• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Airlines stall recovery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious does the Q400 have a trend vector on the air speed tape?

Thanks for the link. Does the real q400 has glass pfd like the one shown in the video? How about autothrottle? AOA indicator?

Everytime I watch one of these, it just reminds me that we're all vulnerable at one point of our career...

Yes on the PFD, the Q400 has 5 flat screen display CA/FO-PFD, MFD and 1 ED (engine dispaly). No autothrottle, but FADEC, no AOA.

Everybody here is missing the real point. DONT STALL!!! Its really not that hard. Stall recovery profiles should NEVER be used on the line because you should NEVER unintentionally stall an aircraft...

Everybody here is missing the real point. DONT STALL!!! Its really not that hard. Stall recovery profiles should NEVER be used on the line because you should NEVER unintentionally stall an aircraft...

Agreed!!

It's not like it was a beautiful CAVU spring day where they both could have been distracted by something out the window. In icing conditions you would be glancing out the window at the leading edges from time to time, but other than that wouldn't you be mostly staring at the PFD right in front of your face? The one with the amber and red vertical tape thingy showing the airspeed dropping through the floor at an alarming rate?

Colgan FO:

22:16:26.6
HOT-2
uhhh.

The stick shaker started about a second later. You think she saw something?

I think she may have notice something wasn't right even earlier at 16.07. On the actual tape, she definitely sounded distressed when she was handed over to the tower.

If it is even a possibility an airplane can stall, then at some point, there will be a stall. Inadvertant, of course, but you are in NO position to judge the other person. There can be a multitude of reasons. OBVIOUSLY IT WAS UN-INTENTIONAL. No one wakes up and says, yup, I'm gonna stall and crash this plane today! It was an un-desired state the aircraft ended up in, and then a botched recovery due largely to a POOR training program. Add to this LONG TIRING SCHEDULES, tiredness from a long day, fatigue, and you get a recipe in which an UN-DESIRED state can occurn in an aircraft (re: stall).

There is no single cause for an accident, but a bunch of links coming together to form the chain.

Latest resources

Back