• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coast Guard Pilot Demand?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My brother was an Army helo pilot. He tells me that flying rotor wing is like masterbating. It's fun, but people look down on you for doing it.

That is a pretty dumb statement... guess it is in same theme as this silly thread.

My time as a helo pilot has been great, and my time in the Coast Guard (three weeks) has been awsome. Went and did a two helo fly over at a race the other day. Walking around, I never heard so many thank-you's and keep-it-up's from folks. No one there looked down on a helo pilot. Especially the people who had been saved or known others helped by them.

And by the by, the few tools in my flight school class that said they would only accept jets, and vocally would bad mouth the prop and helo communities... they attrited out of advanced.

Second hand knowledge and misinformation can be bad things.

Last edited:
psysicx said:
Hey FJ do you have any more info on being a diver?

Well I don't think a public forum is the proper place for me to discuss........

oh wait, you must mean a deep sea diver.

No, I don't know anything about how tough that is. I think there are only a few ships with a diver billet and those guys have to apply for Navy dive school and get it. Don't know if they even do it anymore.

Any other takers for the question vortex?

FJ

Strictly a guess: since the replacement CASAs are on the way, slow phase out between 2010 and 2015. All gone by 2020 at the latest, probably closer to 2015. Just a guess from an old retired geezer.

FJ

I was in exactly the same place about 10 years ago. I drove to a Coast Gaurd base and met with a few pilots who told me in short, if your dad isn't an admiral you ain't getting a pilot slot.

So if you want to be in the coast guard then join, if you want to be a pilot and think being a pilot for the coast gaurd would be cool I would run away.

Latest resources

Back