• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was reading an article the other day that NTSB wants us to now cycle the boots immediately instead of waiting for ice to build up.

No offense but that's been the new theory for about a decade. When I was flying a Brasilia that was the procedure. Ice bridging is largely a myth.

On CNN, a Resident and professional photographer who lives in the area where 3407 went down says everyone in the area "always knew" it was "just a matter of time" before there was a crash. He describes his fears: "When darkness appears, the planes have to fly lower and lower, not the noise, but the lights".

Huh?

Gotta turn off the TV

That guy actually sounded pretty good compared to the yahoo they had on a little before him. He was imitating the noises of the engines failing, then said he had no idea it was such a big airplane, he just figured it was "some meathead crashing his Cessna".

My thoughts are with all the families and friends.

No offense but that's been the new theory for about a decade. When I was flying a Brasilia that was the procedure. Ice bridging is largely a myth.

Yes, always cycle the boots, lce bridging is an old myth that took years to do away with. Plus by cycling you get some hot bleed air through the rubber boots, which also assists in removing ice. The props are a different manner however, depending on type of aircraft.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the crew, passengers and their families.

Some on here have decried any speculation but I think after any accident, we all need to sit back and reflect on the possibilities of what went wrong - not to place any blame but to think about how we might prevent a recurrence.

I'm by no means an old-timer, but I've been around long enough to realize this could happen to any one of us. Fly safe out there.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the crew, passengers and their families.

Some on here have decried any speculation but I think after any accident, we all need to sit back and reflect on the possibilities of what went wrong - not to place any blame but to think about how we might prevent a recurrence.

I'm by no means an old-timer, but I've been around long enough to realize this could happen to any one of us. Fly safe out there.

Well put IBNAV8R. Speculation on our part as porfessional pilots is an entirely different matter than speculation on the part of so-called media experts.

Our hearts go out to the families of all involved.

Ignorant Buffoons!!!!!!

CNN just said that the conditions were perfect for carb ice, so that may have been the problem. Great reporting.

CNN and most media reporters are ignorant-buffoons when it comes to aviation!!!!
Condolences to the families of crew/pax.
The SPOTLIGHT will now be on Bombardier/Dehavilland,Colgan Air,which incidentally is not well liked by the crews that fly there,according to their posts on this forum,and the FAA/DOT/NTSB!!
The accident report will probably take a year on this!!

flew with marvin in IAH....Great guy and pilot...........

Knew Marvin as well, he was a friend of mine.....terrible lost, really really sucks, dont know what happaned on this one, he was a great pilot.
Joined Colgan with very low time then worked his way tru..former Gulfstrem Airlines pilot. I also know the other guy Joe Zuffalatto (jumpsitter), aslo a good pilot, former freight dog, this guy was known in class for been a sharp guy in systems. If you had a question about systems, he will know the answer.

God be with them!!

My condolences to all the Colgan people, and to those of you who knew/flew with these crewmembers.

CNN just said that the conditions were perfect for carb ice, so that may have been the problem. Great reporting.

I saw that too, but must have heard it differently than you. They talked about carb ice in general, but emphasized that Colgan was NOT a carbuerated (sp)plane. The graph for where icing could be/was I thought was excellent. Also CNN had John Wiley, very experienced USAF/airline pilot answering questions from the news anchor. So CNN's reporting wasn't that bad.

Hoser
Roll Tide!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back