Colgan Troubles?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mckpickle

I haven't seen this posted however sorry it it is a repost.

Southeast Texas airport patrons grumble about cancelled flights to..

Thursday August 18, 2005 (10:00 PM)

Houston Aug 17, 2005 (The Beaumont Enterprise - Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News via COMTEX) -- Continental Airlines passengers are grumbling about a carrier contracted to fly between Southeast Texas Regional Airport and Houston. The bulk of those complaints centers around the cancellation of flights and overall service by Colgan Air, which operates four of Continental's five daily roundtrip flights from Beaumont, said Jim Rich, Greater Beaumont Chamber of Commerce president. Continental has reduced the number of flights on regional jets, packing passengers on turbo-prop planes operated by Colgan Air, he said. Jefferson County Judge Carl Griffith, Rich and concerned business people will meet with Continental in Houston on Friday to discuss the service and reduction in regional jets, he said. Continental recently switched from SkyWest Airlines to Colgan Air for the short flights to and from Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport. The main airline supplies service on Continental Express regional jets for the first departure and last arrival daily, said Chris Clary, Southeast Texas Regional Airport operations manager. Colgan Air operates the remaining flights. Clary said Continental recently scaled back the number of daily flights to five from seven. Martin DeLeon, a Continental spokesman, said Tuesday that he needed to do more research into the concerns before commenting. Friday's meeting will provide an opportunity to talk with Continental about a connection to Dallas, Rich said. The airline turned down an offer in 2004 when a coalition began searching for a direct flight to Dallas. Instead, Delta Air Lines stepped forward, but the agreement was short-lived. Delta closed its hub at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in January, switching service to Atlanta. That attempt failed to draw enough passengers, and Delta left Southeast Texas completely in July. A group met with American Airlines last week to discuss the possibility of a Dallas connection. The airline asked for more information supporting the need. Rich said a survey to measure that need will be taken of the business traveler -- the base traveler for most airlines -- and how much they are willing to spend on flights. By Angela Macias To see more of The Beaumont Enterprise, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.southeasttexaslive.com. Copyright (c) 2005, The Beaumont Enterprise, Texas

There is no doubt that seeing carriers pull out and riding on a Saab with no APU instead of an RJ is making the residents of East Bumf*ck angry. Get used to it. This is going to be an ever-increasing story, because Jet fuel is expensive and people are cheap.

That being said, I'm sure Colgan's service has been somewhat shoddy in the early stages of their Texas venture.

more troubles

NTSB Identification: NYC05IA128
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of Colgan Air. Inc (D.B.A. US Airways Express)
Incident occurred Tuesday, August 02, 2005 in Rockland, ME
Aircraft: Beech 1900D, registration: N136MJ
Injuries: 9 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On August 2, 2005, at 1709 eastern daylight time, a Beech 1900D, N136MJ, operated by Colgan Air Inc. as flight 4972 (d.b.a. US Airways Express), sustained minor damage during takeoff from Knox County Regional Airport (RKD), Rockland, Maine. The certificated airline transport pilot, certificated commercial pilot, and seven passengers were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight destined to Augusta State Airport (AUG), Augusta, Maine. An instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the air carrier flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 121.

The captain stated that during the takeoff roll, the first officer called "V1 rotate" at 100 knots. The captain pulled the yoke with both hands, and it did not move. The captain then pulled significantly harder, and the yoke moved quickly aft. The airplane "jumped" into the air, but the captain was able to maintain controlled flight. The captain noted that everything was normal except the elevator trim moved slowly nose up, which required an input of 1/2-unit nose down trim every 1 to 2 minutes. The flight landed uneventfully at AUG about 28 minutes after takeoff.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector revealed that several rivets were missing at the right side elevator hinge-point. The elevator was retained for further examination.

NHaviator said:
The flight landed uneventfully at AUG about 28 minutes after takeoff.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector revealed that several rivets were missing at the right side elevator hinge-point. The elevator was retained for further examination.

This is what blows my mind....are these guys that scared of the company that they would continue a flight instead of an air return?

Schedule with Safety....with what I've heard about the MX at Colgan I would think thats the first reason for unionization.

yeah that solves all the problems! Hey last time I checked ALPA screwed all of us with MESA and the low wages for RJ pilots. If you want a union then start one alone outside of ALPA.

Prop2Jet said:
yeah that solves all the problems! Hey last time I checked ALPA screwed all of us with MESA and the low wages for RJ pilots. If you want a union then start one alone outside of ALPA.

I'm talking about the primary reason ALPA was started. Safety. It appears these guys are sorely in need.

BTW Prop2Jet....If you are not part of the solution than your part of the problem!

mckpickle said:
This is what blows my mind....are these guys that scared of the company that they would continue a flight instead of an air return?

Schedule with Safety....with what I've heard about the MX at Colgan I would think thats the first reason for unionization.

I've done air returns, I've refused to fly a/c, written up a/c which results in a grounding and have never been given any grief by managment or even dr for that matter.

WOW..... When are people going to wake up!!!

In the crews defense, If they took of from RKD on 31 (I think) it would be a direct shot to AUG 20 or so miles away. Maybe the captain thought keeping the wings level was more prudent than flying a pattern back to RKD.

Either that or he's based in AUG and didn't want to drive an hour back to base....

Good job!!

Remember... Preflight with BOTH eyes open. The horizontal stab and elevator are hard to get a good look at. Look for black looking crap around the elevator hinge points as well as on the trim actuator mounting areas... If you see black crap, it's a good sign something that needs to be attached is about to not be....

I wonder if Colgan will be around as long as SkyWest was...

Waiting for the next explosion

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
I wonder if Colgan will be around as long as SkyWest was...

To answer the question...NO!!! Look for the Saabs to come up North soon. Chper....looks like The Guardian angels are working OT these days here. Please somebody hire me out of this hell hole. I have a funny feeling something bad is about to happen.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back