• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan overheard in EWR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He knew it and was taught it but, it was his 4th training event in one year due to displacements and he had just come off the CRJ where you use them on every landing. Also, in training you use them on 95% of the landings because you are either single engine, on a wet/contaminated runway, or on a short runway, so there was a big negative transfer of learning.

Ahhh damn that sucks. I can see that. Unfortunate.

Four pages about a tailwind landing?

Mesa sucks.

You must be one of those "wind check" guys. What a silly bit of logic. By the same token you probably shouldn't accept an approach to minimums. What if the visibility goes to 1/4 while you're in the flare!.....oh no!

seriously...ever try looking out the window and see where the nose of the plane is pointing?

would ya please pull ya diks out of colgan's buut... to the tool that started this thread, you're gonna F'up big one day..get ready tool to fill out that report.

My question for those who don't see my logic... Would you land with a 20 knot tailwind with an FAA inspector in the jumpseat? It is legal yes, and it can also be safely done. But are you going to then calculate the tailwind compenent every time tower gives the winds to make sure it is not 21? Wouldn't it be easier to land on runway 4/22 and not worry about the tailwind component?

For those of you who would land with a 20 knot tailwind with an FAA inspector in the airplane... Why would you choose the runway that is 1 knot away from a possible certificate violation?

Yes, every time. What's simpler, one operation on a calculator or a full fledged go-around + resequence + rebrief for another runway. An inspector would laugh at you, then ask "what the hell was that all about?" during the debrief. My operation keeps crosswind component charts handy at all times, it's a no brainer. It also easy to determine the maximum wind value from a given direction, and then you know within your limitations until the wind exceeds that.

Saturday I heard a Mesaba 900 crew calling their dispatcher on Airinc because they couldn't do the math on a quartering tailwind component. My FO and I laughed all the way across Colorado.

Is that 20kts the steady state winds or does it include the gusts?

Wouldn't you want to take the more conservative (read: safe) side and use the gust factor?

Yes, every time. What's simpler, one operation on a calculator or a full fledged go-around + resequence + rebrief for another runway. An inspector would laugh at you, then ask "what the hell was that all about?" during the debrief. My operation keeps crosswind component charts handy at all times, it's a no brainer. It also easy to determine the maximum wind value from a given direction, and then you know within your limitations until the wind exceeds that.

Saturday I heard a Mesaba 900 crew calling their dispatcher on Airinc because they couldn't do the math on a quartering tailwind component. My FO and I laughed all the way across Colorado.

don't you mean the nine

i guess that defines utilizing all available resources

I would have refused runway 11. Although you are a full 1 knot from the limit now, what if tower calls the winds from 320 with gust to 24 on short final? Are you going to pull out your E6-B in the landing flare to see if you are legal?

If you have a tire fall off on landing (hey, it could happen right?) the FAA might just take a close look at the flight in question. They might just decide to violate you for landing with a 21 knot tailwind.

...Saturday I heard a Mesaba 900 crew calling their dispatcher on Airinc because they couldn't do the math on a quartering tailwind component. My FO and I laughed all the way across Colorado.

There's that classic "cover my ass" (said with nasal Fran Drescher-like voice) airline pilot mentality we've all come to know and love. These are the same guys who wil take what should be a short nap of a recurrent class and turn it into a 4 hour discussion on the "what-ifs" of hazmat and personal oxygen...:uzi:

Latest resources

Back