• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair furloughs 210

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And they're still saying they're planning to recall in December. I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense to furlough/downgrade that many people for all of two months.

I know that's what ALPA said a month ago but new information is they wont recall until 2nd quarter 09!

One of the furloughees talked to Crew forecasting and planning and they said they are only expecting to recall 50 in 2009. Unless something changes with Mesa. Court date isnt supposed to be heard until spring 09

So ALPA says December and the Company says only 50 in 2009.

Lets see, the way this place runs we should be recalling, hiring, and upgrading in about 3 weeks.

I hope its short guys. Unfortunately I think the entire thing lies with Mesa's ability to remain out of Bankruptcy or win the lawsuit.

Mesa will be de-listed on Dec 15th from the NASDAQ do to less than a dollar a share. They have massive amounts of debt due in early 2009 and still have the lawsuit with ALOHA's creditors. Hawaiian was awarded 80 plus million and from all accounts ALOHA is said to have a stronger case.

There once was a Pilot group who said Enough! They put their careers on the line and walked out for 89 days. They said "we would rather risk every thing than continue with the status quoe. They fought a good fight and won a contract that put them at the top of the Regional Industry. Did they get every thing they wanted? No. But they were satisfied they had done there part. The other Regional Pilot groups would now pick up the torch and continue the fight.
Boy, were they wrong.Republic pilots were in a 30 day cooling off period. They had a decision to make. Under cut the Comair pilot group or demand what Comair Pilots got plus a little.
That is called pattern bargaining. A common practice that dates back decades.
They chose the path of cowards. They were told if they under cut the Comair Pilots, they would get a bunch of Shiny New Jets. Quick upgrades. They bought into it. They could not resist. The Mesa Pilots had already bowed to ornstein. They watched as jo played them like a fiddle. They saw all this play out and they STLL bowed to the same tactics jo had used to beat his pilots into submission.
It was sad to watch. All it did was give them an excuse to stab the Comair Pilots in the back.
Now today, Comair is sending 206 pilots packing.
All hopes of bargain pattern bargaining is gone because of the actions of a couple of short sited pilot groups.
So if you guys and gals ever wonder why a Comair Pilot looks the other way when you pass him or her in the terminals, just think about the 206 fine pilots who no longer have jobs due in large part to your short sited actions at a time when you could of stood tall and joined the Comair Pilots in saying "Enough!"

100% I AGREE NEXT TIME STAND UP FOR THE PROFFESSION EVERYONE DO IT OR SCREW IT!!!

There once was a Pilot group who said Enough! They put their careers on the line and walked out for 89 days. They said "we would rather risk every thing than continue with the status quoe. They fought a good fight and won a contract that put them at the top of the Regional Industry. Did they get every thing they wanted? No. But they were satisfied they had done there part. The other Regional Pilot groups would now pick up the torch and continue the fight.
Boy, were they wrong.Republic pilots were in a 30 day cooling off period. They had a decision to make. Under cut the Comair pilot group or demand what Comair Pilots got plus a little.
That is called pattern bargaining. A common practice that dates back decades.
They chose the path of cowards. They were told if they under cut the Comair Pilots, they would get a bunch of Shiny New Jets. Quick upgrades. They bought into it. They could not resist. The Mesa Pilots had already bowed to ornstein. They watched as jo played them like a fiddle. They saw all this play out and they STLL bowed to the same tactics jo had used to beat his pilots into submission.
It was sad to watch. All it did was give them an excuse to stab the Comair Pilots in the back.
Now today, Comair is sending 206 pilots packing.
All hopes of bargain pattern bargaining is gone because of the actions of a couple of short sited pilot groups.
So if you guys and gals ever wonder why a Comair Pilot looks the other way when you pass him or her in the terminals, just think about the 206 fine pilots who no longer have jobs due in large part to your short sited actions at a time when you could of stood tall and joined the Comair Pilots in saying "Enough!"

I agree with everything above EXCEPT the furloughs have very little to do with the other spineless pilots (CHQ, MESA). Furloughs are due to big oil, small jets, slow winter months.

And before you get up on your high and mighty pedestal, we (well actually not me - just the 51% of my spineless co-workers) stabbed ASA in the back when they were in negotiations. Remember Fred's pay freeze? And then BK slaughter? We should have (actually I did) said NO to both.

