• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F/O

Smells like....
Apparently it is the following procedure:

1) do not add power.
2) pull on the stick pusher as it is trying to push forward.
3) retract flaps.
4) retract gear.

Yes, I feel these guys are being pretty badly hammered in the media. But someone please help me to understand this...

They just released the transcripts from the FDR.

Looks like they had a couple of real winner pilots on that flight.

The copilot was saying, on the recorder, ((paraphrasing)) "I've never seen ice before, I've never had to deice before, I never want to see ice like this, I never want to make a deicing decision like this, I would be afraid we were going to crash."

The captain failed 3 flight checks before this flight, in recent months.

When will airlines stop hiring women just because they are "women" and cannot truly do the job. And when will they stop keeping crap pilots on the line just becuase the scumbag unions will cause trouble. You fail a flight check, you get one more shot....if you fail again....you're ass is fired for good. Peoples lives are on the line, its not a friggin joke. The airlines have some of the worst pilots in the world, why??? Because of the scumbag unions. Wonderful!!!!!!!!!

What a pathetic industry the airlines are. Its laughable.

You are wrong Fly91. She was saying what she was thinking on her first day of groundschool at Colgan. Had you read the CVR rather than just posting what the media thinks it says, you would know that.

The airlines have some of the worst pilots in the world, why??? Because of the scumbag unions. Wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Too bad Colgan wasn't a union airline at the time of this crash or in all of the checkride busts.

Way to make an appropriately backed up statement. ;)

Colgan FO:

22:16:26.6
HOT-2
uhhh.

The stick shaker started about a second later. You think she saw something?

Colgan FO:

22:16:26.6
HOT-2
uhhh.

The stick shaker started about a second later. You think she saw something?

Sure do. But maybe her mind was still spinning over the past 57 minutes of non-stop conversation. There was literally not 1 minute of silence in the cockpit the whole way to BUF.

Sure do. But maybe her mind was still spinning over the past 57 minutes of non-stop conversation. There was literally not 1 minute of silence in the cockpit the whole way to BUF.

I've been in those kind of cockpits. Makes the day go quicker, but can cause problems.

If you look at the transcripts, you'll also notice a 26 second period from "22:15:59.5 CAM [sound similar to decrease in engine power] " to the beginning of the stick shaker.

Does Colgan set a speed bug anywhere for what speed you intend to fly? Or is it just set a Vref+ when it's briefed?

Really a breakdown in CRM. Non-essential chatting has its place on every flight, but this wasn't a spring-time flight in VMC conditions. A little more vigilance should have been paid to the changing conditions, especially after noticing a significant buildup of ice on the aircraft.

Latest resources

Back