Colgan Air crew experience.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skiandsurf

I was reading though other threads and trying to find the crews experience. The times that are out are obviously wrong. I was wondering if anyone here can comment on the crews experience and flight time (NO BASHING, just the facts).

I ask this because in the threads, there is reference to the ACA J41 crash at CMH in Jan 1994. I knew that crew (heck it was my flight, that I called in sick for). The ACA crew....Capt was a first time PIC on a new plane. He had been with the company for a couple of yrs flying the J32 as an FO, and only had about 50 hrs in the J41 as PIC. The FO was a new hire...I think it was his first trip out of IOE (green on green). Trying to think of the mins back then to get hired was probably 2000TT.

Do you guys have any info like this on the Colgan crew.

CA Marvin Renslow, with Colgan since Sept. 2005 (3379 hrs ) **Pilot Flying**

FO Rebecca Shaw, with Colgan since Jan. 2008 (2,244 hrs) **Pilot Monitoring**

FA Matilda Quintero, with Colgan since May 2008

FA Donna Prisco, with Colgan since May 2008

CA Joseph Zuffoletto, with Colgan since Sept. 2005 (deadhead

Not sure how many hours they each had in the mighty Dash 8-400, couldn't find that info.....I'm still waiting for some Colgan guys to chime in and give us some insight. I'm tired of all the guessing going on.

Last edited:
CA Marvin Renslow, with Colgan since Sept. 2005 (3379 hrs ) **Pilot Flying**

FO Rebecca Shaw, with Colgan since Jan. 2008 (2,244 hrs) **Pilot Monitoring**

FA Matilda Quintero, with Colgan since May 2008

FA Donna Prisco, with Colgan since May 2008

CA Joseph Zuffoletto, with Colgan since Sept. 2005 (deadhead

Not sure how many hours they each had in the mighty Dash 8-400, couldn't find that info.....I'm still waiting for some Colgan guys to chime in and give us some insight. I'm tired of all the guessing going on.

From the FAA web site it looks like that the Captain was typed on 11/18/2008 and the FO 03/16/2008. The FO lived in WA so she may have flown the Dash at Horizon.

Off the topic, Im wondering how long the duty day of the crew was with the delay out of EWR. I hope the public will realize how many hours we work. Fatigue is almost always an issue.

Wondering weither crew experience or crew fatigue played a part in the accident assumes a bias that the crew either did something wrong, or could have done something better. This has not been proven. Until the NTSB report comes out, we cannot guess that somehow the crew was at fault, and a more experienced or better rested crew would have reacted differently.

From the FAA web site it looks like that the Captain was typed on 11/18/2008 and the FO 03/16/2008. The FO lived in WA so she may have flown the Dash at Horizon.

The Dash 8 is a fairly easy plane to fly, I flew the Das8-100, have about 2700 hrs in the thing....with regards to this airplane, I think its more relevant the crew's experience with winter conditions, not the airplane..

NTSB now saying they wondering why the autopilot was flying if they knew they were in a severe icing situation.

Off the topic, Im wondering how long the duty day of the crew was with the delay out of EWR. I hope the public will realize how many hours we work. Fatigue is almost always an issue.

I second this opinion. Fatigue or "I want to get there and go to the hotel after a long day" could cause even an experienced crew to screw up. I have seen this before in very experienced guys. The captain and FO might have flown in icing conditions before and thought they were not accumulating a lot of ice to divert. More than knowing the flight time the crew had (and the public speculate with Capt. Sully’s experience), I would like to know how many legs this crew flew that day, at what time they started the day, how much rest they’ve got from the day before, how much time they had between flights to grab something to eat.

What will it take for the FAA to change the rest time to a necessary 8 hrs. “in bed”, or how many more lives?

Latest resources

Back