• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CHQ's new CRJ's When do they arrive?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Almost a decade plying around the commuters. I can count on one hand the times CATII or higher would have benefited. If we were in the NW, I could see it, but even BOS, it'd rarely help...

SW a long time ago made the decision that the "cost" and it is a huge cost - with the crew training and staying current and the extra cost to make the equipment CAT II - was not worth the extra feet - They actually did a pretty extensive study - at the time they were still mostly flying regionally in the SW but I think the only folks that actually get their bang for the buck is Alaska - and their CAT III's - there are a lot of times they would ground 50% of the fleet with CAT I planes -

It also brings up this little input - in actual CAT II approaches you see almost nothing - you are basically a fing passenger - not much time to react to anything abnormal - kind of like my buddy in the AF flying the FB111's - he used to give me ******************** flying the 135 - but I'd see him some nights after his night low levels in the Adirondacks - I'd smile and he'd say "Just a fing passenger tonight".

Sometimes I think in our continued class A world of pushing it because we don't want to be the first to raise up the bull******************** flag - we push each other into making wrong decisions by riding guys making the right call. How many times have you heard guys in line for takeoff all head back to the gate after that first guy says "Ummm Ground we need to head back to the gate for another deicing." It's like watching the momma duck cross the road with the ducklings all in tow.

Even in wartime commanders would tell us "We do nothing here that is important enough "today" to bend metal and lose people - thats not our job - our job is to make the other stupid bastards bend metal and lose people" Think it was a Patton quote but I would just shake my head up and down like the good Captain I was -

Sometimes I look at CAT II the same way and ask "why" - what do we really get out of it? I know the systems are ******************** hot - they really are - but still - there are limits to all this and maybe thats why they still keep us in the seats - the computer sure as hell doesn't have a raise up the bull******************** flag button.

Keep flying safe.

SW a long time ago made the decision that the "cost" and it is a huge cost - with the crew training and staying current and the extra cost to make the equipment CAT II - was not worth the extra feet - They actually did a pretty extensive study - at the time they were still mostly flying regionally in the SW but I think the only folks that actually get their bang for the buck is Alaska - and their CAT III's - there are a lot of times they would ground 50% of the fleet with CAT I planes -

It also brings up this little input - in actual CAT II approaches you see almost nothing - you are basically a fing passenger - not much time to react to anything abnormal - kind of like my buddy in the AF flying the FB111's - he used to give me ******************** flying the 135 - but I'd see him some nights after his night low levels in the Adirondacks - I'd smile and he'd say "Just a fing passenger tonight".

Sometimes I think in our continued class A world of pushing it because we don't want to be the first to raise up the bull******************** flag - we push each other into making wrong decisions by riding guys making the right call. How many times have you heard guys in line for takeoff all head back to the gate after that first guy says "Ummm Ground we need to head back to the gate for another deicing." It's like watching the momma duck cross the road with the ducklings all in tow.

Even in wartime commanders would tell us "We do nothing here that is important enough "today" to bend metal and lose people - thats not our job - our job is to make the other stupid bastards bend metal and lose people" Think it was a Patton quote but I would just shake my head up and down like the good Captain I was -

Sometimes I look at CAT II the same way and ask "why" - what do we really get out of it? I know the systems are ******************** hot - they really are - but still - there are limits to all this and maybe thats why they still keep us in the seats - the computer sure as hell doesn't have a raise up the bull******************** flag button.

Keep flying safe.

Um...dude....... the systems in the 135/145 really are no that ******************** hot.

Almost a decade plying around the commuters. I can count on one hand the times CATII or higher would have benefited. If we were in the NW, I could see it, but even BOS, it'd rarely help...

In the 4 or so years we've had it at exjet, I've done it 4 times. Once each into EWR and IAH and once each into Halifax and St John's. The times at the hubs alot of the exjet guys were making it in when other guys had to divert.

I've heard from guys in the sim building that one day of successful cat II approaches at one of the hubs pays for the training for the whole year.

Keep flying safe.

It took you 5 paragraphs to lay down your viewpoint on CAT II, wow. I've done a handful in real life let alone the many times in the simulator and don't see what the big deal is.

I marched with 9E in Memphis and with CMR in ATL on my days OFF.

Interesting. I was marching with the CMR pilots in ATL, and I certainly didn't see any XJT FOs.

Latest resources

Back