• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air crew experience.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They had every right to be in those seats. They went through the training that is designed to weed the weak and award the capable.

My nephew got hired by American Eagle this past summer with 600 TT, they put him in the right seat of the companies 70 seater...Do the math, it is what it is.

Colgan has a competitive training program, they wouldn't have put two people in a modern turboprop that were a risk to the operation.

You are missing original posters meaning. Rigorous training programs are great but don't replace experience. In this case how many winter have these guys flown thru, how much time in a TP of any kind.

How was he not following Company SOP's? There wasn't any report of Severe Icing in the area.

Ok. What would you do if your a/c encountered severe icing? Usually, MPE, it hits you hard enough to let you know something is not right.

Being a new pilot with 300 TT and eager to learn is great. Nobody want's a cocky 300 hr new pilot, but the fact is experience will definitely win out over a new pilot eager to learn.

Here is a link the the ACA J41 at CMH.

Similarities...

Both crashed on approach in icing conditions.
Both had captains with low time in type.
Both had the AP on.

This ACA crew got a stall warning and ...

CA said, "what did you do".
FO said, "I didnt do nothing".

No recovery or movement of throttles.

Then another stall warning and the CA only increased the throttles up to half power....not max power and recover.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001206X00616&key=1

Anyone can be trained to pass a checkride. Training can sometimes weed out the weak? Sure, but there are many that fall threw the cracks.

Training and Line flying are different, and if you don't think so you're fooling yourself.

I'm pretty sure they have to pass IOE at Colgan.

It'll be interesting to see what will all come out of this. After three winters freight dogging in piston twins and turboprops you learn a lot, there's something to be said of experience in these matters.

At the same time though, pinning the blame on the crew as simply a lack of experience to me is an empty shell as well. There's been plenty of greater accidents caused by much more experienced crews, making more rudimentary mistakes.

Again, our culture fails us by trying to asses blame, instead of addressing systemic deficiencies.

Latest resources

Back