Come to recurrent armed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Swing and a miss.

Not so much in Georgia. Google up on the Georgia 'Right to Kill' law.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/2397441.html

et al.

If you have a reasonable threat to your life or your property, you may use deadly force.

For the naysayers who whined loudly when this bill was passed...no noticeable increase in violence has been recorded.

Considering the differences between what I had to do to get a concealed carry permit in Georgia, and what my friends in Texas have to do, you could make a sound argument that Georgia is more pro gun than Texas.

Just sayin'.

As has no noticeable DECREASE in violence or crime been recorded.

Swing and a miss.

Not so much in Georgia. Google up on the Georgia 'Right to Kill' law.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/2397441.html

et al.

If you have a reasonable threat to your life or your property, you may use deadly force.

For the naysayers who whined loudly when this bill was passed...no noticeable increase in violence has been recorded.

Considering the differences between what I had to do to get a concealed carry permit in Georgia, and what my friends in Texas have to do, you could make a sound argument that Georgia is more pro gun than Texas.

Just sayin'.

Might want to read that bill a little closer before you go "poppin a cap" when somebody is trying to steal your stereo.
Seeking Out Danger

Under the "Shoot First" law, as long as the shooter "is not engaged in unlawful activity" and is "attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be" the shooter has the right to use deadly force. Therefore, if a fistfight escalates to lethal violence, the shooter could receive immunity under the law even if he initiated the confrontation, as long as he "reasonably believed" that firing the gun was necessary to prevent a "forcible felony" or "great bodily harm" to himself.

Sounds like you live in Texas where gun laws are rather lax, however most states require that your life be in danger prior to using deadly force. Going after a car thief with a firearm is just stupid.

There's a fine line between "going after a car thief with a firearm" and attempting to stop someone from stealing your stuff.

It's perfectly legal to stop someone from stealing your belongings. If that thief escalates it to a point you feel your life in in danger, the firearm comes out for defense.

2 separate scenarios, but they are closely tied. Without a firearm for defense, I would be less likely to confront a thief.

So what? Allowing citizens their right to bear arms should not be predicated on a decrease in violence.

Ok, for the record...I own three guns. But I have NEVER felt the need to "carry" to somehow protect myself from some ambiguous threat.

The aluminum foil that lines all my hats takes care of that quite nicely thank you.

:uzi:

What two things do ALL these highly publicized mass shootings have in common?

1. They take place in supposed "gun free zones."

2. They stop when the shooter either turns the gun on himself or, *GASP* someone shoots him. Unfortunately, this means either waiting for police or waiting for someone to go out of the "gun free zone" to retrieve a weapon.

What two things do ALL these highly publicized mass shootings have in common?

1. They take place in supposed "gun free zones."

2. They stop when the shooter either turns the gun on himself or, *GASP* someone shoots him. Unfortunately, this means either waiting for police or waiting for someone to go out of the "gun free zone" to retrieve a weapon.

If you're going to go on a shooting spree then doing it in a "gun free" zone would certainly make the most sense, wouldn't it? I'm with you on this.

With regard to the professional vs. amateur discussion: I've got a nice C note myself that says I'm more than adequate in my abilities with a handgun to defend myself, even though I'm not currently a professional law enforcement officer.

I never implied that LEO is the only route to learning how to effectively employ a firearm in a tactical and self-defensive manner. How about the military? But in my highly unscientific personal experience, the vast majority of civilians I know who carry have not received any training beyond what is required by their local jurisdictions. They all bought their weapons (ignoring the hunters) for self-defense purposes, but never really received anything more than rudimentary training in that regard. Some of them can shoot the hell out of a paper target. That's great, and it is a fun hobby. But what that does to help you in the Flight Safety parking lot, I have no idea.

chig
1. Are you saying crime only happens in bad neighborhoods, and that not going to these particular atm's ensures that you are safe?

Give me a break, you are much safer going to an ATM in Woodstock, as opposed to one near Flight Safety.

Have you ever fired a weapon? Do you realize that police officers firearms training is as little as a week? Do you realize that your being an airline pilot and an American almost guarantees that you too could be an effective gun carrying citizen of the USA? I would be willing to bet that after a few good times at the range you would fair quite well defending yourself. This ain't no cat 2
Have you ever fired a weapon? Do you realize that police officers firearms training is as little as a week? Do you realize that your being an airline pilot and an American almost guarantees that you too could be an effective gun carrying citizen of the USA? I would be willing to bet that after a few good times at the range you would fair quite well defending yourself. This ain't no cat 2.

I am in the military, so yes, I have fired a weapon. I know many LEO's; next time I see one I will ask about the length of their training. I know one who told me that her academy was eight months long. I find it hard to believe that they would spend just one week on firearms and their employment. Even if it were true, that is one week more of VERY intense training than the average Joe bothers to seek out.

To your assertion that it is a trivial and piddly skill to learn, as compared to we mighty airline pilots, well, that is just arrogant. My original analogy spoke of a C-152, YOU are the one who amped it up to cat 2. At any rate, all true professions require intense initial and ongoing recurrent training, to go along with the trainee's serious demeanor and devotion to the task. Otherwise they are not professional vocations; they are hobbies.

Latest resources

Back