotel duty you forgot to mention windsurfing and barhopping.

So according to you, if I do what I'm told to because I'm being paid a nice salary to do it, that makes me an A-teamer? Anybody that isn't totally unhappy with the job is an A-teamer? Puh-lease!

Look, this job isn't for everyone. It sure doesn't seem to be for you. So what are you still doing here?

Really, we have tools to deal with excessive sitting around. I agree totally that long boring waits in FBO's is tiring. So big deal. Call fatigued when you're too tired to fly. There's no penalty for it. It isn't your job to worry how it will affect operations. It's only your job to knwo your own limits. I expect that if enough people call fatigued while sitting at FBO's, then maybe we'll see more hotel shows.

I was scheduled to sit standby at 0500 this morning. Called and got a few more hours at the hotel with a hotel show. They aren't totally unreasonable.

And I really wonder how it is you knowabout all the planes and crews sitting standby at the airports near you. Are you really such a busybody that you have to inquire into everyone's business? Are you one of those guys who's always in the phone buggin the FM's about what's going on today, tomorrow, what other planes are nearby, who you're backing up, and so on?

Most FBO standby isn't so bad. Boring, yes. But it's not a vacation. It's work.

Just had a guy fatigue that was given 16 hours of rest...2 hours at the hotel on duty...show at the fbo 1 hour prior to flight...did a .9 rev leg...then fatigued.

:crying:

And its that tone right there is what gives the people upstairs a bad name. You didn't give us his preceding days duty just made a blanket comment hoping to get a rise and say look at these whiney bitchy pilots.

Lets take what I've been doing for the last couple of days. Sure its been stby but our on times have been setting us up for night flights. Then this morning its a 9am show, but for the last 5 days I've been shut off at midnight so now I have to reprogram my body and say you're not sleeping in now you're getting up.

I toss, I turn I look at the clock and say to myself if I go to bed right now I can still pull off 5hrs of sleep. Toss turn, adjust the thermostat, 4 hrs I can get 4 hrs if I go to bed right now. Oh please let me go to sleep.

So yeah our sleep gets messed up and this is a domestic trip. But I wouldn't condemn the crew until you've walked a mile in their shoes, stayed at the hotel and specifically talked to them.

We're type A personalities. We want to get the job done. Unfortunately my body sometimes isn't in sync with my mind.

You know what? Why Don't we make it mandatory to sit at the fbo after 10hrs of rest? If its so great to just stuff ur face, surf the net and watch tv, then on ur next 12 hour overnight ask them to bring u back out to the fbo early, so that you can cover the backup to the back up to the backup.
GO A TEAMERS!!! GO!!!

There was a point last month when we had 4 xls and 2 ultras crew sitting in TUS? (another 3 were sitting in SDL and PHX)FOR WHAT? WTF! Guess we had to cover everything west of the Mississippi from TUS.

Yes the have tv, snacks, and internet. But I rather be in shorts and a tshirt, have my own choice of programming to watch, a semi real gym, a shower, privacy, go for a run, go for a swim, order and eat a real meal that doesn't have a plastic see through top on it, and the ability to take a nap in a real bed.

My Point is, yes we need some crews to standby, but there has to be a limit and some kind of accountability if the company is abusing crews with crew rot.

You truly are an idiot... you obviously do not understand the nature of the job... my recomendation to you is to quit NetJets and go work for a 121 carrier.. I heard MESA was hiring..you would fit in great over there

Same old stuff, If you don't like it leave? Why not try to make things better?

Of course it could be worse, we could all be flipping burgers or worse flying for mesa.

Name calling, Wow that just shows what a true professional you are. I really hit that nerve with you guys when I speak the truth.

NJA is a great place to be, I just think there still is room for improvement.

What is the use of having so many crews on standby?

Alloy ample coverage for the trips that we get and any pop ups that happen.

What don't I understand? Hey if Im actually being used for a reason, I totally understand, but when we are the 5th crew on standby and have a trip early in the am, why keep us on? I can't count the number on times they could have gave us a standby all the way up to a 10hr turn.

And I don't bother the pm s, I just call a buddy of mine in cmh, when scheduling gets plain stupid.

Its just funny how if anybody complains about anything related to NJA, they get pounced on. Guess I don't have the right to state my opinion? Can any of you guys dispute that we don't get scheduled to standby just for our numbers to look good?

Last edited:
kman;1661179 What is the use of having so many crews on standby? [COLOR=Blue said:
Because the contract says they can.[/COLOR]

Alloy ample coverage for the trips that we get and any pop ups that happen.

What don't I understand? Hey if Im actually being used for a reason, I totally understand, but when we are the 5th crew on standby and have a trip early in the am, why keep us on? I can't count the number on times they could have gave us a standby all the way up to a 10hr turn. Again this is because the contract says they can.

As Olsen said so many times during IBB, "It is what it is." Maybe things will change in the future, but for now you are just spinning you wheels for nothing more than spinning your wheels.

Face it, they own us until day seven at midnight, or whenever your schedule ends. Do I dislike how they schedule me sometimes, you bet. But bottom line is until midnight on day seven they own me. If I am tired I fatigue. If I am hungry I get crew food. After I have eaten and slept I am back at it again until midnight on day seven. It is what it is.

KMAN,

I also never said scheduling doesn't do stupid things. And that some things seem wasteful. Maybe I'm just tired of trying to fix the stupid.

So, I go sit at the FBO when they want me to. If I get too tired to fly, I fatigue. If that causes difficulties for them, not my problem. Like I said, if enough folks call fatigued, maybe useless standby will stop.

Meanwhile though, how does whining about it help? If you have a real problem with it, why not take it to our union? What's the point of bugging anyone in CMH to find out who else is sitting standby in your vicinity? Did it change anything for you, except for obviously pissing you off more?

Some FBO's out there have few or no amenities and are very uncomfortable to hang around. So what happens? I fatigue sooner. Maybe I'm just not seeing the problem you are. I too would rather be doing other things than sitting at FBO's. But I recognize the fact that I'm at work, not vacation.

It's not that you or anyone else aren't allowed say anything negative about Netjets. It just seems like that's all we ever hear from you on these message boards. And that leads at least me to believe you're unhappy here. Which leads to the obvious question, why not leave?

They own us for 7 days is total BULLSH!T. Doesn't anybody else see a problem with that kind of attitude?

I have already talked to several union members and sent in several waster reports.

How am I just spinning my wheels. I would like to see the bigger picture before I make a call or send in a report.

Again. how am I bothering a buddy of mine by getting factual information?

Why don't I leave? Cause i am not stupid, I wouldn't leave unless I found a better job

Just curious, what is Netjets policy regarding drinking on the road (out of uniform at the hotel or local bar off duty)? Someone told me it is very discouraged, is that true?

Next time one you frax guys starts lecturing us airline guys about how much better frax flying is I'm going to refer you back to this thread. What happened to all the big tips, exotic locations, awesome crew meals and 5 star resorts? Relax. I'm just busting yer chops a little bit. I'm not being serious.

172driver: Hey D! How are ya?

Why do some of you guys get your panties in a bunch when someone says something negative about NJ?? It's not the almighty, perfect company, contrary to popular belief. Granted things are much, much better than in the past, but some things still have to be improved upon (This is from talking with many NJ guys). If you're happy there then good for you, not everybody is. Leaving a company with nothing in job pot is easier said then done, and quite stupid.

Latest resources

Back