• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just listened to the ATC tapes. Nothing solid, but her voice seems to change the further into the approach they got.

Damn this sucks...

I listened also, no reports of problems, etc, also they continued the approach, so who knows (not us on here)

planes were getting in and out with no much problem, WX is an issue = ????

god bless.

This is very sad.

They were on approach by the outer marker. CNN has an eye witness saying it was coming nose down, high pitch noise before impact.

The weather being the major suspect right now. The metars had light freezing rain for a moment. I dunno. Very early to say anything... just a very sad night for all who lost a loved one. I am very sorry.

Fox news and MSNBC are saying that witnesses report a loud pop and fire from one of the engines before crashing.
Non-pilot witnesses are worthless. They don't know what "normal" is and what isn't. Most are just making stuff up to be on tv.

Tailwinds, my friends. Godspeed 3407.

Shy

Listening to the tapes most other pilots were reporting 1/4 of ice or so, some more some less. I flew the Dash 8 200 for 7 years and It was by far the best ice airplane I ever flew. I've seen up to two inches of ice on the airframe before. Really an impressive airplane in the ice.

This is very heartbreaking...

autopilot problems, trim problems, altimeter problems? etc etc? stall on final?

etc etc

(admittedly speculating)

SAS quit flying the Q400 because of all the landing gear problems. Not that that's related in any way, but it doesn't instill confidence in this version of the airframe whatsoever.

Listening to the tapes most other pilots were reporting 1/4 of ice or so, some more some less. I flew the Dash 8 200 for 7 years and It was by far the best ice airplane I ever flew. I've seen up to two inches of ice on the airframe before. Really an impressive airplane in the ice.

This is very heartbreaking...

Yes, and on the ATC tapes Delta said all the ice was coming off at 2300' feet.

I seriously doubt this was due to icing.

SAS quit flying the Q400 because of all the landing gear problems. Not that that's related in any way, but it doesn't instill confidence in this version of the airframe whatsoever.

Yea, but they settled with Bombardier and will resume Q400 flying after they got a nice discount on the Q400 Next Generation.

Latest resources

Back