• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 NTSB Animation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the animation and tapes from the data recorder and voice recorder, it was like WE WERE THERE you dork.

Bye Bye--General Lee
No you were not there, plain and simple. And nor has the NTSB released its final report. So why don't you go back to the majors thread and chill until they do.

FLYER1015 is trying to blame shift in any and every direction he can. He is not puting blame where it truly lies. The PIC/Captain commanding that aircraft. Yes it is a 2 crew airplane, but he was in control and is PILOT IN COMMAND. He was too busy chatting and not focusing enough during that critical phase of flight. Especially with the accumulating ice. We have the animation and the CVR tapes. The truth is before our eyes. Stop blame shifing. Put the blame where it lies. Innatention caused the initial chain of events. Airplanes won't fly without airspeed. The PIC never pushed the power lever back up. Inexperience and lack of attention was a MAJOR factor contributing to the cause of this preventable accident.

Well thank god you don't work for the NTSB. Even the NTSB has not released its final report. These are just public hearings, and the final report will come out much later. You, being an emo idiot, don't question the "why" of the overall picture. You said "inexperience" and "lack of attention." Inexperience? Maybe, but then again, how much time did YOU have when you were hired at the Airlink? ANd for "lack of attention"..... WHAT WERE THE CAUSES??? That is what the NTSB will investigate!

How about:
1. Grueling scheduling practices at Colgan
2. Long, tiring day
3. That lond tiring day exacerbated by commuting in.
4. Tiredness that night due to the long day
5. FATIGUE

These are the main issues! So quit crucifying the crew. I don't blame them, it is far to easy to blame the dead. How about blaming the system that failed on them? How about blaming Colgan's sub-standard training program? How about addressing industry wide fatigue and scheduling/rest issues?

Seven, you're stupid if you can't think the whole situation through, as I just described above.

. Inexperience and lack of attention was a MAJOR factor contributing to the cause of this preventable accident.

I agree with lack of attention but not inexperience. Lack of attention and fatigue were major factors contributing to this crash. And POSSIBLY pilot ability based on 2 failed check rides at the 121 level.

How about:
2. Long, tiring day
5. FATIGUE

These are the main issues! So quit crucifying the crew. I don't blame them, it is far to easy to blame the dead. How about blaming the system that failed on them? How about blaming Colgan's sub-standard training program? How about addressing industry wide fatigue and scheduling/rest issues?

Seven, you're stupid if you can't think the whole situation through, as I just described above.
No mater how tired a pilot, continuing to pull back in a 20kt-deep stall, at 30 degrees pitch up is going to be viewed as substandard airmanship, not fatigue.

Last edited:
Well thank god you don't work for the NTSB. Even the NTSB has not released its final report. These are just public hearings, and the final report will come out much later. You, being an emo idiot, don't question the "why" of the overall picture. You said "inexperience" and "lack of attention." Inexperience? Maybe, but then again, how much time did YOU have when you were hired at the Airlink? ANd for "lack of attention"..... WHAT WERE THE CAUSES??? That is what the NTSB will investigate!

How about:
2. Long, tiring day
5. FATIGUE

Is it just me or are items 2 through 5 the exact same thing? Also everyone that commutes should hope that item 3 gets swept under the rug otherwise there is will be some miserable folks commuting in a day early.

How about:
2. Long, tiring day
5. FATIGUE

Except the captain had 25 hours rest before dutying in that day. Even at 16 hours of duty, you should know that airspeed = good.

The FO was the commuter and like I said before, had she been PF we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I can appreciate your agenda in pushing for better rest regulations, but the fact of the matter is poor airmanship got them into a worse situation. Even a groggy, mediocre pilot should know stall recovery in their sleep.

How about:
2. Long, tiring day
5. FATIGUE

To answer your questions: I flew 135 passenger charter before the regional. I had over 3000 hours and quite a bit of PIC turbine. My qualifications and flight time are NOT the issue here.
I agree with you. Colgan has sub-standard hiring practices and a sub-par training program. They are partially to blame for putting that guy in the left seat of an airplane he had no business being in (multiple failed checkrides, poor performance at previous jobs, etc). Fatigue is obviously a partial factor as well. But, let's not distract ourselves from the primary persons responsible. 1) Captain- he's Pilot in Command and has the ultimate responsibility for the safety of that aircraft. 2) SIC, she should have spoken up sooner. Let's not forget she is a REQUIRED crew member and "checked out" on the aircraft.
Bottom line, I understand there were contributing factors relating to th crash. There always are. But we must put primary blame on the Flight crew for Pilot Error. They made a student pilot mistake. They allowed the aircraft to run out of airspeed and fall out of the sky. When the stall occured, the Captain NEVER lowered the noise/angle of attack. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

....................BTW, why don't you try debated your point of view without name calling. If you can't do that, stay of these forums.

Last edited:
I've heard both came off of days off. What was their duty day like, the day of the crash? I've seen nothing about number of legs, flight time, etc.

It looks like when the left wing dropped (stalled) he held the nose back and increased pressure. With the full right aileron input next this was making a pro spin input while aggravating the stall. I dont think the flaps really did them in...

Latest resources

Back