• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 NTSB Animation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You backseat drivers sure are quick to judge when you weren't there. Why don't you wait until you crucify the crew and throw them under the rug? How about we fight for things like industry-wide sweep changes of stall recovery training, requiring stall training with pusher, and addressing fatigue and rest issues?

Thank you.

That youtube link would not work for me. Here is another link.

http://www.buffalonews.com/static/multimedia/Flight3407/animation.html

I have watched this several times. All I can say is 'Holy crap!' He definitely did not have the airspeed in his scan. He really screwed to pooch on the stall recovery (pull instead of lower/hold and power out). The real 'WTF!' here is the FO raising the flaps on her own in the middle of this mess. I think she put the final nail in the coffin for them.

I would put money on us all trainning to the pusher now.

I agree that the flaps going up at this point probably was the nail in the coffin as well, but I think this goes back to 121 stall training. Sure we just do approaches to stalls not actually stall the plane in 121 training, but the stall recovery profile for my plane is max thrust then flaps to 9 then pos rate (airspeed inc in level flight) gear up then gain more speed and flaps to 0. Even though it seems like this was a bad idea this time it sounds like she more that likely did exactly what she was taught in the sim. (I have no idea what the Q400 stall recovery profile is like just going by what we do in the sim)

On a related side note does anyone know what the stall speed is with flaps 15 compared to flaps 0 on the Q400.

I hope that some changes come out of this, but more than likely nothing will change. One month from now everyone will already forget about this and ATA and RAA and all of those guys will be able to stop any changes that would come from this in the name of cost savings.

They were dead before the FO put the flaps up. Watch the video again they are rolling through 90 degrees with the yoke in the Captains lap when she moves the flaps.
This accident was the result of poor airmanship long before the stall recovery even becomes an issue. In my opinion the FAA should change several issues long before they get to the topic of proper stall recovery. For example a Captain with 5 check ride failures and 100 hours in type paired with a very inexperienced FO should never happen. There needs to be better checks and balances before innocent people have to lose there lives.

...as it should have been.

The fairy tale stall profiles have you set up and enter a stall which sometimes takes a 30-60+ seconds to set up, is unrealistic. Our airline has now done away with stall profiles, and from what I hear, in the sim, we'll get like a turn from base to final with flaps out, spoilers out, while making the turn, in an at-least-somewhat-realistic situation in which you could get a shaker while you look out for the runway. (apparently something similar happened to Colgan at BTV). But they recovered, so it's all good.

This Flight 3407 accident should cause a overhaul of stall profiles.

What happened in BTV I did a search, but couldnt find anything on here about it.

but the stall recovery profile for my plane is max thrust then flaps to 9 then pos rate (airspeed inc in level flight) gear up then gain more speed and flaps to 0.

I have never heard of retracting the flaps during a stall recovery. What kind of plane are you talking about? When you retract the flaps, you effectively increase the wing's angle of attack. This of course is not desirable in a stall recovery. It kinda goes along the same lines as a windshear recovery. Max thrust and don't touch the configuration until you are clear of it.

How about we fight for things like industry-wide sweep changes of stall recovery training, requiring stall training with pusher, and addressing fatigue and rest issues?

No amount of additional training can prevent this type of lousy airmanship and weak piloting skills.

:rolleyes:

The crew in BTV recovered just fine so it doesnt quite seem like a training issue to me.

You can train all you want but you won't know how someone will react in a real emergency until they are...well...in a real emergency.

The crew in BTV recovered just fine so it doesnt quite seem like a training issue to me.

You can train all you want but you won't know how someone will react in a real emergency until they are...well...in a real emergency.

I would think the training issue is that in a very short time period you had 2 crews stall and airplane! Something is getting missed here is this keeps happening!

I have never heard of retracting the flaps during a stall recovery. What kind of plane are you talking about? When you retract the flaps, you effectively increase the wing's angle of attack. This of course is not desirable in a stall recovery. It kinda goes along the same lines as a windshear recovery. Max thrust and don't touch the configuration until you are clear of it.

Its the recovery from a landing stall (gear down flaps 45) in the EMB 145. As soon as you get the shaker you are supposed to goose the engines and call for flaps 9. My guess is that with the high drag of gear down and flaps 45 the aircraft would not be able to accelerate in level flight (as we have to show in the sim) and that flaps 9 provides a better lift to drag ratio and helps you get out of the shaker.

A few years ago they added "high altitude stalls" basically we do a quick stall (to shaker) somewhere in the flight levels and have to recover. The point with that is that the engines don't have the thrust to be able to power you thru the stall so you will have to lower the nose and accept an altitude loss that could be multiple thousands of feet.

We are taught that in windshear we keep the configuation we have until out of the windshear.

Latest resources

Back