Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kaman said:
Hello,
I think that no matter what you fly there is always going to be a certain amount of rivalry.

What rivalry? You Southern Beech boys got a long way to go before you can compete with us Northeastern warriors ...

I know what you mean tho bro .... I've passed on a couple of RJ "opportunities" ... What's up with your lines down south, they're all getting shrunk like those heads in the Amazon ?

Yeah Man...
I heard that SHD was going to 2 lines per seat, and they are only blocking about 35-40 hours per month doing the SHD-IAD run. Wouldn't want to do that all summer crossing the Blue Ridge everyday getting your filling knocked out. Worst turbulence I've ever had was up near Luray...Emptied the seat pockets, knocked my headset off and my hands came off the yoke!
I've not heard anything about Columbus yet officially, but I've heard that we'll be dropping it and getting another IAD turn about the same time of day. All and all pretty good schedules in the "deep south".

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

"Hey, is that a bunch of turkeys crossing the runway?"

Hello,
Yes, Bluefield W.V. We were landing there last week and on short-final we saw about a half-dozen or so crossing the runway just past the numbers. Landed over them, but they hardly even flinched. They are pretty used to us, but they have an annoying habit of congregating close to the runway. Beckely is about the same...Deer, Fox, Skunks, Coyote...Seen them all here and there the past 8 months I've been based there. Bluefield is unique in it's own way, but after awhile you adjust to the crappy turn-on the LOC by Indy center, Lighting systems that sometimes work and sometimes don't, Sketchy at best braking action reports, No Approach lights and you get quite proficent at missed approaches and holding...Actually, I like it! But I used to jump out of perfectly good helicopters into the middle of the ocean too, so I wouldn't go by what I say :)

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

Last edited:
I finally saw the Saab with the old Colgan livery today at Dulles. I was told to give way to the saab, and I responed that I would give way to Captain America. Within minutes, the ground controller would only call it Captain America. Sorry Chper, Super Dave was too archane.

There are several things I miss about Colgan. Mostly, its the people. I loved being based in BHB. I just hated the commute from MCO every week. Also, I'm proud to say that I carried more ice than people in two winters up there. That said, I will never look back. I like my FMS and auto pilot too.

chperplt said:
Come on Shy... You've obviously never been to PQI. Sure, the winter is harsh and the nights are long... BUT. What other base can you go to where the station has a cook out almost daily? You come back from your trip and find burgers, hot dogs, chips, salads... Where else can you go in the Colgan system where you ONLY do 2 roundtrips daily?? Where else can you go and stay at a hotel with maid service (usually) for under 200 bucks a month. Where else can you go where the hotel resteraunt gives you a 50% discount?

I had more fun in PQI than I had anywhere else... and I was at MANY bases.
This place you speak of... tell me more. I have never heard such things from the know-nothings online. I guess the storytellers of Colgan assumed that it was a black-hole where pilots go and never return. On April 1, a faxed sheet with assignment bases turned up in class, pitting several folks in class in PQI. One threatened to quit, and one who got Hyannis (a cool and quiet F-16/Herc pilot who sat against the wall in the back) who expected to commute from SFO exclaimed, "HOW THE F--- AM I SUPPOSED TO GET TO HYANNNIS!?"

Seriously, I am pleased to hear about PQI, although I wish I might have known it sooner. I could have used that getaway about a year ago when I just needed to escape from my crumbling world. Perhaps I'll get an opportunity to get out there once. I'm still pulling for the summer assignment in Hyannis.

Shy

I'm still pulling for the summer assignment in Hyannis.

Hyannis in the summer is a blast as well! Enjoy the pizza/beer specials at Scotty's Pizza across the street from the Radisson. If you like Sushi, there is a great Sushi place on Main St. Monday's are generally 1/2 price Sushi nights. Lots of great fun in HYA during the summer!

If you ever get to PQI, tell them the Las Vegas boy says hello!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back