Chances of getting on with a Major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ivauir said:
I do enjoy 121 flying, even though it doesn't "thrill" like NOE on NVGs did, it is a different challenge

There are a few challenges out there in 121. Like........Taxing the airplane without putting the B Flight Attendant in the corner pocket......Descending without everyone feeling weightless...........Climbing without everyone feeling the blood go out of their head.............braking without everyone eating the seat in front of them.............and my personal favorite, greasing it at Midway and not having to touch the brakes.

Last edited:
Poppa Hodax said:
...and I didn't have to be the Admin Officer, Combined Federal Campaign Officer, Toys for Tots Officer, or any of a dozen other crappy jobs required to get a good fitrep so I could remain in the service.

I had completely wiped CFC Duty from my memory banks until you had to bring it up! (Hands over ears) "LALALALALLALA...I'm not listening...make it go away"

Unit
Former All of the Above and Commmand Post DO too...

Poppa Hodax said:
But if you dismiss every aspect of aviation other than military flying, you are in for a long and lonely career.

After getting paid to ride a "Hog" for several years, renting a Moped just doesn't raise my blood pressure like yours. :D

Guys get out of the Navy after nine years with maybe 2000 hours. I have flown more than that in three years of 121 flying

I haven't flown 2000 hours in 10 years of 121! Then again, you Navy guys do like to spend a lot of time "together" in small areas! ;)

If you have to flare to land, you have to squat to pee.

Trust me ... flown with enough Navy guys to know you'all still require a little remedial training in that area. :D

PS ... you do know what a Moped and a fat chick have in common, don't you? Both fun to ride till your friends catch you! ("I crack myself up." <---- from your favorite movie)

Happy Trails Poppa ...

BBB

Just so you know what you are getting into, this is what I didnt think about enough before I got into flying:

Average worker hrs away from home per week/month/year : 40/160/1920
Average pilot hours away from home per week/month/year : 75/300/3600

Multiply that out over 25 yrs of flying and you just spent 42,000hrs/1750 days/4.79 years extra away from home as a pilot.

It's a huge price to pay. I like my job, but those are huge chunks of time to give away. If you have a family, stick with academics. I'd gladly trade my seniority for your situation.

So, the obvious question to me , without reading any of the other posts is, do you want to look back on your life and wonder, " what if "? If flying for a major is your dream, don't accept anything else. You have the college background, you're just lacking flight experience. If you're looking to make big bucks, have a great retirement, and work 12 days a month, then you're too late. I had all of that at one time. Now I don't. Would I have it to do all over again, what would I change. Absolutely nothing! You can't put a price tag on personal gratification. If you have a choice to make on flying or having a career that might be more finacially rewarding, only you know the answer to that. But again, if your post is accurate, then flying is what you should do. Even after all the bs, it's still the best gig going. Good luck!
k2774 said:
I know I'll get the "anything is possible answers," but I have a question regaurding my future. It's been my dream since a child to become a pilot for a major airline, and I currently have about 425TT/18M at age 35. I also have a MS in Physics and have been accepted into a few PhD programs in physics.

My question is.......provided I continue to shell out thousands of dollars to work through my ratings ang forego the PhD program, do you think I will have a chance at getting a good "return on my investment" by getting on with a major......or any lucrative flying job for that matter?

Although a dream, I'm trying to rationalize of shelling out $30-40 on flight training, and the furthest I can go is to a regional or small cargo carrier.

What would you do if you were in my shoes.....I guess that's the gist of my question. Thanks in advance for the responces.

321 busdriver said:
So, the obvious question to me , without reading any of the other posts is, do you want to look back on your life and wonder, " what if "? If flying for a major is your dream, don't accept anything else. You have the college background, you're just lacking flight experience. If you're looking to make big bucks, have a great retirement, and work 12 days a month, then you're too late. I had all of that at one time. Now I don't. Would I have it to do all over again, what would I change. Absolutely nothing! You can't put a price tag on personal gratification. If you have a choice to make on flying or having a career that might be more finacially rewarding, only you know the answer to that. But again, if your post is accurate, then flying is what you should do. Even after all the bs, it's still the best gig going. Good luck!

i'll second what he said. and i can say the same thing about about my career path. you gotta sift through the bs--but it is still a sweet gig:)

radarlove said:
Again, in my experience (yours may vary) it takes about fifteen years start to finish to make it to a major airline job. If you're female or a minority, or daddy bought you a 152 when you were 14, then things can be different.

Bite me.....it took me 15 years start to finish too.

HoursHore said:
You went to all the trouble to imitate Ty Webb's Avatar, profile, aircraft flown, signature, all the way down to muck raker, and the best you came up with is.
.....I eat my poop?

:rolleyes:

Heh-heh. I just saw this.

Boy, they just don't make trolls like they used to.

Sigh.

Latest resources

Back