Colgans future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Godfather...

Working on getting something planned for later in the month. Once I get the details worked out, I'll let you know.

Definitely need to have a drink on the cape!!

Hard to believe it's been almost two years. I flew with Scott several times... I'll definitely raise a glass for the fellas.

cpierse said:
I just looked at the August pairings for IAH. It looks like there are only a few standups, and quite a lot of actual overnights (just like a REAL airline). Does it all change once the awards come out?

I'm still in the Beech, but barring a painful QOL, I would probably bid for IAD if and when it happens.

I dunno because I am doing ALL stand ups this month!

I stoked, I just finished ground school and in two weeks will start sim. Whats the deal with IAH is it senior or do I have a chance in hell of gettin it in the near future? Thanks to any informed oppinions

GOOD JOB!

out of the prevoious class I think at least two got IAH so i think it is still growing and new hires still get it. But i am not sure what the immediate plans are.

Do you go home those two weeks without pay? Just wondering. For sim: make sure you know your memory items ahead of time. Know each page of the limitations chapter. Itt limits and what not. Look at the flows and memorize them. Especially: climb flow...at 400 feet, and before landing flow...the one you do after the gear goes down. This will help you a whole lot. Memorize the profiles for the ILS, one engine ILS, V1 cut. Know the call outs cold. Know the procedures for steep turns, and the 3 different stalls. Know what the safety checks are. Altitude, airspeed, area clear..blah blah blah. If you look through (do not memorize) all of the yellow and red checklists it will help you to learn the plane and it's systems. The items the checklist calls for should somewhat make sence to you as to why they do them. If not, you may want to study that system a little more. Especially the landing gear area. In the sim they may tell you the weather before you take off, make sure you know if you need a take off alternate or not, they will try and trick you. Stay positive at all times, and it should be fun.

Joe Blow is timing out. You have to work for him. I have you deadheading to LGA at 6:10 am, to pick up a LGA ORF turn, dead head back to LGA for a 12:20 ACK, HYA. When you get HYA give dispatch a call. oh, better bring an over night bag.

But my wifes having a baby!

Welcome to colgan!!

yeeeeeee haaaaaah

BUT your going to be upgraded in 1 month then united is going to be begging you to work for them on the LAX-NRT route as soon as you have 1000pic turbine!

These are just a few of the lessons that all Colgan FOs should be taught either in ground school or on IOE:

The absolute best policy for a Colgan pilot is to NEVER, I repeat NEVER pick up your phone without checking the caller ID from the time you check out on your last day until your show time on your first day. NEVER. Unless you want to fly and/or compete for the company whore crown.

There is no concept of "I'll rub your back, you'll rub mine". The complete lack of communication at the mothership means your favor is off the map 5 minutes after you agree to do one. If you want quid pro quo, extract the concession at the time of the favor.

Realize that they have you for 16 hours from your show time every time you come to work. And you might not get home.

If you have a reserve day followed by a day off, expect to have your ass dumped somewhere other than your base, and then travel home on your day off.

Check in with dispatch early the night before you have a reserve day (like 5pm). They don't think up the screwy stuff until far later. Then don't pick up your phone until 5am or 11am, whatever the case may be.

Do not try to assist in solving dispatch problems. Any idea that you offer that makes sense will be immediately discarded, so don't offer it. There's always the chance they'll think of it.

When your day is disintegrating and you are wondering, "What are they going to do with us next?" just relax, hang out, and do not call them. Nothing good can ever come of asking questions. They have you for 16 hours. They might even forget about you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back