• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 NTSB Animation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You backseat drivers sure are quick to judge when you weren't there. Why don't you wait until you crucify the crew and throw them under the rug? How about we fight for things like industry-wide sweep changes of stall recovery training, requiring stall training with pusher, and addressing fatigue and rest issues?

With the animation and tapes from the data recorder and voice recorder, it was like WE WERE THERE you dork.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I would think the training issue is that in a very short time period you had 2 crews stall and airplane! Something is getting missed here is this keeps happening!

They did not stall the airplane in BTV, they received a stick shaker as did 3407, difference is the reaction when the stick shaker occured. I posted on another thread but here it is:

A factor not discussed is the stupid "Increase ref speed switch." When in icing conditions and turned on it raises the low speed que about 20 knots hence the necessity for getting the corrected ref speeds for Icing conditions, or just remembering to bump up your ref speed +15/+20 depending on flap setting. When the shaker initially occured it was a system manufactured event due to this little switch being moved to the on position. The stall was a result of the sudden pitch up. When the shaker occured there was still plenty of flying speed.

Q400 stall recover <flap 15>
1st indication (shaker):
-Lower AOA/nose (And acceptable altitude loss ie.
200' is allowable in the sim)
-Positive rate (a/s increase):
gear up
-Vfri (flap retraction speed)
flaps up
If flap 35 stall, prior to Vfri flaps are retracted to
15 and then no movement prior to Vfri.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not commenting on actions of the crew because I lost a friend and it would not be appropriate, I'm just giving facts about the Q400

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
Nobody was minding the store...and for that the ultimate price was paid. Instead of trying to play CSI NTSB...learn from it and dont be the next victim.........

One thing I've noticed. Look at the animation at 22:16:27.

CA asked for "flaps 15, landing check." Flaps only made it to 10. At that time, speed hit 130KIAS, stick shaker activated simultaneously with an "uhhh" from the FO.

When she retracted the flaps (unrequested), at 16:36, the speed was 96 KIAS and the pusher was on. Additionally, the aircraft was in a right bank of about 100 degrees. Even though it was unrequested, the retraction was immaterial at this point.

Look at the CA's control inputs. Feet going all over, overcontrolling, the aircraft climbed 200' in the stall. He never "let" the nose go below the horizon. By the time it did, the stall was so aggravated, it was too late to recover.

With the animation and tapes from the data recorder and voice recorder, it was like WE WERE THERE you dork.

Bye Bye--General Lee

FLYER1015 is trying to blame shift in any and every direction he can. He is not puting blame where it truly lies. The PIC/Captain commanding that aircraft. Yes it is a 2 crew airplane, but he was in control and is PILOT IN COMMAND. He was too busy chatting and not focusing enough during that critical phase of flight. Especially with the accumulating ice. We have the animation and the CVR tapes. The truth is before our eyes. Stop blame shifing. Put the blame where it lies. Innatention caused the initial chain of events. Airplanes won't fly without airspeed. The PIC never pushed the power lever back up. Inexperience and lack of attention was a MAJOR factor contributing to the cause of this preventable accident.

I think this is the reason people need to flight instruct instead of skip steps and going to the GIAs of the world. I have no idea how many stalls I did while CFIing but enough to know not to pull back on the stick/yoke approaching a stall.

Some people are not cut out to do this job and will accept substandard wages just so than can be a pilot, thats why I'm getting out of this industry. Rant Over.

a question to any of ya'll who have flown both the saab and q400. is the center of thrust the same for both planes?? i ask this b/c a friend of mine has spent the last two years training MD-80 pilots to the 737 and has lost alot of hair trying to get them to not pull up too hard on a stall or even a go around. the center of thrust on the 80, like an RJ is above the CG pitching the plane down when max power is applied, and the 737 is below and you almost have to push down on the nose during a stall/go around b/c the nose will pitch up quite dramatically.

the cptn had 100 hrs in the Q, right?? maybe he was going back to old (but appropriate) habits from flying the Saab by expecting the plane to pitch down when full power was applied, thus making the stall much worse.

hate to say it, but what the F was the FO doing raising the flaps during the roll???

Mookie

Yo Mookie,

Remember that tail stall stuff we learned years ago for the Brasilia? If you encountered a stall condition after changing configuration you were supposed to return to the previous configuration. The addition of flaps tended to blank out the tail. Traditional stall recovery techniques would only serve to increase the stalled condition. I'm not saying this is the case here. Airmanship and attention to speed seems to be a big factor. The "cable box" we had on the Brasilia could have alerted the crew earlier of the decaying airspeed. The "cable box" sat on the glareshield and its sole purpose was to alert the crew, via an annoying tone, that your airspeed had gone below 170kt...I think...while in icing conditions.

Latest resources

Back