• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan shutting down

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont think the Colgan guys can complain much about 9E considering how much they gained in the Bloch award.

Yeah, Colgan made out great. Are you kidding me?? Our airline and aircraft are going away. Nothing against 9E whatsoever, but there are plenty of people (myself included) that had no interest in switching aircraft/bases. Personally, I've been very content flying a nice, new Q400 with a great schedule and QOL; many others happy flying the Saab. Remember that the pilots didn't ask to be bought by anyone in 2007.

I'm just saying that there are many perspectives at Pinnacolaba these days. I don't think anyone is doing "great" these days.

Last edited:
Yeah, Colgan made out great. Are you kidding me?? Our airline and aircraft are going away. Nothing against 9E whatsoever, but there are plenty of people (myself included) that had no interest in switching aircraft/bases. Personally, I've been very content flying a nice, new Q400 with a great schedule and QOL; many others happy flying the Saab. Remember that the pilots didn't ask to be bought by anyone in 2007.

I'm just saying that there are many perspectives at Pinnacolaba these days. I don't think anyone is doing "great" these days.

Ya, I've said that many times coming from Mesaba. It was a great airline, with great history. Now since Pinnacle bought us it's nothing like it used to be. I never wanted to work at Pinnacle, but here I am now. Just trying to make the best of it. Now I wonder if Delta would have done to us what they did to Comair had no one bought us. I guess being at this clow show they call Pinnacle is the lesser of two evils

Ya, I've said that many times coming from Mesaba. It was a great airline, with great history. Now since Pinnacle bought us it's nothing like it used to be. I never wanted to work at Pinnacle, but here I am now. Just trying to make the best of it. Now I wonder if Delta would have done to us what they did to Comair had no one bought us. I guess being at this clow show they call Pinnacle is the lesser of two evils

It's refreshing to see someone get it- we're in it together. No one's 'winning' at the moment. An entire certificate is going away, whole fleets of planes are disappearing, we're left with a bunch of -200s that Delta wants no part of in the future, our airline stopped negotiating temporarily to basically devise a new business plan....These are like... major things... And someone is hung up on the dude hired at Colgan in 2007. Please have some perspective.

So are you one of those guys who didn't want Colgan to be bought by Pinnacle? You also want to be flying the Q400. If you didn't get bought, you wouldn't have to those Q400 to fly. I don't get it, some guys don't want to be bought but they have no problem bidding the new Q400 and are now mad because they are going away.

The family of 46 passengers cares...........

Actually there were 50 people that were killed. I believe you might have forgotten that the crew also had families who has had their lives changed forever.

The family of a guy living in a house in Clarence, NY cares..........

Your employer, a sad excuse of an airline has disappeared just as quickly as it grew exponentially with no oversight. And now, there are many family members of victims who may not get the appropriate compensation for their losses.

I don't think that someone that flew for an equally crappy airline like 9e should be throwing rocks. No oversight? So, if that is the case I believe you should have been on the FAA safety hotline if you knew all along that their was no oversight.
Passenger's families are entitled to what is provided for under the terms of carriage on the airline. Pursuing anything outside the scope of that is going to fail. I am not callous, but the reality is by setting a new legal standard it will drive the airline either out of business or make flying prohibitively expensive.
In the realm of airline accidents, corporate malfeasance and government oversight this wasn't a unique accident. It was, however, handled in a unique fashion by the press and congress and the resultant airline safety improvement act is likely NOT to increase safety.

And you have the gall to say "who cares"?!?!

And, your response about "having the gall". A good friend of mine was on that airplane and I can SAY ANYTHING I WANT...So, again WHO CARES if CJC is parking ALL THE F'ing Qs...OK??? So, go back to your pathetic little bottom-feeding LCC and mind your flippin' business...

And, your response about "having the gall". A good friend of mine was on that airplane and I can SAY ANYTHING I WANT...So, again WHO CARES if CJC is parking ALL THE F'ing Qs...OK??? So, go back to your pathetic little bottom-feeding LCC and mind your flippin' business...

