Comair pilots almost took wrong plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
747flyboy said:
dang Kev, I actually agree with you on something. Forget the dang 10-9, they messed up so many basic things which led to this accident. Pilot error....100%.

Monday morning quarterbacking before all the facts are in make you a dipstick 100%

Think this is whay this is not pilot error, it is human error, many human factors involved here, and lets wait and let this thing unravel and the errors be exposed...

Golden Falcon said:
Think this is whay this is not pilot error, it is human error, many human factors involved here, and lets wait and let this thing unravel and the errors be exposed...

Therein lies the difference. Some will say it's a difference without distinction, but they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong.

AF :cool:

CRJ puppy said:
Guess you didn't pay attention and hear that the Jepp 10-9 chart did not match what existed on the ground in LEX that day; missed that most of the associated lighting with runway 22 was inop due to recent construction (including distance remaining signage); missed that the runway edge lighting WAS operating for runway 26 that day; you missed that runway 26 is in fact really 150' wide like 22; missed that when you are on runway 22, because of the rise at the center part of the airport, you cannot see the other end of the runway, so it actually looks like a 3500' runway; missed that the controller wasn't watching the aircraft; and you missed that you are an a$$hole for posting such $hit.

This is actually a pretty good post. It shows that when an accident happens that "seems" to defy any logic, that there may be mitigating factors that when applied with environmental conditions and interpersonal communication etc.--- that things can get out of hand and lead to accidents.
If this were the case I'd argue that is not "100%" pilot error, but errors with Jepps, errors with painting, poor ATC manning and personnel management, etc. can help show that others have some responsibility for this accident.

ArcticFlier said:
I vote that we put kevdog and 747flyboy on the NTSB investigation board. They apparently have it all figured out.

AF :cool:

To the contrary, it's exactly THOSE types of people that the NTSB seeks to keep OUT of investigations. ;)

This tragedy is so unfortunate and so humbling. Many of us who have been to LEX have commented outloud or silently how it would be easy to turn onto the wrong runway. On that fateful day 3 strikes occurred and the point is that we are all human.

The sad precursor to this event is there have been countless events in the past of aircraft aligning incorrectly at this airport (as well as other airports similar to LEX). Most were corrected by notifications, cancelation of take off clearances and a few aborts.

The point is there were too many previous events that were not addressed. PAINT, SIGNS, LIGHTING, ETC. (Detailed NOTAMS, ATIS). And I am sure many of you more learned than me can come up with a few more novel improvements. The bottom line: We know what the error was. And any pilot worth their ability understands it could have been them, especially if they commute from LEX. The Contributing Factors of this event are much deeper.

I certainly hope that the recommendations from the NTSB report do not fall on deaf ears. We as pilots have an active role to make sure our airports get the improvements needed so we do not need to rehash history again. We as flight crews need to be humbled and try to learn from this....and try to move forward in a dignified manner.

For now, reach out and try to take care of everyone affected by this.
:cool:

Latest resources

Back