• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Troubles?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So where are you guys flying out of IAD too??? I just want to make sure that my mother avoids those cities as she travels alot thru IAD. Sorry not to bag, but this stuff ain't cool when family is involved...

Mookie

Prop2Jet -- affirmative.

I.P, we can all judge in hindsight, but knowing that runway, and being at V1 at least half way down it, trying to lift off and have a second or two to try it again, or abort, I'd say they did the right thing in that situation.

Oh, and can you relay that to b1900 guy, since I guess he relies on you to get his point.:)

LOL Like I said, I know nothing of the airport or runway in question... Just that aborting after V1 is sometimes a good idea, esp. when the doubt about your ability to actually get airborne is in question. No slam on the crew and their reaction, either, just in case someone decides to make an issue out of it!

No worries. I recommend visiting that airport (RKD). Drive from BOS though. Beautiful place 4-5 months out of the year. And a very special double-wide (and a half) trailer as the terminal.

b1900guy said:
bskin how much runway do yo need to stop the b1900d?

Sorry, don't have the manual anymore.

It's very easy to look in hindsight on any 'incident'. Sure, when you know its coming in the sim., its easy. Real life, when you're not expecting it, and it's not a "typical" abort item, you have very little runway, and you try again to lift off (granted, not a normal takoff) and it flies, you go -- better option than in the woods.

couple of thoughts,

The pilot was Ben. Flew with him for a long time. Couldn't hold the guys lunch. He is wired tight. Knows his crap and is just a dam good pilot. If you weren't there then let it go.
If you haven't flown into the airport and the conditions in the northeast shut up. I realize when you got all your trianing in FLA the weather and conditions were always great but, in ME it sucks!! Try landing your RJ there sometime.
I still have a 1900 manual makes a great coaster.
V-1 is ther for a reason. Look it up
I gotta mix another drink

In my experience all the saabs and beeches at colgan have a slightly different feel to them. Some are easy on the controls and some are not. They have no hydrolics in the controls. I know many times i went to pull one off the ground and it didn't want to rotate right away. All you gotta do is pull a little more. The pax may have gotten up and moved, or maybe the trim wasn't set just right. These guys had a real problem, but i can totally see why they didn't do an abort.

Latest resources

Back