I think Flyer, who you quoted, is on your side here

I don't think that someone that flew for an equally crappy airline like 9e should be throwing rocks. No oversight? So, if that is the case I believe you should have been on the FAA safety hotline if you knew all along that their was no oversight.
Passenger's families are entitled to what is provided for under the terms of carriage on the airline. Pursuing anything outside the scope of that is going to fail. I am not callous, but the reality is by setting a new legal standard it will drive the airline either out of business or make flying prohibitively expensive.
In the realm of airline accidents, corporate malfeasance and government oversight this wasn't a unique accident. It was, however, handled in a unique fashion by the press and congress and the resultant airline safety improvement act is likely NOT to increase safety.
I don't mean to throw stones, but I do believe before the buyout, 9L was a lot more shady than 9E. As for the oversight comment, I wasn't talking about 9E, I was referring to 9L. Despite being owned by 9E Corp, it was still the responsibility of 9L for oversight of their training and operations. I agree the new aviation improvement act won't change much for safety. However, there is a very good point brought up, which is what exactly will happen to the Colgan's lawsuits? Yes, the terms are spelled out in an airline's carriage, but if that airline is disappearing and the certificate gone, then what? Will Corp still have to pay out?

I take this as a post of frustration rather than a true attack. Look, I feel bad for everything happening. However, understand that when you write "who cares" and only "who cares", it gives the wrong message and serves as an injustice to those involved in the crash. You have a right to say what you want, but if it really was a friend on board that you lost, wouldn't you want to say positive things rather than 'who cares.'

Cheer up a lil man, something good will turn up soon. Just keep your logbooks updated and keep applying. Good luck.

Last edited:
So are you one of those guys who didn't want Colgan to be bought by Pinnacle? You also want to be flying the Q400. If you didn't get bought, you wouldn't have to those Q400 to fly. I don't get it, some guys don't want to be bought but they have no problem bidding the new Q400 and are now mad because they are going away.

You're not worth another breath or word on this subject. I said earlier that there are "many perspectives" at Pinnacolaba- that's the truth- deal with it. I can't speak for you, and you can't speak for me. Feel wronged in this whole mess? Find Phil Trenary on the golf course or aboard his yacht, call Richard I. Bloch himself, or talk to your merger committee chairman, or local rep. Pilots from one of the other carriers (9L or XJ) are not your problem, but by all means keep thinking that.

Take Flyer's advice, and cheer up and keep the logbook updated.. Like we're all doing.

Last edited:
I don't mean to throw stones, but I do believe before the buyout, 9L was a lot more shady than 9E. As for the oversight comment, I wasn't talking about 9E, I was referring to 9L. Despite being owned by 9E Corp, it was still the responsibility of 9L for oversight of their training and operations. I agree the new aviation improvement act won't change much for safety. However, there is a very good point brought up, which is what exactly will happen to the Colgan's lawsuits? Yes, the terms are spelled out in an airline's carriage, but if that airline is disappearing and the certificate gone, then what? Will Corp still have to pay out?

I take this as a post of frustration rather than a true attack. Look, I feel bad for everything happening. However, understand that when you write "who cares" and only "who cares", it gives the wrong message and serves as an injustice to those involved in the crash. You have a right to say what you want, but if it really was a friend on board that you lost, wouldn't you want to say positive things rather than 'who cares.'

Cheer up a lil man, something good will turn up soon. Just keep your logbooks
updated and keep applying. Good luck.

We're good man...Sorry. Just tired of getting hit over the head in the post-3407 and J.Z. was a good friend, top-notch pilot, employee and did yeoman's work in getting ALPA established here in CJC. I have 8 years of service and have flown all three airplanes and can say without any hesitation that we have a fine group of pilots poorly led by people placed into middle managers that for the most part threw people under the bus if they felt it would reflect upon them and their future at JB...

Latest resources

Back