Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CNN reporting a Lear Jet down at Chicago Executive, Wheeling?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
seems to show the accident site almost directly on final to the runway. I wonder if in the circle to land, they didn't try to tighten it up and "make" the final

again, walking that fine line.....

RIP guys

Sadly, I knew a couple of guys who bought it in a Lear doing the same thing.

I don't know, but my "raised eyebrow" comes from the crash site almost directly on final, and a mile or two from the airport, in other words, landing phase.

Due to the proximity to KORD, when the winds are out of the north the standard operation at KPWK is to shoot the approach to 16, then cancel IFR and enter left traffic to 34. The crash site is directly lined up with the 34 final, and the aircraft came straight down. Text book base-to-final stall accident at first glance.

Due to the proximity to KORD, when the winds are out of the north the standard operation at KPWK is to shoot the approach to 16, then cancel IFR and enter left traffic to 34. The crash site is directly lined up with the 34 final, and the aircraft came straight down. Text book base-to-final stall accident at first glance.

Pure speculation but I agree. A little ice on the airframe and the chances increase. My condolences to families and friends. Godspeed.

Last edited:
I know we are splitting hairs here but you do not have to cancel IFR to circle. If you do stay IFR (its really ********************ty and the wind is blowing out of the north strong) then you need to let everybody know in advance (prior to going to tower). If the weather is decent then they definitely want you to cancel - no questions about it.

It sucks but lots of other circles suck as well. I will also offer this - there is a bunch of housing on the north and south side of the airport and how/why it was missed is something to mention in prayers. Somethings just cannot be explained.

Forgive me if I am inaccurate but I was under the impression that the weather was pretty good. They probably did pick up a bunch of ice coming over the lake at ORD restricitions for north side satellite airports. They usually have you at 6000 or so at one of the last fixes and then bring you down to 3000 then 2400 for the approach.

In the end it doesn't matter a rats ass because the crew and the aircraft are gone and friends and family have huge holes in their hearts.

Latest resources

Back