CitationShares Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
/

The only advantage CS has over Netjets, particularly a new hire is the choice of basing and that's it. If I were a new hire and could live in one of NJs bases, there would not be a choice. The fractionals will have harder times recruiting the type of individual they are accustomed to unless they all improve their benefits and quality of life. The pay at NJ and CS is respectable for what we do, it's the Q of life that matters to me.

Sparse, have you gone over to the dark side?

Cs

The only advantage CS has over Netjets, particularly a new hire is the choice of basing and that's it. If I were a new hire and could live in one of NJs bases, there would not be a choice. The fractionals will have harder times recruiting the type of individual they are accustomed to unless they all improve their benefits and quality of life. The pay at NJ and CS is respectable for what we do, it's the Q of life that matters to me.

I guess it has eveything to do with where you came from. I have never had a week of paid vacation in my life and have never had 401k and affordable benefits and have never had more than maybe 8-10 days off a month. So to me the fractional industry as a whole seems pretty nice. I have worked for my share of crappy 121 and 135 companies but have never made more than 40k. 1 week of vacation isnt that bad when you get 26 other weeks off a year. Yeah I know Netjets gets two but they also have to be based in 5 very big expensive cities. (don't just assume that is going to change in the next contract) so that cost of having to move or pay to commute via driving or flying offsets the small pay difference. Most of the fractionals are strong and growing and really don't directly compete since most owners are new and not transfers from other services. I will go to whichever frac calls because they are all a step above the regionals and shady 135 operators but the basing of CS actually appeals to me more because commuting sucks especially when it is on your own dime. I do have a thing against kneepads though but the hats sound pimp!!!!!!

exhibit A of a regional pilot

Turbine?

Do they ever hire pilots without turbine time? I really don't want to go to a regional....

What lies in your response is exactly what is wrong with this profession. Pilots sell themselves too short. The real earning power of the major airline jobs has come down because some sold themselves short and were willing to do the job for a lot less. Less in real dollars and QOL. Your attitude on vacation is exactly why it will never change. You are willing to do ir for less because less is better than what you have. We need to place real value on what we do. Our week off after a tour is just that, our week off. COmpare the time you spend on the job each week to that of the office types and you will see a staggering figure. The office types get to go home every night. We do not. I don't know for a fact, but I bet they get two weeks vacation. All and all, a fractional pilot spends close to twice the amount of time at work (hours away from home) as the average 40 hour per week worker. One week of vacation os pathetic.

spoken like a true union rep.

spoken like a true union rep.

Spooken like a guy that loves to be at the companies whim.

Hows that sitting around the FBO's doing? What about the forced overtime with no pay?
Try not to eat all the cookies at the fbo.

Spooken like a guy that loves to be at the companies whim.

Hows that sitting around the FBO's doing? What about the forced overtime with no pay?
Try not to eat all the cookies at the fbo.

Ummmmm, sounds like your company bruddas sittin FBOOOOO below......

"If you don't like FBO rot, stay away from the 400xp. That thing is the king of the FBO rot."

Are the 400XP dudes not at the company whim?

"NetJets actually has a rest waiver from the FAA for the 800XP. That means that the 800XP crews can be scheduled with a minimum of 8.5 hours of rest. I really don't know how those guys and gals put up with that."

Wait a sec, doesn't the teemsters have a say?

"Just flew my second tour in the G-200. I love how different the flying is day to day. I had my first "sit at the FBO and rot" day. I flew one three hour leg and sat at the FBO for 8 hours. I have to say, that sucked hard."

"I've only been here a year and a half but love it... well, compared to the regionals I certainly do. But it depends what you mean by QOL- different strokes for different folks."

Some people hate flying and love sitting hot spare as much as possible. Some hate long legs. Some hate short legs because it means too many turns. Yet all of these things vary not just by fleet but also time of the year, gateway or domicile location, and even luck of the draw on a tour. Plus, is it just me or are the schedulers are playing around lately with wierd schedules sometimes to fill in their super-duper computer program that is supposed to predict fatigue calls?

Coming from the regionals, it took me a bit of getting used to the short overnights (10-11 hours are routine), forcing one to ask for a 14 hour via a fatigue call if they get too carried away with that. Granted, no reduced rest like the airlines, but sitting around a long time on hot spare to fly at the end, or sitting around for hours after you fly a few hard legs, can get old. However, usually variety and luck of the draw intervenes for the better too, and you get a hotel day with no or a broken airplane, or a one leg day with a late checkin, or something, to make up for that here and there."

No, just stating fact. I love what I do and love where I work, I just wish they loved me the same and gave me some more vacation.

Like a buddy once told me "sometimes you beat the system, sometimes the system beats you, but in the end it all evens out".

Plus......you have to admit.....it all still beats working for a living!!!!

"Plus......you have to admit.....it all still beats working for a living" ...................or working for CF!

Latest resources

Back