• Start date
  • Watchers 50

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep in mind that now the unit cost of XJet is going down considerably, so the company will need to take concessions. If i do the math right the rates come out just slightly lower than CHQ. Seems similar to what is happening at XJ. Welcome to the world of contract airlines, the lucky ones get out fast. Will it ever change? I don't think so. However if Chawawa does get the flying, Congrats to those pilots, you are now one step closer to a mainline furlough.

777_Jackpot said:
With all do respect, I don't blame them. That is how the game works. Worrying about the other guy is contrary to how business is done. The airline industry is no different then any other industry in America. It has competition just the same as the automotive industry, retail, etc. By doing the SAME EXACT JOB as everyone else, but for less, is how you win the game. My hat goes off to CHQ on job well done on kicking everyone elses azz.

I wasn't blaming anyone. I was at XJT when we were taking some old CAL routes....I certainly didn't refuse to fly those routes because they used to be flown by CAL....my point was that everyone is bashing CHQ because they won the contract for the flying, but in reality, XJT has done the same type of thing in the past.....yes I know that no one was furloughed as a result of XJT doing the old CAL routes, but that still doesn't mean that it was right.....if you re-read my post, I think you will see that I was trying say that we will all be cut by the whipsaw at some point in our careers, so gloating about how you will be upgrading at someone elses expense is just plain silly....what goes around comes around.

Skychief

updraft said:
so how does that work if this 69 jet thing is going down?
The problem is that everyone acts as though XJT is LOSING 69 airplanes. Clearly, they are not educated on the details. XJT, per the CPA, has until September 28 to notify CAL of its intention to keep or return some or all of the 69 a/c whose capacity is to be replaced. I think it is safe to say that XJT has no intention of returning any a/c, otherwise, they would cease all hiring, save the expense, and run the current pilots ragged all summer long. According to our CEO, there are multiple viable options for the use of these a/c. One option is a fractional type of operation which we are told will yield very profitable results, another is carriage for a 121 carrier (there are two specifically promising one's at this time), another is to perform some % of flying as Express Jet Airlines, and finally there are some international operations that you may see XJT involved in down the road (still our pilots). Essentially, the wheels are turning and have been, but nothing official has been announced yet. XJT is a good company with a pretty good contract and very reasonable work rules. I would encourage anyone who is interested not to be so short sighted as to say XJT is losing 69 airplanes. Based on the plan that was laid out in front of me, I would expect to see growth and diversity for XJT out of this whole experience. It's just gonna sting for awhile until our official new relationships are announced. Trust me, after spending a year and change at Colgan, 1.5 yrs of instruction, and some charter work before finally coming to XJT, this news of CAL's has not been easy to take. I have over 2000 hours of turbine experience and would gladly except a 4th stripe, but if the worst were to happen, I could be one of the last furloughs from XJT. I do have a very vested interest in this outcome. Regardless of how uncomfortable the next few months may be for current and new hire XJT employees, I think everyone will be surprised at where we end up. For all those posts who think they should go apply to CHQ, I wouldn't be so hasty... then again, if you are ahead of my #, please go.

Last edited:
beech cowboy, You make points that have been made a million times before. It would be an ideal world, however, capitalism prevents it. First, if there was a national list deal, you'd NEVER get out of training!!! Each company with it's fits and starts....Wow!! I just got cold sweats thinking about all that SIM training....

Here's the deal. We all work for individual companies. You left Colgan for something better. Good for you. I have been at RP long enough that our F/O's now make more per hour than J31 CA's when I started. I make more than some mainline pilots and enjoy 14-16 days a month off. It's all a crap shoot. The hot places when I entered the show were Comair, ASA, Eagle, any US Wholly Owned, CoEx, but I wasn't smart enough for them. I came to a crappy commuter bouncing along the just making enough money to survive. We got bought by some folks with deep pockets and were given a CEO who can make deals. This airline was a hole from 1974 to 1999. Now, due to a convergence of time, money and people, we are rapidly growing. What if BB leaves? No one knows how the business model will fair. We might just go away.
Point is: we are pawns. All we do is make our lives as comfortable as we can during our tenure. We all be as professional as we can and treat our guests as best we can. It is up to the bosses to decide. XJET will join the paint swapping fray, and all I can say is, the planes will be flown for somebody, just who?

