• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Furloughs...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The union is working on a furlough mitigation package with the company to include offering voluntary leaves, early retirement, pay-caps, etc.

The company is also experiencing attrition at an unbelievable rate.

These two factors were not included in Fred's projection. I think you will see a much smaller number of furloughs and a minor impact on the number of downgrades.

jehtplane said:
I am pretty sure that when you guys started furloughing there were not ANY pilot's saying serves them right.

Serves who right? The the mainlines never undercut or took flying that was being performed elsewhere for a better wage or benefit and said "we'll do it for less".

While I take no pleasure in seeing CMR pilots being furloughed, or XJ in Ch11, it is a glowing example, along with Indy air, of how the RJ uber alles business strategy is failed and how our fortunes and futures are all intertwined.

I do find it ironic that some here are laying the blame on cheap outsourced feed, and in the same breath saying maybe we can get some larger jet flying to offset the furloughs?!

Where do you think that will come from?

We are our own worse enemies sometmes.

Last edited:
FreightNazi said:
In its bankruptcy filing, Mesaba President and Chief Operating Officer John Spanjers said Mesaba will use bankruptcy to get "labor costs that will allow it to offer a competitive product to any major airline."

Seeing as NWA owns the CRJ's and ARJ's he'll have a hell of a product to offer with just the Saabs.

Me thinks this is part of the NWA death star's master plan. Probably have PCL do Ch11 also, combine the two, and make it part of the whole Newco deal, or tell the XJ/PCL folks take Mesa rates or it we'll sell you to Mesa and have them do it.

When exactly did DAL announce that MESA will be taking over the CMR reduction in flying?? I missed it.

Everyone sits in here and bashes on each other and mngmt gets a good laugh from it because you think you have a say in who fly's what and where. The only legal power any pilot group has is a work stoppage and I've yet to see one over which airlineor pilot group flys what, where or when. All we can do is beat on our chest and bitch about the way mngmt is running the airlines into the ground. When things fall apart they go after the easiest cut and thats labor costs. Then they start shopping for the lowest cost for the product they need. It's becomeing one big Walmart world and just like the mom and pop stores, we're getting F**ked!

So whats the solution? I don't have one yet.

Since Fred and DAL want cheap pilots, let's give 'em what they want. If they want to pay us 15% less, we should be willing to take NO chances with a questionable??? aircraft. I'm going to become very concerned about that chipped paint. Hey captain, I'm concerned about that rivet, that screw looks loose, my tuner knob is loose, my visor broke at an outstation(grounded). I'm concerned about the safety of our FA while taxing out. He/She is standing while doing the announcement. We should be very careful taxiing(AIM). "Single engine taxi, we don't need no stinkin' single engine taxi"!!!

During the original DAL pilots ' negotiations about a year ago, I was in Vegas on my way home(on mainline). My wife, son and I experienced the safest two engine taxi in our lives. The flightcrew was sooooo concerned for the passengers safety, it took 30 minutes to taxi to the runway. You bet I thanked them for their concern after the flight was over.

uncle said:
Since Fred and DAL want cheap pilots, let's give 'em what they want. If they want to pay us 15% less, we should be willing to take NO chances with a questionable??? aircraft. I'm going to become very concerned about that chipped paint. Hey captain, I'm concerned about that rivet, that screw looks loose, my tuner knob is loose, my visor broke at an outstation(grounded). I'm concerned about the safety of our FA while taxing out. He/She is standing while doing the announcement. We should be very careful taxiing(AIM). "Single engine taxi, we don't need no stinkin' single engine taxi"!!!

During the original DAL pilots ' negotiations about a year ago, I was in Vegas on my way home(on mainline). My wife, son and I experienced the safest two engine taxi in our lives. The flightcrew was sooooo concerned for the passengers safety, it took 30 minutes to taxi to the runway. You bet I thanked them for their concern after the flight was over.

How exactly does this help anything or anyone?

That's not a solution or a legal work action. That does nothing to fix the situation were in, just bring everything down further. That used to work back in the day when things were good and airlines were making money and you were affecting the profit and bonuses for the exec's. Now it just makes the loss even more and jobs even less and the lower cost companies look even better. Putz. Single engine taxi's not for safety, it's to save gas. Delay the flight by writing everything up, piss the pax's off, that works so well.

Why don't you give the company 15% less of your skills and become a smoking hole in the ground, that'll show em. No wonder you're furloughed, you probably helped mngmt run your airline into the ground with all your fix it ideas.

Flechas said:
I wish you guys the best of luck, this really sucks. A few months ago you guys gave pay freeze for growth, and now lookat this, allthe growth is going to Mesa Whorelines....

All this just shows that you cannot trust a SINGLE thing management says.

They lie, deceive, and cheat. They don't respect the workforce in the least. They will say/do/promise whatever the day requires to get the job done.

Their mouths write checks their bodies can't cash, and in the end, they're enriched with salaries/bonuses while we are stuck with worthless "contracts."

Wake up!

You are absolutely correct about management lying. I got duped the first time with the freeze, which was actually about a $3.00 dollar/hour pay cut. I voted yes SOLEY for job preservation, not shiny new jets or a quicker upgrade. I had already done the PIC thing. Do I have job preservation? Nope. I might even be furloughed if they do dump 440 of us. I'm voting No. I'll take my chances with the judge. I refuse to be paid less than a Skywest ot Chit-Taco pilot.

Latest resources

Back