Comair pilots almost took wrong plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

embpic1

CNN is now reporting that the Comair pilots were on the wrong plane initially and a ramper caught it and informed them of their mistake.

Why is the media reporting this crap. To the average passenger this would sound like the pilots are not too bright. We however, know this happens occasionally and is no big deal. I have done it myself. This is especially true when dispatch does a tail swap at the last minute.

Pisses me off...

I have asked the gate agent before which airplane is going to <insert city here>. Then after pre-flighting it and getting it ready, you get the release and notice that it isn't the right tail number.

I can see why it may be relevant to the investigation and chain of events, but must likely it is not.

ReportCanoa said:
It certainly might put them in a rush, however.

True...

My point is that this is relevant to the investigation. I just don’t think CNN needs to be reporting it, giving the false impression of incompetence.

embpic1 said:
True...

My point is that this is relevant to the investigation. I just don’t think CNN needs to be reporting it, giving the false impression of incompetence.

I would agree. Even if they stated that it happens all the time with dispatch switching your aircraft or whatever can cause that, it still makes it sound like they didn't know what they were doing. Which is probably what CNN wants so more people tune in to see what they discover next to sensationalize common everyday things in aviation.

ReportCanoa said:
It certainly might put them in a rush, however.

Rushing just firms up the "Pliot Error" issue that much more, you never rush for anyone or for any reason. Better to be late than to kill 49 people.

embpic1 said:
True...

Rushing for anyone or any reason proves "incompetentcy". No false impression at all.

Piper877 said:
I would agree. Even if they stated that it happens all the time with dispatch switching your aircraft or whatever can cause that, it still makes it sound like they didn't know what they were doing. Which is probably what CNN wants so more people tune in to see what they discover next to sensationalize common everyday things in aviation.

The pilots didn't follow the 10-9, didn't realize they turned onto the wrong runway, didn't notice the wrong runway numbers, didn't notice the wrong runway markings, didn't notice there wasn't any runway lighting, and killed a bunch of passengers. Must not have been their day if they knew what they were doing.

embpic1 said:
True...

Why are you reporting it on FI?:smash:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back