Now to the jerks who always attack our contract: Yes we are not top paid in the industry. You got us there. Actually MGT's first TA had us above CMR rates during the heyday, but we voted it down because it was concessionary in all work rules areas. Every single section of our contract is an improvement over our previous one. We have a spectacular scope (one-list) that the ALPA SHOULD have had the foresight for in the 70's, no JUNIOR MANNING, decent pay (compare our 190 rates to U. U has us in the first few years, but overall they are less...granted we have no 190's, but I am making more in the 170 than I would be as a street 190 CA), and I can't convince idiots, but our reserve rules are better than UAL. I don't know what you expect from us, but I expect no less than an improvement in all areas. Our agreement becomes amendable in 07. Watch and bash....Maybe we'll get the $100 5th yr like CoEx kept telling us we should get.

beechcowboy said:
According to our CEO, there are multiple viable options for the use of these a/c. One option is a fractional type of operation which we are told will yield very profitable results, another is carriage for a 121 carrier (there are two specifically promising one's at this time), another is to perform some % of flying as Express Jet Airlines, and finally there are some international operations that you may see XJT involved in down the road (still our pilots). Essentially, the wheels are turning and have been, but nothing official has been announced yet. XJT is a good company with a pretty good contract and very reasonable work rules. I would encourage anyone who is interested not to be so short sighted as to say XJT is losing 69 airplanes. Based on the plan that was laid out in front of me, I would expect to see growth and diversity for XJT out of this whole experience. It's just gonna sting for awhile until our official new relationships are announced. Trust me, after spending a year and change at Colgan, 1.5 yrs of instruction, and some charter work before finally coming to XJT, this news of CAL's has not been easy to take. I have over 2000 hours of turbine experience and would gladly except a 4th stripe, but if the worst were to happen, I could be one of the last furloughs from XJT. I do have a very vested interest in this outcome. Regardless of how uncomfortable the next few months may be for current and new hire XJT employees, I think everyone will be surprised at where we end up. For all those posts who think they should go apply to CHQ, I wouldn't be so hasty... then again, if you are ahead of my #, please go.

What do you think the cost of that growth and diversity is going to be for us? You can gauantee that if they find another 121 partner it's going to pan out somethinng like this;

Jim Ream: "Guys, we're going to be able to keep all 69 planes on property and not have to furlough anybody. This is an exciting growth oppurtunity for us at XJet. But even my surperior managemnt skills can't pull this off without a little help. Now, with the fiancial state of the industry we are not competitve on a cost basis, we are the second most expensive 50 seat provider out there. We can't continue to remain competitive at that level. Our new partner has told us that. But if we can get our cost down it's a done deal and you will all still have jobs."

What do you think is going to happen? Do you still think XJet is still going to have some of the best work rules going? Hope for the best but plan for the worst my friend. After we get bent over on the contract trying to keep 69 airplanes and the asscoiated jobs that go with them, guess who is going to be calling us whores and sellouts?

What are we going to say? "We needed to lower the bar to keep our jobs".

ERJpusher said:
No one is directly responding to this guy because it's retarded. We aren't getting sucked into this like you obviously are. If you can't recognize flame bait, you've got issues. He's not even a CHQ pilot.

Besides, with a screen name like yours, you don't command much credibility either.

you don't know....

dojetdriver said:
What do you think the cost of that growth and diversity is going to be for us? You can gauantee that if they find another 121 partner it's going to pan out somethinng like this;

Jim Ream: "Guys, we're going to be able to keep all 69 planes on property and not have to furlough anybody. This is an exciting growth oppurtunity for us at XJet. But even my surperior managemnt skills can't pull this off without a little help. Now, with the fiancial state of the industry we are not competitve on a cost basis, we are the second most expensive 50 seat provider out there. We can't continue to remain competitive at that level. Our new partner has told us that. But if we can get our cost down it's a done deal and you will all still have jobs."

What do you think is going to happen? Do you still think XJet is still going to have some of the best work rules going? Hope for the best but plan for the worst my friend. After we get bent over on the contract trying to keep 69 airplanes and the asscoiated jobs that go with them, guess who is going to be calling us whores and sellouts?

What are we going to say? "We needed to lower the bar to keep our jobs".

There is a simple answer to this... NO, if you don't want it, vote no. Every situation has its costs and benefits, and they should all be weighed on their merits. Relatively speaking, we are one of the more unproductive pilot groups. We have some nice amenities in our contract, but frankly, I could live without a few of those if it meant measured growith and better job security. I'm not voting for concessions, but sometimes a small concession on the micro scale yields gains on the macro scale. Again, each condition must be weighed specifically on its merits and a competent decision rendered. Everything is negotiable, we all know that, even our pilot group knows that. Do I vote for pay concessions, probably not; I don't have the money to give. That being said, on our meeting with Jim, he made it a point to say that the company was not interested in seeking concessions to keep or gain flying. To my knowledge, he has never lied to us. He may not always say what you want to hear, but he has never lied. The man looked me in the face and said this. I have to take him at his word until he proves otherwise. If our union is worth a damn, then we will work it out to the benefit of all. If not, we will be just like everyone else.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back