• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coast Guard Pilot Demand?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope your post was a joke. Go to coastguardocs.com there are people who get picked up in OCS. And they are not fathers are not Admirals.

cynic said:
I was in exactly the same place about 10 years ago. I drove to a Coast Gaurd base and met with a few pilots who told me in short, if your dad isn't an admiral you ain't getting a pilot slot.

So if you want to be in the coast guard then join, if you want to be a pilot and think being a pilot for the coast gaurd would be cool I would run away.
Well you see, you were at the wrong kind of base. You needed to visit a COAST GUARD base, not a Coast Gaurd base. Then you would have gotten some better information.

Seriously, I know things have changed since I went through CG flight training, but one thing won't change I don't think. That is the fact that the CG is a SEA-GOING service with a tiny aviation arm. MOST people in the CG are there to serve on ships, so the demand for flight training spots is not as high as a bunch of folks who are interested enough in aviation to frequent these forums would think. So although the numbers are small, there are a lot fewer folks interested in getting a slot than say the Air Force.

To suggest that your father has to be an Admiral, or anything else for that matter, to get a pilot slot is ludicrous. Heck, my Dad was "only" a Captain and I was able to sneak in somehow!

FJ

Yeah, I've got to learn to check my grammar and spelling before I post. Seriously, I think it has a negative affect on people when there forced to read posts the were not written good. I guess its just to much work. :)

In any case, I think my point was (and you'll probably not disagree) that there are not many pilot slots, and like everything else in life, who you know makes a difference and more importantly, joining the coast guard just to be a pilot is a bad idea.

Joing the coast guard because you want to join and hoping on a pilot slot is a different story if that makes sense.

psysicx said:
Do officers stand watch while there at sea?

Deployed pilots do not stand bridge watches, if that's what you're asking.
They do attend the majority of command briefings, quarters, etc., while
under the operational control (OPCON) of the ship.

The same would hold true for the deployed enlisted aircrew.

Pilots and aircrews are deployed as mission specific assets. Their
number one job is to maintain and fly the plane.

Quick answer: No.

P.S. They make pretty good pizza on Saturday nights though.

Last edited:
Rider: be careful, you are being sucked into the question vortex that is psysicx. Its like quicksand, you won't be able to get out.

For what its worth, I think he meant the ship guys, who of course stand watches when they are on the ship. Somebody has to drive and maintain the ship.

Pilots and crew deployed on ships either lay around and sunbathe, work on the helo and suck up all the ship's fresh water to wash the helo, or eat the wardroom/galley out of ice cream. Oh yeah, they usually fly a couple of times a day too.

Good dudes (and dudettes) though.

Ok, I'm out.

FJ

Ok, that was deserved after the pontiac Aztec comment. Plus it was pretty funny and had a hint of truth. I loved it.

sardaddy said:
My question is, how could you see it that clearly from 10,000 ft with your box lunch in the way?
Come on daddy, you know that all "real" CG pilots spend their first tour on a ship. I was on the mighty Valiant out of Galveston TX for almost 2 years and we always had a helo det onboard. I was a Deck Watch Officer and eventually 1st LT. Got to watch them sunbathe and wash the helo every day!

We managed to lose an H-52 due to dynamic rollover on takeoff in some particularly nasty seas. Fortunately all 3 crewmembers got out ok and only a couple of deck apes were hurt in the rush to GQ. The helo took out a couple of the safety nets that the tiedown guys "hide" in right down to the deck level but they managed to escape to the main deck as taught.

One reason why I went Falcons: we were out in the middle of a 3 week patrol in the Gulf of Mexico and the helo went down for a chip light. The helo mech pulled the filter and tossed it overboard (before we were so environmentally savy) figuring there was a spare in the helo support kit. Oops, no spare. Skipper is po'd because now our "eyes" are down and its not looking good.

Later that afternoon just before sunset here comes a shiny new Falcon doing a couple of low passes and then they dropped us a utility can with a couple of filters and newspapers. Another victory pass and they are off into the horizon. As I stood on deck and pondered the next couple of weeks at sea and my upcoming 4-8am watch on the bridge, I realized that those guys would soon be in the wardroom yukking it up and drinking some beer and telling everybody how they saved our bacon.

I knew that night that I wanted to fly the lawndart and I had my app for flight school in the mail at our next homeport.

Besides, you'd be surprised what you can see from 10,000 feet if you take the time out from that box lunch to actually look.

FJ

Latest resources

Back