COEX losing 69 Aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pianoman said:
Look. Do you understand that right after you show up, someone will undercut you if we don't stop this?

Of course I want better pay for myself and everyone else who flies. But what choice does anyone have. If all regional pilots went out on strike maybe theyd get better wages. I dont see anyone doing anythign about this.

Should I stay away from a regional job until they pay 50K/yr starting?

Amish my man,

I totally understand if you already have ALL your ratings and experience to get a job at a regional and therefore wanting to get one. I, we.. all know what it's like, we've all been there. And I sincerely respect your wishes. But please don't sell yourself short when it comes to income in this business. That is precisely what we are trying to fight against in these trying times. Holding your selfworth when it comes to compensation is one of the few weapons we might still have. Saying I'm OK with this and that isn't gonna cut it when you're at a regional, sitting as a F/O for a million years having to pay bills for you and your family. Unless of course, you're independently wealthy and you really just don't need the money. And if that was the case with me personally, I would just go out and buy my own airplane and fly wherever I dang pleased, whenever I felt like it not when scheduling told me to do so.

My original comment was mostly geared toward the youth that's coming up in this profession at the flight school level. Some may know others may not know about the slaughter that's taking place at airlines now at days with its pilots. Most still think that; 1) they are going to upgrade in less than two years therefore the money will come soon enough, 2) they will be captains for one or two more years and they will move on to a major. I'm sure there are some that this scenerio may have or has played out for them. But we know that this is by no means the norm. The vast majority will probably at some point be; disgruntled, hungry, tired, fatigued, broke, nervous about a commute, nervous about a furlough, and sometimes even lonely since you might not get to spend important days with your family. Small price to pay you say? Yes perhaps, if salaries at the very least, kept going up with inflation and your bosses treated you with the respect you deserve. Otherwise you're left to deal with what we have today; whipsaws, concessions, consessions, consessions, possible furloughs, possible furloughs and furloughs if you don't see it their way. Unfortunately, with no near end in sight it appears.

Last edited:
Amish, EVERYONE in your situation has/had Shiney jet syndrome. I had it too. I would bet 99% of them lost it after 2+ years at a regional.

The "I'll fly for poverty wages for the chance to make $80,000" argument is getting old.

3-10 years ago it looked as if you could make it to that level and maybe a "major"

Not anymore! Kit Darby lied!! Your Mgmt WILL lie to you

You don't get it: there will be no $80,000 wages at the regionals........EVER!! As long as people are willing to sell their soul just to get a job and wear a leather jacket.

By the way:

$18.00/hr = about $15,000/yr
$34.00/hr= about $25,000/yr

Plus, getting paid for 85 hours per month means working 10-14 (sometimes 16) hour days and doing ALOT of sitting in your uniform and NOT getting paid. Never kept track of how many hours I "worked" if you count from the time I dutied in until duty out. Probably shouldn't. It would be around $10.00/hr

Therefore you will clear 13-16K your first year
25-30 your second if you are lucky
After 3-4 years you will upgrade and clear 40-50
Then you WILL be furloughed because somebody will do it for less!!
Repeat above, go to another regional, log onto flightinfo and read about a kid who wants to work at a regional so bad, he will do it for $14.00/hr Let's see what you tell HIM

joe_pilot said:
And oh yeah, 21 days off this month, 86 hrs credit. Didn't use one bit of vacation. I was lucky.

Be Cool.

Me too, but thats FMLA with a rather painful wisdom tooth extraction and only 75 hrs credit.... hey at least I didn't have to commute, so that adds 10 hrs.

007 said:
Me too, but thats FMLA with a rather painful wisdom tooth extraction and only 75 hrs credit.... hey at least I didn't have to commute, so that adds 10 hrs.
Ouch! Never, ever mention 'tooth' and 'extraction' in the same sentence again.

I should clarify. $80,000 for someone starting now won't happen.

How many years in to make 80K and how many people are making that at XJT?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back