• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As someone of a friend who works for the NTSB this is what REALLY happened.....
autopilot was engages, one of the wing's de-icing system was working, the other did not work (due to a mechanical failure that is still under investigation at this moment....). The crew lost control of the aircraft as it spiraled to the ground in a nose dive from loss of lift on one of the wings.
A lift imbalance due to one wing unable to melt the ice off caused this crash!
Godspeed to all!

Please. Go crawl under a rock. Now.

Nope... At least not on the DHC-8-100/300. Bombardier says start the boots at the first sign of ice on the airplane. I have never seen "bridging" in any turboprop I have flown. Occassionally, you will run someone who claims to have seen it, but I think it is sort of like the Loch Ness Monster... It doesn't really exist.

While I never saw any true "bridging" I always liked to wait for a decent amount of ice on the 1900. If you blew the boots too early only small chunks would come off leaving a nasty looking leading edge with lots of big chunks of ice sticking to it. If you let ice build up then big chunks would break off and leave you with a pretty clean leading edge. I also think that waiting for approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice was in the SOP, GOM, or Beech 1900 AFM.

When I flew the J41 it seemed like it did a better job of getting the wing clean with smaller amounts of ice on the leading edge.

I think you may be oversimplifying things a bit there.
Tail stall occurs when the horizontal stabilizer's critical angle of attack (negative angle of attack) is exceeded or there is airflow separation about the horizontal stabilizer due to ice on the leading edge. The horizontal stabilizer (tail) experiences the highest demand for negative lift (tail down force) and the most negative angle of attack when the wing's center of pressure (lift) is furthest aft of the center of gravity. This occurs at higher airpeeds and when the flaps are extended. If you think about it, when you accelerate or when you add flaps you need to push on the yoke, or add more tail down force to keep the nose from rising. This act of pushing is what increases the angle of attack on the tail (in the negative direction if you will) and can lead to a tail stall.

Something doesn't sound right here. My mind is getting a little bent thinking about aerodynamics, but doesn't pushing on the yoke decrease tail down force?

Last edited:
Maybe a name change to flight jock itch is warranted?

when the NTSB releases the investigation results I am going to relink that thread to my original post. You will all see that I am 100% accurate.
Have a nice day! And believe what you want, I KNOW the truth and having nothing to lose by "leaking" it.

when the NTSB releases the investigation results I am going to relink that thread to my original post. You will all see that I am 100% accurate.
Have a nice day! And believe what you want, I KNOW the truth and having nothing to lose by "leaking" it.

Ok now go away its beddy bye time, mom wants to tuck you in, being 10:30 PM CDT time and you are up kinda late for your age

I am the great cornholio I need T.P. for my bunghole.
I hope my bungholio does not get polio.
I come from Lake Titicocka where I never saw any true "bridging" I always liked to wait for a decent amount. If you blew too early only small chunks would come off leaving a nasty looking with lots of big chunks sticking to it. If you let build up then big chunks would break off and leave you with a pretty clean edge. I also think that waiting for approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch of seemed like it did a better job of getting the clean with smaller amounts on the leading edge. I am the great cornholio I need T.P. for my bunghole.
I hope my bungholio does not get polio.
I come from Lake Titicocka.

I agree either lots of toilet paper or a clean break is the only way to go! :laugh:

not picking on you cornholio just saw an opportunity to lighten the mood a little with my strange sense of humor.......

Lighten up "Francis" reading your testosterone laden post is making my sack itch now too.....:eek:

Latest resources

Back