Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SmellsLikeAvGas

Hello Everyone:
I've been on before with Coast Guard aviation questions, and I just found out on Thursday that I've been selected for the June 1 OCS class, so now I have some more questions to add...
I am trying for a pilot slot.. I have my private, IR, and am close to my commercial (well, need about 19 hrs.. but who's counting?) I totally wasn't expecting it, and now I have to decide very quickly to go or not to go (June 1st? It's already May.. will have to leave my job that was difficult to get.. get in shape for PT.. miss my brother's wedding.. and do a million other things.. I wanted to try to switch in to the October class instead, but I"m told it's not possible..) I was basically just wondering if anyone knew what the current need was right now for fixed wing pilots in the CG (I know helo flying in the CG is awesome, but I'm an airplane gal and my goal is to fly fixed wing..) I know there are a lot more helicopters than airplane in the CG, and I also heard that they will be needing more helo pilots for flying they're taking over from Customs... but I was wondering if there still was a chance I might get a slot for fixed wing (and also, do more people DESIRE helicopters than airplanes? I mean, will most of the applicants I'm competing with prefer helos, or is it pretty much a mixed bag of what people desire?)
Sorry for the million questions.. thanks in advance for your reading and writing. :)

A Deciding Factor

You sound like you are not totally convinced that being a Coast Guard officer is the thing you want most in life.

Forgive me if I misread you, but if you are trying to make your mind up about attending OCS after you've gone through the process and have a class date, this doesn't speak well for your commitment to the service and to the goal of serving as an officer.

Therefore I'd advise you not to go. Being an officer in any military service is something you have to be sure about, especially if you want a leadership role. If you're not 100% sure, right now, don't take an OCS slot away from some deserving Coast Guardsman who's paid his or her dues for the chance to be an officer and is committed to the career path.

Priorities

I'm with onthebeach on this one. OCS is no cake walk. If your primary focus is whether you could get fixed over rotary, you may not be equipped to deal with the very real possibility of not getting a flying slot and all you will end up doing is wasting yours & the CG's time and resources. The very process is designed to weed out those that may be there for the wrong reasons or perhaps have nothing better to do at the moment.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

MT

I just finished four years in the Coast Guard (enlisted). I inquired about flying for the Guard when my CO tried to get me to stay in. The answers I got didn't give me much confidence. Now, I may be wrong, but from what I understand, fixed wing (and helo) pilots are more often than not, borrowed from the Air Force. They are Coasties, but they've lateraled over. The Coast Guard does not have it's own flight school. I looked into it more and found out that the amount of time and effort I would have to put in to get a shot at flying for the Guard wasn't worth it. So, I decided to get out and do it on my own where, how shall I put this.... my chances of flying for a living depend much more on ME than some higher-ups giving me a shot. That being said, the CG is a great organization. I loved it and if it weren't for this darn flying dream, I'd still be there. Anyway, you may want to talk to some CG pilots and get their advice. A recruiter will give you a tour of an Air Station. Just make sure the recruiter isn't around when the pilot answers your more "sensitive" questions. :)

WestHouston said:
Now, I may be wrong, but from what I understand, fixed wing (and helo) pilots are more often than not, borrowed from the Air Force. They are Coasties, but they've lateraled over. The Coast Guard does not have it's own flight school.
No, they're not borrowed. Yes, some do lateral over. Fixed wing pilots
transition from helo within the Coast Guard flying community. The Coast
Guard may allow some to lateral over from other services, this would be
better answered by SarDaddy or one of the current crop of dedicated
flyers.

SmellsLikeAvGas said:
I am trying for a pilot slot.. I have my private, IR, and am close to my commercial (well, need about 19 hrs.. but who's counting?) I totally wasn't expecting it, and now I have to decide very quickly to go or not to go (June 1st? It's already May.. will have to leave my job that was difficult to get.. get in shape for PT.. miss my brother's wedding.. and do a million other things.. I wanted to try to switch in to the October class instead, but I"m told it's not possible..)
Gotta go with Onthebeach on this one... unless you're ready to make
the transition to CG officer, don't waste your time. Have a good time
at your brother's wedding then do your million other things.

Being a CG officer and pilot is not an 8-hour a day job.

The comments above are not meant as a slam on you - they're honest, to the point
answers.

Last edited:
Smellslikeavgas,

Congratulations on selection, it is a competitive selection. Bear with me though as I am reeling at the fact that you are asking these questions now, instead of before you started the process and are considering passing the opportunity up because of things that should have already been considered.

