Comair canceling interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
True, but 2,000 (or more) of those pilots left Delta holding $1,000,000 to $3,000,000. in cash and some are still flying the line for better than $250,000 a year because Delta is understaffed in some seats.

It is not pretty for anyone, but the Delta pilots voted to keep us separate, they voted to allow their senior guys to come back while their junior brothers were on the street. For the majority of the Delta pilots they got what they voted for and if they invest their millions properly they are more than set for life.

I'd be glad to retire in my early fifties with a couple of million.

And don't get the feeling that growth has been "explosive" at all ends of DCI. I got to enjoy reserve for over 3 years and probably will get to enjoy some more in the near future. It has been the non wholly owned's (non ALPA) carriers like CHQ and SkyWest who are enjoying the sub 24 month Captain upgrades.

Why am I on this board, I need to be filling out applications.....

So you have a problem with guys leaving with their hard earned pensions ?

The fact is that 3000 pilots have gone from the property and over 1000 of those have been furloughed, all while Comair has been hiring at a fairly good rate.

I do not think that any of the over 1000 furloughed Delta pilots could give a sh1t that you had to sit on reserve for 3 measly years, while they were on the street.

You guys want help from the Delta pilots now...what have you guys done to try and help out while they have been bleeding ?? a: told the furloughed pilots that you did not even want them at the bottom of your list (while you guys would love DOH on Delta's). a: The RJDC (need I say more)

ASA was more than happy about hiring furloughed Delta guys and someday that will be remembered. As far as Comair goes I know that 1060 Delta pilots will never ever ever forget your help.

The CR7FO October Bid Packet had the following class dates published in it.

9/2 4
9/12 8
9/19 6
9/26 12
10/3 12
10/10 12
10/17 12
11/7 8
11/14 8

YTD Hired 188. CY05 projected hiring 250. Of course this was published yesterday so I'm sure it's not true by now. I'm out of the loop since I'm down on the gulf coast putting a roof on my house...AGAIN!

Jetsetter said:
The fact is that 3000 pilots have gone from the property and over 1000 of those have been furloughed, all while Comair has been hiring at a fairly good rate.

a: The RJDC (need I say more)

ASA was more than happy about hiring furloughed Delta guys and someday that will be remembered. As far as Comair goes I know that 1060 Delta pilots will never ever ever forget your help.
Er' um, don't know how to tell you this Sir, but you are wrong on so many assumptions:

First, I'm ASA and don't need any help from any Delta pilot. Not that any Delta pilot has ever offered any help.

Second, most of the Delta guys left as millionaire's, in cash. I'm happy for them. The guys that are remaining at an insolvent Delta might be wondering if everyone cashing out is such a good thing. Oh well, enjoy your new seniority, just realize nothing is free.

Third, you slam the RJDC, but if they had gotten their way all the 3,000 pilots you mentioned would be either millionaires, or employed. The Delta MEC kept the operations separate, the Delta pilots ratified scope, the Comair guys were not even allowed to participate. I don't know why you are mad at them.

As a line pilot who flies with Delta Furloughees all the time, I guess I spend more time with them than you do. Delta has some great pilots waiting to come back on board and I wish them all the best. Darned if their own MEC keeps screwing things up for them.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
If Delta does file Im sure Mesa will pick up more Connection routes since their cost is going to be the lowest. At least thats what is supposed to happen in bankruptcy court. Sell to the lowest bidder to save $$$

~~~^~~~ said:
Er' um, don't know how to tell you this Sir, but you are wrong on so many assumptions:

First, I'm ASA and don't need any help from any Delta pilot. Not that any Delta pilot has ever offered any help.

Second, most of the Delta guys left as millionaire's, in cash. I'm happy for them. The guys that are remaining at an insolvent Delta might be wondering if everyone cashing out is such a good thing. Oh well, enjoy your new seniority, just realize nothing is free.

Third, you slam the RJDC, but if they had gotten their way all the 3,000 pilots you mentioned would be millionaires, or at least employed.

Your MEC kept the operations separate, your MEC voted on scope, the Comair guys were not even allowed to participate. I don't know why you are mad at them.

As a line pilot who flies with Delta Furloughees all the time, I guess I spend more time with them than you do. Delta has some great pilots waiting to come back on board and I wish them all the best. Darned if their own MEC keeps screwing things up for them.

~~~^~~~

Ok, you work for ASA, the way you were posting made it seem like you work for Comair.

I do not agree with you about the RJDC. If they get their way it looks like many many more mainline jobs will be sent to the lowest bidder. (not good for anybody)

As far as scope, I have read all the debates about what the Delta MEC did and did not do,and we will never have the same view on that. They did however ask the Comair MEC about preferencial hiring on the bottom of Comair's list, and they wanted DOH on Delta's, so it was not agreed upon. That is where I have a problem with Comair's pilots. ASA seemed to welcome Delta's furloughed pilots.

flaps30 said:
general, shouldn't you be more concerned about your lost pension and upcoming paycut than to laugh at the Comair guys who could be parking planes. They will be the ones flying the 100+ seaters when your scope vanishes before your smug azz smile.

hmm, think so? First of all, the Delta pilots don't have much leverage, but we do have a little. Every pilot I have talked to is willing to shut it down over scope. Second, management knows they will have to work with the pilots down the road. Once we go in to BK, you have to come back out. Hard to get financing in place to leave BK with a pissed off labor group ready to strike the minute you leave BK. They won't go after 100 seat scope. They know it would piss off the pilots. Plus, once they are in BK, they can get the rates they want for it anyway. We are going to lose our pensions, lose the rest of our work rules, and have our rates cut. How is that different from the contract at CMR? My guess is a 100 seat rate at Delta will be no higher, and probably lower, than what CMR would fly it for. Would it really make sense to outsource those aircraft? Having said that I do think, and have heard, that Delta will be asking for relief on the number of 70 seaters as the 50 seat RJs just are not working and they want to start getting rid of them.

bvt1151 said:
simply incorrect

I do not know about the September 2 class but starting on the 12 there are no more classes running in September. I was informed Thursday night after business hours. Delta is still negotiationg the contract with Comair and Comair has stopped hiring and running additional classes. That information is straight from the source. I would be called as soon as classes were to start again, so yes classes are cancelled. It is not simply incorrect but I wish it were.

Last edited:
They have been postponed pending an announcement from Delta. It will be the middle of this week or next.
I am thinking we have been sold. Something is up.

Hopefully for Comair guys they'd get IPO'd instead of sold. I bet if they are sold they will be not be sold as a whole. I don't think Mesa has enough money to buy Comair. Comair has a lot of 50's and no one needs more of those. Notice how SkyWest left 40 planes on Delta's balance sheet with the ASA purchase. I think something similar will happen at Comair.

Latest resources

Back