Comair canceling interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
As far as the pension---I really don't care if it goes away, I won't be getting one. The guys who could take half of their lump sum have left the building. IF they didn't leave with their million dollars, too bad.
Bye Bye--General Lee

The real General Lee has spoken. It floors me how many regional pilots actually believe that the mainline pilots can be trusted - they don't even care about each other as the General has just shown. ALPA has failed miserably and now it truly is everyone for themselves.

uba757 said:
General why do you think we cant get the 100 seaters? I guess you rather they go to MESA. Spoke with one of the captains in the interview comm. and he says they want to put 2 classes a week for 3 weeks in September so I dont know what to tell you guys. Uba757

classes for september are cancelled

General, I'm not trying to be too argumentative here because I agree with a lot of the stuff you've said here. However, I'd like to play devils advocate for a minute. The issue is why the regionals are flying 50 seat aircraft when the CASM is higher, especially in light of the ridiculour fuel prices. The reason there are so many 50 seat RJ's flying around is that mainline ALPA (at every major, but especially Delta) fought for such great contracts in their last negotiations prior to this economic slump. Therefore, regionals could actually fly these RJ's more economically because the crews are paid so little compared to what mainline would want to be compensated for flying them. The only reason these RJ's all have 50 seats is due to scope. Mainline ALPA is responsible for the limited scope. I agree that at the time the scope clause was written, it seemed like a good idea. It would protect mainline jobs and ensure that any larger aircraft were flown at mainline. Unfortunately, what ended up happening was that mainline management decided that it would be more economical to contract with RJ operators than to get more 73's or an equivalent aircraft at mainline. Now with fuel being the price it is, the RJ's are not as good a deal as everyone originally thought. I believe fuel was about $15-20 a barrel when the RJ's really hit the market full steam. As it happens, we are in an economic slump and that is forcing companies into bankruptcy. One thing has to give way, given the current fuel prices. Airlines either need to release scope, or mainline needs to lower it's pay to make it more affordable to fly these 100 seat aircraft at competitive rates. Now I'm not going to go down the road that a lot of people would go down right now as far as national unions would stop this, and if the LCC would step up and fight for better contracts, we'd all be better off. Those are grandiose ideas that aren't happening right now. High fuel prices and bankruptcy are happening right now and I'm only talking about the situation "as is." I'm interested in your thoughts.

flaps30 said:
you're so.... strange. I'll bet you're one of those guys who wears his hat while eating chow, come on admit it.
I don't care what aircraft you fly or where, your answer only proves how self-centered you really are.

I wear it backwards, like a Frenchman. And I make strange noises too, like I am talking to aliens. Thanks for the slam.

Bye Bye--General Lee

uba757 said:
General why do you think we cant get the 100 seaters? I guess you rather they go to MESA. Spoke with one of the captains in the interview comm. and he says they want to put 2 classes a week for 3 weeks in September so I dont know what to tell you guys. Uba757

UBA,

I really don't know what will happen coming up here, but it doesn't really look pretty anyway you look at it. If we go to court, expect everyone still wholly owned to get slammed, and maybe some of ASA since Delta still owns 40 of their CRJs. Grinstein said he would park from 10% to north of 100 CRJs. I sisn't put that in his mouth. We will also park a bunch of 737s and some older 762s. That stinks too. I don't know if you will have more classes or not.

Bye Bye--General Lee

DirkkDiggler said:
General, I'm not trying to be too argumentative here because I agree with a lot of the stuff you've said here. However, I'd like to play devils advocate for a minute. The issue is why the regionals are flying 50 seat aircraft when the CASM is higher, especially in light of the ridiculour fuel prices. The reason there are so many 50 seat RJ's flying around is that mainline ALPA (at every major, but especially Delta) fought for such great contracts in their last negotiations prior to this economic slump. Therefore, regionals could actually fly these RJ's more economically because the crews are paid so little compared to what mainline would want to be compensated for flying them. The only reason these RJ's all have 50 seats is due to scope. Mainline ALPA is responsible for the limited scope. I agree that at the time the scope clause was written, it seemed like a good idea. It would protect mainline jobs and ensure that any larger aircraft were flown at mainline. Unfortunately, what ended up happening was that mainline management decided that it would be more economical to contract with RJ operators than to get more 73's or an equivalent aircraft at mainline. Now with fuel being the price it is, the RJ's are not as good a deal as everyone originally thought. I believe fuel was about $15-20 a barrel when the RJ's really hit the market full steam. As it happens, we are in an economic slump and that is forcing companies into bankruptcy. One thing has to give way, given the current fuel prices. Airlines either need to release scope, or mainline needs to lower it's pay to make it more affordable to fly these 100 seat aircraft at competitive rates. Now I'm not going to go down the road that a lot of people would go down right now as far as national unions would stop this, and if the LCC would step up and fight for better contracts, we'd all be better off. Those are grandiose ideas that aren't happening right now. High fuel prices and bankruptcy are happening right now and I'm only talking about the situation "as is." I'm interested in your thoughts.

