• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Troubles?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The captain stated that during the takeoff roll, the first officer called "V1 rotate" at 100 knots. The captain pulled the yoke with both hands, and it did not move. The captain then pulled significantly harder, and the yoke moved quickly aft. The airplane "jumped" into the air, but the captain was able to maintain controlled flight. The captain noted that everything was normal except the elevator trim moved slowly nose up, which required an input of 1/2-unit nose down trim every 1 to 2 minutes. The flight landed uneventfully at AUG about 28 minutes after takeoff.

One simple question?

If you pulled back on the yoke, and it did not move. WHY would you pull "significantly" harder? If it does not want to fly there is usually a reason.

If you pulled back on the yoke, and it did not move. WHY would you pull "significantly" harder? If it does not want to fly there is usually a reason

You have to have the full picture before you second guess a flight crew when you're not there.

The aircraft departed on a 4000 foot runway with large trees on each end. How far down that 4000 foot runway do you think the aircraft was when the FO called "V1 rotate?" How much runway is it going to take a Beech 1900 without anti skid to stop from by now 110-120 knots??

My guess, and it's only a guess since I wasn't there, is the captain pulled significantly harder because it was either that or end up in the trees with probable death.

Sounds to me that this captain did one he!! of a job and deserves Kudos for thinking on the go and outside the QRH and bringing a potentially deadly situation to a safe ending.

Great job!!!

This time it worked out....I have a copy of the picture of the elevator and they got lucky it did not jam. I don't want to monday morning QB, But I do know the BE1900D will stop real quick with or without anti-skid. This time it was the right move. kudos to the crew!

b1900guy said:
This time it worked out....I have a copy of the picture of the elevator and they got lucky it did not jam. I don't want to monday morning QB, But I do know the BE1900D will stop real quick with or without anti-skid. This time it was the right move. kudos to the crew!

Maybe if you've flown out of there, you would understand. On a 5000 ft runway (if it was 31), the second or two trying to figure out what's going on, you have just ruined your chances of stopping safely -- that's why they call it V1! Taking it flying is the safest move, and it is a straight shot to AUG, which is probably the smartest move if you suspect flight control problems

Having flown the Biatch-1900 for quite some time, I must disagree on easy stopping with no anti-skid at 100+ on that length runway

BSkin said:
Maybe if you've flown out of there, you would understand. On a 5000 ft runway (if it was 31), the second or two trying to figure out what's going on, you have just ruined your chances of stopping safely -- that's why they call it V1! Taking it flying is the safest move, and it is a straight shot to AUG, which is probably the smartest move if you suspect flight control problems

Now, I don't know what happened in this particular situation, but in every airplane I have ever flown that HAD a "V1", there were only a very small handful of situations in which you'd attempt to stop after passing V1... And one of those was a flight control failure. "Taking it flying" is not "the safest" move if you have no idea if it will actually FLY.

Again, didn't necessarily apply here, but aborting past V1 for some circumstances is a better scenario than continuing.

Latest resources

Back