Oh BTW: Mesa Sucks!

Last edited:
Yes Mesa will be de-listed due to their shares being less than a dollar ($.46/share today) for such a long period of time.

Bonds are coming due that they supposedly can't pay. Watch JO pull something out of his ass though..

Yeah Mesa lost against Hawaiian but remember they settled for 52 mil. I believe. A lot less than the 80 mil. the courts awarded.

Aloha has stated their intention to sell the lawsuit against Mesa as an asset. Who knows if/when that thing will ever see the light of day in a court room.

And with all this, what exactly does it have to do with Comair?

Last edited:
And before you get up on your high and mighty pedestal, we (well actually not me - just the 51% of my spineless co-workers) stabbed ASA in the back when they were in negotiations. Remember Fred's pay freeze? And then BK slaughter? We should have (actually I did) said NO to both.

Yes, that didn't help. Right after JC sent us those "Comair pilot support ASA pilots" bag stickers too. Some of those found, um, creative uses.

I don't blame you guys for BK. You had a gun to your head and nowhere to go.

But, this doesn't really have anything to do with the furloughs as they weren't there then. Best of luck to everybody finding jobs and hopefully something better will present itself.

Yes Mesa will be de-listed due to their shares being less than a dollar ($.46/share today) for such a long period of time.

Bonds are coming due that they supposedly can't pay. Watch JO pull something out of his ass though..

Yeah Mesa lost against Hawaiian but remember they settled for 52 mil. I believe. A lot less than the 80 mil. the courts awarded.

Aloha has stated their intention to sell the lawsuit against Mesa as an asset. Who knows if/when that thing will ever see the light of day in a court room.

And with all this, what exactly does it have to do with Comair?

When, not if, Mesa goes away.... Comair gets their 900s and the flying BACK from the ERJs. When Mesa does go BK, I will buy the first Mesa pilot I see a beer. Then tell him to get the F**k out!

The reason why I'm so hostile towards the Mesa PILOTS is that they CHOSE to go to Mesa knowing it was a subpar airline with a subpar contract or they were there and voted it in. Either way, Mesa Pilots Suck!

I have heard every excuse in the book from Mesa pilots and former Mesa pilots why they went there. It's a quick upgrade, short reserve, JO had us by the balls with Freedom, etc.

Last edited:
When, not if, Mesa goes away.... Comair gets their 900s and the flying BACK from the ERJs. When Mesa does go BK, I will buy the first Mesa pilot I see a beer. Then tell him to get the F**k out!

The reason why I'm so hostile about the Mesa PILOTS is that they CHOOSE to go to Mesa knowing it was a subpar airline with a subpar contract or they were there and voted it in. Either way, Mesa Pilots Suck!

You say that as if it's fact. Didn't Delta decide to give those 900's to you then take them away in the same week? I honestly wish the best for Comair, but it seems you guys have been put on the back burner by Delta, and they have bigger plans for the other players. Unfortunately I think ASA is in the same boat. :erm: Those 900's are going somewhere else, and that 50 flying is gone for good. So lets just all count our losses on those.

I agree with you on the Mesa pukes though. They can go Feck themselves. I'll buy the whole freaking bar a round the day I hear they are done for.

Last edited:
You say that as if it's fact. Didn't Delta decide to give those 900's to you then take them away in the same week? I honestly wish the best for Comair, but it seems you guys have been put on the back burner by Delta, and they have bigger plans for the other players. Unfortunately I think ASA is in the same boat. :erm: Those 900's are going somewhere else, and that 50 flying is gone for good. So lets just all count our losses on those.

I agree with you on the Mesa pukes though. They can go Feck themselves. I'll buy the whole freaking bar a round the day I hear they are done for.

The 900s are temporarily parked. I heard this direct from a CP - has to do with the Mesa lawsuit.

The 50 flying I believe is not permanently gone. I think we will see some of it, not all of it, come back in the spring depending on oil prices (IF MESA TANKS). We all know that winter is slow for the industry and maybe we will soon be seeing a permanent trend of seasonal workers at the bottom of the lists.

Lets see, the way this place runs we should be recalling, hiring, and upgrading in about 3 weeks.

That's what I'm thinking also. How we're supposed to make it through the holiday flying season with 200 fewer people is what I'd like to know.

Latest resources

Back