Comair pilots almost took wrong plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ReportCanoa said:

[SIZE=-1]31 October 1979; Western Airlines DC10-10; Mexico City, Mexico: The crew inadvertently landed on a closed runway parallel to the active runway. The aircraft struck a large vehicle and crashed. 63 of the 77 passengers and 9 of the 11 crew were killed.

Some DC-10 drivers don't have their days either.
[/SIZE]
Ever flown into Mexico City?

ReportCanoa said:
You're a real class act, flyboy. And your signature tells all. And by the way, jerkoff, I am a Captain, so watch out!

Well, you make it sound like in the airlines you have to rush sometimes....you're just another accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, I was afraid you were a captain, god help us.

atrdriver said:
Hey genius boy...The 10-9 page that they had was NOT UPDATED for the new taxiways. Jepp had not released an updated page. So shouting out on here that they didn't follow their 10-9 page just makes you look like an idiot. Could they have caught their mistake? Probably, but it wouldn't have been from looking at their airport diagram.

I didn't realize this airport was like DFW. Have you ever flown for an airline that didn't spoon feed you everything? Have you ever flown to Central or South America?

Guys, just ignore this flamebait from Kevdog. He has been banned once or twice before because of some outrageous remarks. It's a shame that someone let him out of the penalty box.

ReportCanoa said:
No, but plenty of destinations within Mexico. Is it nice?

It's a very difficult approach if you aren't familiar with it. You can't see the airport (due to a mountain blocking your view) until you turn almost 80 degrees after a NDB to final about 4-5 miles out. Your groundspeed is about 25% faster than normal due to the high altitude. One of the runways is usually closed for MX.

1979 was a great time for CRM. Are you saying that DC10 crash wasn't pilot error and maybe the Spanish speaking controller could have saved the day if they notified the plane they were lined up for the wrong runway in broken English?

PCL_128 said:
Guys, just ignore this flamebait from Kevdog. He has been banned once or twice before because of some outrageous remarks. It's a shame that someone let him out of the penalty box.

Actually, I was banned once for talking about my relationship with Jesus.

Do we as pilots make mistakes? Of course! We aren't perfect and we do a risky job. I just have to think this mistake is comparable to the "I've never been this high, dude" crash a few years ago.

Why don't you kids grow up and knock it off?

Latest resources

Back