• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Come to recurrent armed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your statement is almost unbelievably ignorant. Even in a state where you have no duty to retreat, the first question that you will be asked after a shooting is what steps you took to avoid the confrontation.

Duty to retreat includes avoiding a confrontation. So, if you do not have a duty to retreat and you are justified in defending your property, the escalation to use of your firearm is also legally justified.

You're right about the civil suit though, that right there is the biggest reason I keep my gun out of situations even where it's legally justified.

As a regional FO, if somoene is breaking into your car and you are not sucking the teets of your parents, you probably have nothing of value, so is it worth it to confront him and escalate it to use of a firearm? Absolutely not. Even though he would deserve 2 to the chest, it's not smart.

Your statement is almost unbelievably ignorant. Even in a state where you have no duty to retreat, the first question that you will be asked after a shooting is what steps you took to avoid the confrontation. Walking up to a guy tossing your car isn't going to cut it anywhere when it comes time to explain that you used a firearm as a last resort. Even if you escape criminal charges, every dead crackhead out there has a relative who'll find a scumbag lawyer to bleed you dry in civil court.

You have zero clue how most law's are or have been interpreted. It is legal in almost every CCW state to defend your property from burglary with up to and including lethal force, no need to retreat. If I want to go up to and find out what is going on to my property, I can do that, in my state. This protects you from criminal charges. However just like if you are in a justifiable shooting defending your life that somebody can sue you in the civil realm. This is not debatable and I agree with you on that point. Most of the time though if the shooting was justified in the criminal realm, the civil lawsuit will be kicked by the courts as well.

This is not to say I am going to go up to the guy breaking into my car with my gun drawn, but I sure as hell am going to go up to and try to get the guy to stop. It is what happens after that that determines if my gun comes out or not. If the guy tries to attack me, gun comes out. If the guy runs off, gun does not come out. That is the difference. I am not a wacko carrying a gun because I want to be a cop. However, I know the law extremely well as well as lots of different situations and how to handle them. I know the principals of escalation and de-escalation. I also know I do not have to attempt to de-escalate or retreat, legally, where I live, however a smart man knows that they should try to attempt to de-escalate or retreat from a situation before going to the use of lethal force scenario.

Do you park in Lot S regularly? If you do, why not just park over there, exit at the cheese grater at the northwest corner of the lot, and make the 3 minute walk over to FSI? Might be easier than trying to find the legal loophole in asa/fsi policy that allows you to carry. I myself never had a problem whilst living at the roof, or parking at FSI, but then again I drove a cheap a$$ car and went to great lengths to ensure that absolutely nothing was visible through the windows. In the city where I used to work, people would break into your car just for the spare change that was visible in your cupholder.

I say take your damn gun, but after your termination let us know how safe you feel now living in that neighborhood.

I would much rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

My question wasn't whether it was legal per Georgia law to carry a handgun to a place of work; generally it is. My question was whether or not it was against company policy; it is. Therefore, the amount of time and effort that I've spent to get to this point in my career far outweighs any material possession that I might bring with me to recurrent training.

I'm not seeking a violent end to a criminal to protect my 'stuff'.

However, there is a realistic chance that any confrontation with a criminal in the act of committing a crime against my property could escalate into a life or death situation. To think otherwise, even during daylight hours in front of an active business, is simply naive.

With regard to the professional vs. amateur discussion: I've got a nice C note myself that says I'm more than adequate in my abilities with a handgun to defend myself, even though I'm not currently a professional law enforcement officer.

Most of the time though if the shooting was justified in the criminal realm, the civil lawsuit will be kicked by the courts as well.

Keep telling yourself that and I'm sure that everything will be OK.

Duty to retreat includes avoiding a confrontation. So, if you do not have a duty to retreat and you are justified in defending your property, the escalation to use of your firearm is also legally justified.

You're right about the civil suit though, that right there is the biggest reason I keep my gun out of situations even where it's legally justified.

As a regional FO, if somoene is breaking into your car and you are not sucking the teets of your parents, you probably have nothing of value, so is it worth it to confront him and escalate it to use of a firearm? Absolutely not. Even though he would deserve 2 to the chest, it's not smart.

Sounds like you live in Texas where gun laws are rather lax, however most states require that your life be in danger prior to using deadly force. Going after a car thief with a firearm is just stupid.

Dont forget about the GPS mount suction cup rings on your windshield.

A dead givaway.

Maybe the "pry it out of my cold dead hands" sticker would invite a break in?

Sounds like you live in Texas where gun laws are rather lax, however most states require that your life be in danger prior to using deadly force. Going after a car thief with a firearm is just stupid.

Swing and a miss.

Not so much in Georgia. Google up on the Georgia 'Right to Kill' law.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/2397441.html

et al.

If you have a reasonable threat to your life or your property, you may use deadly force.

For the naysayers who whined loudly when this bill was passed...no noticeable increase in violence has been recorded.

Considering the differences between what I had to do to get a concealed carry permit in Georgia, and what my friends in Texas have to do, you could make a sound argument that Georgia is more pro gun than Texas.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Swing and a miss.

Not so much in Georgia. Google up on the Georgia 'Right to Kill' law.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/2397441.html

et al.

If you have a reasonable threat to your life or your property, you may use deadly force.

For the naysayers who whined loudly when this bill was passed...no noticeable increase in violence has been recorded.

Considering the differences between what I had to do to get a concealed carry permit in Georgia, and what my friends in Texas have to do, you could make a sound argument that Georgia is more pro gun than Texas.

Just sayin'.

I bet this is the one law that a number of criminals have memorized. Knowing that you can be shot legally the moment you start doing your job must really suck.

Latest resources

Back