The current need for pilots both fixed and rotary are higher than they have been for years. However, if you will only be happy flying fixed wings, the only way you can guarantee that you stay in fixed wings is to remain a civilian and fly what you want. No matter what service you join, there is always a chance of flying helos.

Yes, there is a chance that you will get a fixed wing slot in flight school but as stated earlier, there is a chance you won't get selected for flight school right out of OCS either. If you are not willing to take a chance then I would say to pass on OCS.

If you like your job more than the opportunity to fly, you somehow forgot to get in shape once you applied, and you really don't want to miss your brother's wedding then pass on OCS.

If you are willing to take a chance, are willing to work hard, and can handle some possible bumps in the road to achieve a goal of yours in a great organization then go to OCS.

Westhouston,

I am sorry you did not pursue aviation in the Coast Guard based on some hearsay. All of the information you have is wrong.

The Coast Guard does not "borrow" pilots from other services especially from the Air Force. We offer a direct commission to pilots from other services but we do not currently offer this to fixed wing pilots. The helo pilots are screened and selected as needed. They have no affilliation with their prior service once they are in the program.

Additionally, Direct Commissioned Aviators only make up a little less than half of the pilots in the Coast Guard. Most pilots are made the traditional way through OCS and the Coast Guard Academy and sent to flight school.

No, the Coast Guard doesn't have its own flight school. It shares one with the Navy and the Marine Corps. It is a joint flight school with pilots from each service conducting the training. So we do train our own pilots.

I am sorry you felt your time and effort were not worth the experience. I understand your position though. But I think you find that it will be as much of an effort on the civilian side in the long run but as you said, you will be the one who makes the decision, or doesn't.

why the coast guard?

AVGasSmeller :)

If you want to be a fixed wing pilot, why did you put all your eggs into the coast guard basket? And coasties, don't take this th e wrong way, as the coast guard is a class organization, but what this young lady should do is go see her air force recruiter. Tell him/her what you want to do, adn don't let them talk you into doing anything else. After some persistance, a couple of tests, and reminding the recruiter that "No I don't want to be a Navigator," you will head of to OTS knowing that you will go to flight school upon completion.
And no there isn't a garauntee that you will fly fixed wing in the air force, but if you graduate from pilot traiing, only about 1 out of the 30 or so in your class will get a helo, and usually that person wants it.
If you want more of a garauntee that you will fly fixed wing, go to your local air force reserve or guard station and start talking to them about getting into their unit. If hired, they will send you to OTC (and a much easier one at that), and to pilot training (the same as everyone else goes to). You will know exactly what plane you will fly (obviously the one that your unit flies) and you will know where you are going to be stationed. You will also have more control over your life, as you are a reservist and not active duty. (the price of this, is that you aren't a full time employee, so you will get to/have to keep the job you currently have.
If you have any questions, pm me... and I do know what I am talking about because I was recently an instructor at an air force flight training base.

good luck

Gas: While I agree with onthebeach and the others to a point, I don't think that there is anything wrong with evaluating your opportunities as you go. When I was accepted at the USCG Academy 28 years ago I almost turned it down, and I didn't have any other options really.

It wasn't until I actually had the opportunity to go that I could actually make my decision, and I decided to go. My older brother DID turn down an appointment at USCGA, went somewhere else and eventually got an appointment 2 years later. Not everybody knows what they want when they have to make the choice. I don't think that you still aren't sure yet means that you don't deserve the opportunity.

That said, I agree wholeheartedly that you shouldn't go unless you are willing to take the chance that you may not end up in flight training right away and furthermore that if/when you do get into flight training you might not get a fixed wing slot up graduation. Those are possibilities.

The CG will continue to need both fixed and rotary wing pilots, however, and there is no reason why you CAN'T get one of those fixed wing slots. Somebody is going to get one, why not you?

I also think that the guard or reserve options that Bengalsfan mentions are certainly viable and maybe even better, but if you haven't already pursued those you won't have time to do so before Jun. If you pass on CG OCS and want to be a military officer and pilot you should take a look at those options.

Remember that there is a reason they are called Armed Services. You are there to serve your country. The fact that you are also a pilot and may receive some valuable training and experience that you can parlay into a career down the road should be a side benefit. If you go in with that as your primary mission you might be pretty unhappy while you serve.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

FJ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back