• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Airlines stall recovery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like how some of you guys are asking for sympathy for the late flight crew. Seriously? She didn't have a clue as to what she was doing up there, and he actions proved it. She was just along for the ride until her "very very very good connections at Alaska" got her hired.
Some say his "A-Game" wasn't on.....doesn't sound like he had an "A-Game" with 5 failures.
These two messed up and messed up big. Too bad they had to take the innocent with them.

Never been told that and never taught it like that.

I fly for a fractional on a Hawker and we have the same kind of profiles. Recovery with minimal altitude loss. And yes Ive been in the sim and the instructor is going " thats it, just hold it, hold it" all the time the shaker is just screaming at you.

So we stay in the stall region longer because the FAA wants minimal altitude loss.

Looks to me we should be teaching quicker stall recovery over altitude loss.

I think I remember being taught that way once way back in primary.

I fly for a fractional on a Hawker and we have the same kind of profiles. Recovery with minimal altitude loss. And yes Ive been in the sim and the instructor is going " thats it, just hold it, hold it" all the time the shaker is just screaming at you.

So we stay in the stall region longer because the FAA wants minimal altitude loss.

Looks to me we should be teaching quicker stall recovery over altitude loss.

I think I remember being taught that way once way back in primary.

yep, that is a training and testing maneuver.

Real life takes: situational awareness, talent and experience to avoid and recover from a stall.

30West and Fyer, you guys shock and anger me. Who the ******************** are you to tell me and all of the other guys who agree with me that I am unprofessional for seeing exactly what happened, and yes...calling him out?! This guy who called himself a pilot deserves to be criticized in public in the strongest possible way for what he did to those 48 unsuspecting people who had to ride the ship down with him after he leveled the airplane and forgot to add power until it was too late. In 24 years of flying and 18 years with my airline, I have never, I'll say it again, NEVER seen anybody do that. He made a hugely UNPROFESSIONAL error that cost 48 people their lives and destroyed as many families, including his own and his first officer's. This guy deserves no sympathy. None. If he'd simply killed himself, that would be one thing, but through his glaring ineptitude, he killed himself and 49 other people.

Ask the families he destroyed if they feel we should somehow not be so harsh on him!

And if I were to kill a bunch of passengers through my ineptitude, hell yes I'd deserve to be damned. I would have earned it. Hell yes.

You have some ********************ing nerve defending this guy on any level and then getting on my ******************** and and calling me unprofessional. You don't know me. I'll just call you unprofessional for having the gall and audacity to defend this guy on any level.

I don't know why I ever come back to this board!

Well, why don't you go back and reread my post and see if you can comprehend it this time. Where in any of it did I write that they didn't ******************** up? Nobody is arguing that point :confused:
The point is ANY one of us could make a stupid mistake at ANY time. What good does coming onto a public forum and dragging dead people through the mud do? In what way is that productive?
"judge not lest ye be judged". Sound familiar?
Actually you stay. Since this place is obviously top heavy with holier than thou judgemental ****************************************, it's perfect for you. I think I'LL go.

Last edited:
But in the case of a tail plane stall, the problem is excess airspeed requiring the tail to be at an angle of attack creating the stall. If the aircraft is slowed, the stall goes away....but that wasn't the problem here.
Wha?

Care to revisit your explanation?

The problem isn't excess speed. Speed is a contributory factor, but minor. Tailplane stalls are unheard of in normal airspeed regimes UNLESS there is ice accumulation and a high TAIL angle of attack (adding flaps lowers the nose and INCREASES the AOA on the tail), and only secondarily causal from speed.

The most important indication of a tailplane stall is that the airspeed is not anywhere NEAR stall (easy to see on most modern aircraft) and that you JUST made a flap setting change, SOMETIMES but not always on the high-end of the speed range for that flap setting, and the aircraft pitches suddenly down, or starts pitch oscillating and then pitches down.

Powering back will help somewhat, but the most important factor is to take the flaps back out (something she may or may not have been thinking about, we'll never know), but ONLY if you KNOW you have the speed margin to do it and you KNOW it's not a wing stall.

I submit she didn't have time to think about it one way or another and he was too busy trying to get them out of the mess he induced that he probably didn't have time to think about it, either. 26 seconds isn't a long time...

Yeah, he got them into it by dropping the gear and throwing the props full forward without increasing power and failing to monitor his airspeed. That's pretty evident. Why he did it, and why she yanked the flaps up... only God knows now.

I just hope that the changes that are made actually DO increase safety and help prevent future accidents. Higher time requirements to be a Part 121 pilot will certainly help, as will better rest requirements, but at the end of the day, someone failed to conduct a proper background check on the CA. Additionally, whether it was for financial reasons or not, they both chose not to commute in the night before, get a full night's rest, THEN fly their sequence rested and prepared for a full day. She also chose to fly when congested. No amount of regulatory change is going to address those basic issues.

You can't tell people where they have to live and how far in advance they have to be in base before their trip, and I will bet you a c-note that won't even make it onto a list of possible reg changes. The airlines are already required to do PRIA checks, the days of not double-checking those are GONE, and people have to be willing to call in sick when they're sick. Were those causal? More than likely not... but they're likely contributory, as is the training culture at both companies.

Incidentally, I've been through 5 jet types, 4 airlines, and more 135 rides than I can count, and ALL of them stress NO MORE than 100 feet loss of altitude on any "approach to stall" demo (shaker onset). Pinnacle included. Reduce back pressure SLIGHTLY while adding full power. Ride the shaker out. Do not reconfigure until clear of shaker and accelerating through minimum speed for each new configuration.

Latest resources

Back