• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan overheard in EWR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You must be one of those "wind check" guys. What a silly bit of logic. By the same token you probably shouldn't accept an approach to minimums. What if the visibility goes to 1/4 while you're in the flare!.....oh no!

I have never asked for a windcheck.

Your visibility analogy is a silly bit of logic in itself.

I have never asked for a windcheck.

Your visibility analogy is a silly bit of logic in itself.

I obviously disagree.

Your contention is that one should have an extra cushion when landing in winds close to the airplane's limits for fear of a chance that those limits might be exceeded at the last minute. So, why wouldn't you do the same for an instrument approach?

I would have refused runway 11. Although you are a full 1 knot from the limit now, what if tower calls the winds from 320 with gust to 24 on short final? Are you going to pull out your E6-B in the landing flare to see if you are legal?

Why refuse it if it's within limitations? The only other reason would be personal limitations of skill or comfort which is just as important, but don't blame the airplane if you won't do it and it will.

Prohibiting the use of reverse thrust would be like prohibiting the use of ailerons in flight. Or prohibiting the use of the landing gear.

Maybe, someone is thinking about the use of reverse thrust inflight being prohibited.

Amen.

Prohibiting the use of reverse thrust would be like prohibiting the use of ailerons in flight. Or prohibiting the use of the landing gear.

American Eagle prohibits the use of reverse (idle) on the erj on any dry runway over 7000 feet. Some TSA jets don't even have reversers.

American Eagle prohibits the use of reverse (idle) on the erj on any dry runway over 7000 feet. Some TSA jets don't even have reversers.

If you got 'em, use 'em. I can understand a company not wanting you to spool when you've got carbon brakes, but not popping them just doesn't make sense. Eagle's policy will be just fine until one of their jets ends up off the end of a runway. The Feds will want to know why that policy is there.

Nothing against Eagle guys, just something against a stupid corporate policy that takes safety down a notch.

They don't want the mx costs associated with maintaining the reversers. My roommate busted his type ride for opening the buckets because he (violated a limitation) yes, it's in the limitations.

To prevent people from going off the end of the runway they now require a ref + call at 500 feet instead of an app + - call to "remind" you to slow to cross the threshold at ref. Add in a little wind correction and turbulence and you get "500 ref + 20 sink 700" people think they are 20 knots fast (when they are on speed for the condtions) and go to idle and damn near fall out of the sky. This is what happens when you have guys who have never flown a jet teaching and making the procedures on a jet.

For the lawyers there is a section that says reverse may be used if the PIC determines it is necessary or something like that.

Latest resources

Back