• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CoEx to keep the 69 erj's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a reason XJT purchased a controlling interest in Wing Aviation. Mgmt would like to eventually sell block time for all 69 aircraft in a charter environment. Initially XJT went looked to outside consultants to provide insight on how this could be accomplished, but did not like what they heard from individuals who are very familiar with charter ops/block time sales, etc. So, XJT mgmt has decided they they know more than the people who actually make money from charter sales/logistics (ie. EJM/NJA, Sentient, Marquis Jet).

XJT mgmt believes they can market and be successful in running a charter operation that sells block hours to current G-IV/V customers....mostly because of the large baggage compartment of the Embraer. They can sell time in this airplane to sports teams, that require large baggage...but run it an hourly cost that exceeds comparable airplanes. That's it in a nutshell. Not much more meat to the plan.

You think I am kidding? I couldn't make this up if I tried!

How the hell has uncle hulie and JO been makin money for all this time?

On the backs of their employees - which worked pre 9/11 when you wouldn't expect to be at a regional for more than a few years. Times have changed now and for many the regional level might be the final stop on the career path.

Smart companies like XJT realize they need their employees for the long haul because of less attrition - particularly in a very volitale time in the industry. If the pilots at Mesa and Go Jet had any foresight at all, they would realize that they are making the bed they're going to sleep in.

If treating employees well doesn't matter, then why would most pilots on this board go most anywhere else than Mesa? If you treat you're employees like crap when times are good, you'll survive. But when you really need them, they won't be there. XJT pilots and management for the most part have a good relationship. And because management has kept us informed, didn't ask for pay cuts, etc. our pilots will do the things to make sure that we suceed (fuel savings, maxing revenue, striving to be on-time).

Let's see how XJT looks in a few years. If we're successful, it will have been because the employees and management worked hand-in-hand to make it happen. How would Mesa or TSA perform if they were in XJT's shoes?

Last edited:
Alchemy said:
Yes, we established that on page four. Welcome to last week.

Sorry, could'nt help it, I was at work where some junior dude like yourself was getting my coffee and the gear.:)

propsarebest said:
Not to rock the boat or anything, but what would happen if COEX managment decides to just park the airplanes? ya know, if we can't have them nobody will kinda thing.

This would be fiscally irresponsible to the share holders. It would never happen... Jim is cocky, but he wouldn't do something that stupid. Imagine the cost!

I believe the reason for the early announcement was two fold... #1 CAL is still our partner, and a business run with spite and vengeance, will not be a successful business. I think it was intelligent on the part of XJT to give adequate notice to CAL, reinforcing the fact that we seek a positive relationship with our mainline partner(s). #2, this gives XJT the ability to be more open with other carriers, etc. of our intentions. Several of you have been negative from the start of all of this. Alchemy, it doesn't surprise me that you would make more negative comments on this board... you have never once spoken positively. You are a glass 1/2 empty personality, and if you have so little faith in your company, why don't you leave?

Mgmt has been very up front with us as this whole situation has unfolded. What gives anyone reason to believe they are out to get us? They cannot divulge their plans until the appropriate time. I am sure this is not a conspiracy against us. I think we will all see what we have wanted for sometime... diversity and growth for our company. As far as Europe, Jim discounted that rumor in February. He said it was too expensive and not the right market. Larger a/c in Europe, definitely more plausible. This wil not be an all "charter" operation. I think it was inferred the other night that we will have a new codeshare in addition to some brand flying and some 121 supplemental. Change isn't always comfortable, but sometimes, it can be extremely rewarding. By the way, it didn't hurt us that our company represented itself very well on CNN last week. Well done, crew of 3161, you did us all proud here at XJT. Maybe, just maybe instead of bashing XJT, others could look to XJT as an example of a well run airline. Too often, we look to the top performers and try to break them down to our level. Well, I think we, here at XJT have ridden out this initial change very well. Look at our performance stats... they have actually gotten better.

flyingtoilet said:
On the backs of their employees - which worked pre 9/11 when you wouldn't expect to be at a regional for more than a few years. Times have changed now and for many the regional level might be the final stop on the career path.

Smart companies like XJT realize they need their employees for the long haul because of less attrition - particularly in a very volitale time in the industry. If the pilots at Mesa and Go Jet had any foresight at all, they would realize that they are making the bed they're going to sleep in.

If treating employees well doesn't matter, then why would most pilots on this board go most anywhere else than Mesa? If you treat you're employees like crap when times are good, you'll survive. But when you really need them, they won't be there. XJT pilots and management for the most part have a good relationship. And because management has kept us informed, didn't ask for pay cuts, etc. our pilots will do the things to make sure that we suceed (fuel savings, maxing revenue, striving to be on-time).

Let's see how XJT looks in a few years. If we're successful, it will have been because the employees and management worked hand-in-hand to make it happen. How would Mesa or TSA perform if they were in XJT's shoes?

I see what you are saying. But yet I disagree.

It seems to me that pick any other regional other than XJT. The managment looks foward to attrition. They would rather pay 20 an hour for a new FO than have no attrition and pay 40 an hour for a senior FO.

But my original point was that the comment made stated that a company can only survive if the mgmt has the loyalty of its employees. TSH from what I know of the history has never quite had the loyalty any of my buddies over at XJT enjoy. Many people wouldnt piss on hulie to put out a fire......well maybe they would just miss the fire.

Don't get too confused. Management here counts on attrition as well. That was one argument they made to CAL about why they should take more of our pilots....to lower the unit cost with lower time employees. They did however cost our our current contract with the seniority list as is. If they keep higher time guys fine, and we'll have a great product but they like to see people move on.

This deal is over and done with. CAL is shedding some excess 50 seaters, XJET is paying more for them, and Chaniqua gets nothing. A win win for CAL.

The only thing I have to say is this. XJT would not still be hiring if they were intending to furload at the end of the year due to 69 planes not flying. XJT is here to make money like everyone else, and it would be stupid for them to pay for guys to go threw training and then lay them off. Cause if that happened too me then I would be gone looking for another job as soon as I got my papers, and XJT would be out money.

aerohawk said:
The only thing I have to say is this. XJT would not still be hiring if they were intending to furload at the end of the year due to 69 planes not flying. XJT is here to make money like everyone else, and it would be stupid for them to pay for guys to go threw training and then lay them off. Cause if that happened too me then I would be gone looking for another job as soon as I got my papers, and XJT would be out money.

your thought process in most cases would probably be correct but XJT has a little different situation going on. CAL has given us more flying to do this year than any other year, for instance April we had 80K more block hours in 06 than we did in 05, and we still have a few more planes coming this year. So even though we are loseing some of our flying next year we still have to cover the flying this year as CAL is still our customer. So this is a rare case where a company would have to take a hit on training cost but may never fully recover the investment

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back