• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Come to recurrent armed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guns are great, when they are employed by trained and proficient professionals in their tactical use. [So I should hire a trained and proficient professional to follow me every time I want to go to the ATM? Or are you just saying I should wait until I've been mugged at the ATM before I decide to employ a trained and proficient professional?]

Anything else is just amateur hour. [So an individual with years of experience with firearms safety (and abiding by the law), has demonstrated to a trained and proficient professional that he/she can properly assess risk, and can responsibly own and operate a firearm is an "amateur"?]

I suppose there is some deterrent value to open carry, [but you specifically just said (and I quote), "Anything else is just amateur hour".]

but that is highly debatable. [Show me facts that it is highly debatable, you seem to be quite the expert. Actually, I have some facts for you. Take a gander at page 63 Figure 3.7 of this document and try to guess what happened in 1997.]

At any rate, I don't care if you can shoot the hell out of a paper target or clay pigeon or Bambi with your scope, it is not the same as effective combat or tactical training. [Right, that's all CCW requires of you... demonstrate the ability to knock off deer on a salt lick from a tree stand in your front yard.]

-Brett

Last edited:

To your assertion : So I should hire a trained and proficient professional to follow me every time I want to go to the ATM? Or are you just saying I should wait until I've been mugged at the ATM before I decide to employ a trained and proficient professional?

You are being ridiculous. Don't go to the frakkin ATM in a crappy neighborhood period, packing or not! Plan ahead a little better, or go ahead and carry, thump your chest, and tempt fate. I'll say something equally ludicrous: Tell your widow to put on your tombstone, "but he carried".

To your assertion that: So an individual with years of experience with firearms safety (and abiding by the law), has demonstrated to a trained and proficient professional that he/she can properly assess risk, and can responsibly own and operate a firearm is an "amateur"? The answer is yes. If some guy operates a C-152 on the weekends with "years of experience with flying safety, abiding by the FAR's, having already demonstrated to an examiner that he can safely operate said 152, he is still an amateur. He does not fly for a living. He is not a professional pilot. Operating an auto safely and within the law does not make me a professional race car driver, either.

To your point about open carry: Open carry, performed by amateurs, IS amateur hour. Quote me again. I don't mind. Go ahead and open carry to your next recurrent or next ATM visit in the hood. Have a blast, Wyatt.

chig
1. Are you saying crime only happens in bad neighborhoods, and that not going to these particular atm's ensures that you are safe?

2. Technically speaking, are you comparing the time, effort and training that is required to become a professional pilot with the time, effort and training that is required to safely and effectively defend yourself with a weapon?

3. Thank goodness you were not this ladies friend. A real friend of hers told her point at the bad guy and pull the trigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS8mdbml0A

Have you ever fired a weapon? Do you realize that police officers firearms training is as little as a week? Do you realize that your being an airline pilot and an American almost guarantees that you too could be an effective gun carrying citizen of the USA? I would be willing to bet that after a few good times at the range you would fair quite well defending yourself. This ain't no cat 2.

To your assertion : So I should hire a trained and proficient professional to follow me every time I want to go to the ATM? Or are you just saying I should wait until I've been mugged at the ATM before I decide to employ a trained and proficient professional?

You are being ridiculous. Don't go to the frakkin ATM in a crappy neighborhood period, packing or not! Plan ahead a little better, or go ahead and carry, thump your chest, and tempt fate. I'll say something equally ludicrous: Tell your widow to put on your tombstone, "but he carried".

To your assertion that: So an individual with years of experience with firearms safety (and abiding by the law), has demonstrated to a trained and proficient professional that he/she can properly assess risk, and can responsibly own and operate a firearm is an "amateur"? The answer is yes. If some guy operates a C-152 on the weekends with "years of experience with flying safety, abiding by the FAR's, having already demonstrated to an examiner that he can safely operate said 152, he is still an amateur. He does not fly for a living. He is not a professional pilot. Operating an auto safely and within the law does not make me a professional race car driver, either.

To your point about open carry: Open carry, performed by amateurs, IS amateur hour. Quote me again. I don't mind. Go ahead and open carry to your next recurrent or next ATM visit in the hood. Have a blast, Wyatt.

Okay, so those who choose to make a career out of law enforcement are the only ones skilled and capable enough to responsibly own and operate a firearm? Do I understand you correctly? Also, only ATM's in "the hood" are targeted by criminals?

I have a plan. Search this entire thread and provide the exact quote where I said that it was okay to carry to RGT.

I'd bet a c-note that the average CCDW permit holder gets more practice and is more accurate with their weapon of choice than the average police officer with their service weapon.

Remember when it took four of NYPD's finest 41 shots (only 19 of which were hits) to kill an unarmed Amadou Diallo?

If somebody's dumb enough to break into a regional pilot's car then they have no idea what they make. Just leave a note on your window that shows the salary of the average commuter pilot and the salary of a fry cook at Burger King. Chances are he'll move elsewhere.

I've been making alot of stupid points here out of humor, however, I truthfully applaud those that carry. However, I don't think I should- knowing myself, I'd be too apt to weed out the gene pool.

However, I will say that a decent amount of common sense goes along way. For those that REALLY want to tote a piece and look for some excuse to use it- go for a walk in College Park alone, at 2am. However, I'm just saying that I don't really see the need to pack if you go to Flight Safety. Honestly, that seems more than a little over the top to me. I certainly wouldn't venture much beyond the parking lot though, especially late at night.

If somebody is breaking into your car i.e. burglary it is legal in most states that have CCW laws to stop that person from burglarizing your car. If you try to stop that person(which ya should) and they come at you then it is legal and justifiable for you to shoot them.

Your statement is almost unbelievably ignorant. Even in a state where you have no duty to retreat, the first question that you will be asked after a shooting is what steps you took to avoid the confrontation. Walking up to a guy tossing your car isn't going to cut it anywhere when it comes time to explain that you used a firearm as a last resort. Even if you escape criminal charges, every dead crackhead out there has a relative who'll find a scumbag lawyer to bleed you dry in civil court.

Latest resources

Back