Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coming up on 94 hours of Standby for the Month.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Someone told me it is very discouraged, is that true?

No, not at all!

We have a 12-hour rule, so on short overnights, there's no opportunity. But on anything longer than 12, sure, have at it. I'd say the majority of the guys I fly with are up for a couple drinks after work.

They own us for 7 days is total BULLSH!T. Doesn't anybody else see a problem with that kind of attitude?

This is the on-demand world, sis. We're getting paid to be available. If you're hungry, get food. If you're too tired to fly, fatigue. Beyond that, this is what we signed up for.

Why don't I leave? Cause i am not stupid, I wouldn't leave unless I found a better job
You've been bitching about NJA since you got here. Why don't you do us a favor and STFU until you move on to your dream job at JetBlue? :rolleyes:

You've been bitching about NJA since you got here. Why don't you do us a favor and STFU until you move on to your dream job at JetBlue? :rolleyes:

Grump please remove that stick from ur arse, and MAKE ME STFU! Jetblue? What the he!! are you talking about? (Also I let another 2 guys use my account, so they don't have to pay the 10 bucks)

I know this is FI.com, but namecalling and telling me the STFU is so childish and does nothing but show me what true proffesionals you guys truly are. I bet ur a true pleasure to fly with.

When the NJ MAFIA puts a hit out on me, for speaking the truth. Remember me guys, remember me.

And its that tone right there is what gives the people upstairs a bad name. You didn't give us his preceding days duty just made a blanket comment hoping to get a rise and say look at these whiney bitchy pilots.

Lets take what I've been doing for the last couple of days. Sure its been stby but our on times have been setting us up for night flights. Then this morning its a 9am show, but for the last 5 days I've been shut off at midnight so now I have to reprogram my body and say you're not sleeping in now you're getting up.

I toss, I turn I look at the clock and say to myself if I go to bed right now I can still pull off 5hrs of sleep. Toss turn, adjust the thermostat, 4 hrs I can get 4 hrs if I go to bed right now. Oh please let me go to sleep.

So yeah our sleep gets messed up and this is a domestic trip. But I wouldn't condemn the crew until you've walked a mile in their shoes, stayed at the hotel and specifically talked to them.

We're type A personalities. We want to get the job done. Unfortunately my body sometimes isn't in sync with my mind.

The crewmembers stereotype 'management' and 'scheduling' as much as we stereotype crew members. It's a two-way street bro.

But I wouldn't condemn the crew until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Touche'

Exactly...and it's not just "back in the day". It still happens.

Also, you may see 3 or 4 hot spares in TEB. But, remember, we have different owners who require different aircraft. We are not un-neccesarily going to upgrade an Ultra owner to a Falcon because we didn't want more than 1 crew sitting on standby. The same goes for the Flacon owner who refuses to fly on an Ultra.

When you start seeing 3 or 4 XL's with nothing to do, than bring it to their attention.

So we bring it someone's attention and what happens.....nothing. Why because the "number" haven't been made for the day.

Or it is 1 am in the morning at KVNY and you ask them what you are backing up, and the response is some BS about a west coast depture. So you fire up the lap top and go to Flightaware and check the WEST COAST. Guess what nothing, shocking. You haven't put in you time yet, it is all about the numbers, not the people.

Just had a guy fatigue that was given 16 hours of rest...2 hours at the hotel on duty...show at the fbo 1 hour prior to flight...did a .9 rev leg...then fatigued.

:crying:

There are a 1000 things that could cause a crew member to do this.

Wedding or other function at the hotel?

Softball tournaments have been going on all over the country lately.

A couple on their honeymoon next door?

etc...

So we bring it someone's attention and what happens.....nothing. Why because the "number" haven't been made for the day.

Or it is 1 am in the morning at KVNY and you ask them what you are backing up, and the response is some BS about a west coast depture. So you fire up the lap top and go to Flightaware and check the WEST COAST. Guess what nothing, shocking. You haven't put in you time yet, it is all about the numbers, not the people.

I'll tell you like I told Diesel on page 3....

"Or, it could be that I'm just talking out of my a$$ because I don't work in that department. It's all speculation on my part. Who know's....maybe you're correct with the availability matrix that your claiming."

There are a 1000 things that could cause a crew member to do this.

Wedding or other function at the hotel?

Softball tournaments have been going on all over the country lately.

A couple on their honeymoon next door?

etc...

Don't take what I said out of context. I am in no way, shape or form questioning the validity of the fatigue call....the company and union have made great strides to retrain our thought process when it comes to questioning fatigue calls. My point to that was that even when we give hotel shows...people still fatigue. Wouldn't it make more sense FROM A COMPANY STAND POINT to give them a FBO show....when we don't know they are going to fatigue?

They own us for 7 days is total BULLSH!T. Doesn't anybody else see a problem with that kind of attitude?

You get paid a salary. If they say sit at the FBO you sit at the FBO. If they say fly TUS-VNY you fly TUS-VNY. Like somebody else said, this is an on-demand business. They are paying you to be ready to fly ASAP. They are buying your time so therefore they own your time. I choose to look at it this way because it keeps me from going crazy wondering what they will do to me next. All I know is when I leave the house every other Saturday I will be returned by midnight the following Friday or the company pays me 2 extended days. The time in between the company tells me where to be and when to be there. Again they own my time. As long as they play by the contract I am fine with that. I might not like it but there is nothing I can do.

A waste management report, tell me how the company is going to see it as a waste of their resources by having you sit reserve at a FBO on a flight asset duty assignment?

In the future when we negotiate a new contract and the Wilson Center calls to survey you, tell them what you are willing to give up to not sit at a FBO. If enough people see eye to eye with you and are willing to give away something to get that perk then we will stop sitting at FBOs. Until then schedueling will sit us.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back