• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Citation Shares, what would you change?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FAA POI? Is that the FAA Pilot Operating Instruction? What is it? Why wouldn't it just be an FAA reg?

Again fellas, I am military and unfamiliar with this stuff. We have our military regulations that govern our operations. Thanks for the help.

FAA POI? Is that the FAA Pilot Operating Instruction? What is it? Why wouldn't it just be an FAA reg?

Principal Operating Inspector -- basically the "go-to guy" from the FAA that an airline deals with. Sadly, his word is basically "law," and creates some real inconsistencies in the industry.

I am guessing it is a restriction imposed due to the crew duty day and the potential safety issues of driving beyond 2 hours after a tour?

I know for a fact that Citation Shares is losing some very good potential applicants because of this rule. I have spoken about the fractionals to many of my military friends and they ALWAYS mention this as a limiting factor and then go straight to a conversation about NetJets and their 100 bases.

If they would work this requirement or eliminate it all together and just keep the domiciles they have, it would be a HUGE step in bringing in quality applicants to the company.

I know they don't want to grow as big as NetJets but it would allow them to be a bit more selective in who they hired due to the number of applicants it would attract. Out of a group of 20 or so applicants, you would probably always be able to get atleast 2 that are very qualified and would work well in meeting the company goals.

I suspect there is more to it than this. I really don't know because I am on the outside looking in. It just seems to be that obvious to me.

I am guessing it is a restriction imposed due to the crew duty day and the potential safety issues of driving beyond 2 hours after a tour?

I don't think the POI, if this story is correct, is concerned about someone driving AFTER a tour but rather before. However, unless a company would have someone actually start duty at home, then the FAR's do not require that the drive to work be considered part of the duty day itself.

I don't think the POI, if this story is correct, is concerned about someone driving AFTER a tour but rather before. However, unless a company would have someone actually start duty at home, then the FAR's do not require that the drive to work be considered part of the duty day itself.

Don't know if the POI had anything to do with it but I do believe Guitar Guy is right, this is the concern....your duty day (possibly 14 hours) starts when you get to your base, now the pilot has chosen to drive 4+ hours before this and you have one worn out unhappy pilot at the end of day one. Not saying they shouldn't get rid of this rule but I do see the reasoning.

I understand that reasoning but still feel pilots are a smart and responsible enough group that they would understand that as well and get themselves there the day prior so they wouldn't have that situation to deal with.

Again, sorry to beat this dead horse. I am done with it. It is what it is.

I understand that reasoning but still feel pilots are a smart and responsible enough group that they would understand that as well and get themselves there the day prior so they wouldn't have that situation to deal with.[/quote

Welcome to civilian aviation....you will quickly realize this statement is far, far from the truth!!

No problems on beating the dead horse, sometimes you have to do that to get the info you need.

Good luck in your search, feel free to PM me if you need any specific info on CS.

CS also pays for a hotel room on your last day if you tell them you are too tired to drive home. You get no OT but you do get a free hotel room. I could easily see guys with a 4+ hour drive using this a lot more than anyone on property now uses it. This wouls be an added exspense to the company. I belive the 2 hour drive is a bunch of crap and intend on asking why they feel this limit is so important.

I certainly don't agree with it. Their domicile selection is probably one of the dumbest things about CS. They say they have GSO as a base instead of CLT because CLT is a one airline town but just about everybody GSO based lives in CLT and they drive to GSO and get on the Mesa feeder flight back to CLT to connect. Now that is dumb. I will say alot of the bases on the NJ list are pretty crazy though but CS should at least double the list to stay competitive. Of course you could always take a chance and use a false address but if you get caught....well you know.

Without a union, is it common place for pilots to be fired at CS?

I guess I am not too familiar with the pros/cons of a union in aviation other than what I read here and in aviation magazines.

Any of you CS pilots know of anyone fired recently? If so, what was the reason. Thanks for any help here. I guess I am trying to determine if you feel it would be beneficial to have a union at CS.

Latest resources

Back