Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What he said...

Falconjet said:
Pilots and crew deployed on ships either lay around and sunbathe, work on the helo and suck up all the ship's fresh water to wash the helo, or eat the wardroom/galley out of ice cream. Oh yeah, they usually fly a couple of times a day too.
FJ

Deployed helo crews are all the same... They sleep 'til they're hungry, then they eat 'til they're sleepy!

Sorry it took so long to reply CGhercster, I was in the galley.

I'm sure you have some free time anyway since you are most likely waiting for your box lunch before you can depart on your next exciting mission. Heaven forbid you have to buy yourself a sandwich. Did you make sure the rental cars would be ready when you arrived at your destination? I would hate to see you degrade yourself by taking a cab.

Last edited:
Yeah, that poor stinger gave its life for us. There are a lot more easier ways to break one. I don't suggest the route we took.

By the way, I think I got your PM. I will have to take another look.

No not I...

I met a fellow 58D pilot. One of the STAN pilots from Mobile. Nice guy. Flew with you all durning Katrina.

Kow

When I was in the CG I started out my officer career as an assistant assignment officer before attending flight school. And I can tell you that if you are medically qualified and have the OER's (Officer Evaluation Reports) to back up your performance you will be able to go to flight school. There is no guarantee that you will get a flight school slot out of OCS (however your flight time will help.)

Once in flight school the only way to select fixed wing is to outperform your fellow coasties during flight school so you have the choice of selection when you are nearing completion of primary flight training. I am not sure what they need the most of right now. I have buddies who are telling me they are hurting for C130 pilots up in Alaska and helo pilots everywhere else. When I went through I selected helos (by choice) and transitioned to fixed wing a few years later. Loved flying helos (H60's) and then the C130. Now I fly for UPS. So you can still start helos and end up where I am today if that is your choice. But you need to make it through OCS first. The better you do academically, physically, military training, and your peer evals the better your chances of getting flight school.

I hope this helps.

p.s. Falcons are a waste of good sheet metal and wire. Their typical TDY is airshows. They have no mission and never fly. Thank goodness they are going away.

Latest resources

Back