Looks like Mianline will lower prices, thanks to a judge possibly. But, Delta is learing a couple things here. First, INTL flying has very little LCC competition. So, Grinstein said in that inccommand meeting that anything that could fly INTL will in 2006. We have some domestic 767ERs that will be converted to INTL, and the 764s will also do more INTL flying (besides just Lima, Peru). We will park some gas guzzling 732s and some mx hog airplanes--762s, plus the Shuttle planes (733s). Second, efficiency. We are trying to increase the turn times on the other narrowbody aircraft in ATL---like MD88s and 738s. The 757s and higher take too long to unload all of the cargo and then reload, so 45 minutes can't be done on those. But, that decrease of turns adds about 39 aircraft to the mix. That could take a chunk out of the loss of airplanes.

As far as scope goes, I really don't know exactly what would be done. I am sure limits on 70 seaters would be gone, and possibly 90 seaters, but I don't know. Grinstein said he thought there would be 737-700s and a lot more 70 seaters, which have great potential with first class put in them. (like SkyWest United) He stated that fact at the incommand session. There was no mention of any 90 seaters, and I am sure people asked. Does that mean it won't happen? No. They might have them in the plans, I don't know.

A lot of this is speculation, since I am not privy to boardroom meetings. But, I saw the notes for the Incommand and that is all I can go with. I am sure our leaders are looking at all of the options. As far as ALPA allowing RJs way back when---I think that wasn't very smart. But, what can you do about it now? Every regional pilot wanting larger planes while mainline shrinks is not a good idea either. Mainline will always have better pay and benefits---and with a shrinking fleet, that gives less opportunities in the future. If people don't care about that, then sobeit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Laiughing at Comair guys? Huh? Here we go again, same old Flaps 30 who doesn't know krap. I am just repeating from what I heard from the last Incommand session on Aug 10th--where Grinstein spoke. As far as the pension---I really don't care if it goes away, I won't be getting one. The guys who could take half of their lump sum have left the building. IF they didn't leave with their million dollars, too bad. We have had 2500 Captains leave in 14 months. 200 left today (Sept 1st). That is 200 widebody Captains. Upcoming pay cuts? Yup. But I can already hold Captain on the MD88, and even with the parking of some planes, I will probably hold 777 FO or 767-400 FO in ATL flying to Hawaii. Pay raises for both of those from my current pay, and with a pay cut it may come out about even. That's what happens when you lose 2500 Captains in 14 months. And you say what about scope? We may lose some, probably. But, you and I have no clue if there will be 100 seaters or if there will be more 70 seaters, which will likely replace all of the 50 seaters you may park. How long will it take to replace them? Good question. Do you know? Also, we just settled on a new 737-700 pay rate during our last round, and even Grinstein recently said we would love to have a bunch of those eventually to serve Central America---immediate profits too (no LCCs currently there---except TACA) Those carry how many people? I really don't know---125? So, again, please tell me how many DCI 100 seaters would be ordered if we still ordered a bunch of 125 seat 737-700s? Good question. Also, Comair probably wouldn't get ANY OF THE POSSIBLE 100 SEATERS.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL,

You said you could hold MD-88 Captain. How many years have you been over there?

Thanks

AA

'96 hire. (2500 Captains left in 14 months--200 yesterday)

Bye Bye--General Lee

unrealistic expectations

This thread is absolute proof that some Comair pilots are not living in reality.

Folks, Delta (along with almost every other major airline) started furloughing pilots 4 years ago.

During that same four years Delta grew its regional jet fleet (armada?) at an astounding rate. Not only 50-seat jets, but also 70 passenger CRJs and now EMB170s.

Literally THOUSANDS of pilots were hired at Delta Connection carriers including Comair.

Today the economy may be changing. 50 and perhaps even 70 seat "regional jets" may no longer be as viable as they were when fuel prices were lower. Additionally, Delta may be close to bankruptcy...and Comair will go with it.

A lot of Comair pilots are anxiously awaiting Delta's bankruptcy as if this will suddenly open the floodgates of 100+ seat airplanes to be flown by Comair.

It's time for a reality check. Bankruptcy is not good for ANYONE. It will be every bit as damaging for your company and your contract as it is for Delta.

Now Comair is - apparently - temporarily halting newhire interviews/training and pilots here are up in arms! Suddenly there is another call for scope to be eliminated because the TURBO-GROWTH that Comair has been experiencing has halted.

You are simply sharing in the pain of your parent company. You haven't seen the furloughs, downgrades that Delta has. You should be delighted that your company has not gone down that road ... yet.

The SJS crowd needs a reality check on their career expectations. Soon.

Latest resources

Back